Are People Sleeping on the Wizards?

With the talk about Boston/Cleveland/Orlando, do you guys think Washington is being overlooked? I don't really know how they match up just yet, a lot of questions still need to be answered, but look at their roster.

PG: Arenas/James/Crittenton

SG: Foye/Young/Stevenson

SF: Butler/Miller/McGuire

PF: Jamison/Blatche

C: Haywood/McGee

That's a [expletive] load of talent. They have a nice trio of vets, Arenas/Butler/Jamison. The trade for Foye/Miller just added to their fire power. Not to mention they have a great collection of young talent in Javaris Crittenton, Nick Young, Dominic McGuire, Andre Blatche, and JaVale McGee, who had a very promising rookie year.

The only question for this team IMO, is how well Arenas will play after his injury. Chemistry could be a problem at first, but I don't see it being much of an issue later on in the season, when everybody familiarizes with each other.

The only downfall for this team, I guess is defense. But look at all the fire power they have on that squad. Pretty scary if you think about it, they remind me of the Mavs/Suns a few years back. This team can just pile up points on you, and they're very very deep and talented. I think if all goes according to plan, they can give the Big 3 teams of the east a run for their money.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller is obviously starting or playing behind Foye for more minutes. Unless they want to waste him behind Butler.

They really don't have "that" playmaker. Arenas is going to take shots away from Butler and Jamison. Both who thrived without him. Biggest issue is chemistry and I still don't see them as a top 4 team because of that.

Miller is obviously starting or playing behind Foye for more minutes. Unless they want to waste him behind Butler.

They really don't have "that" playmaker. Arenas is going to take shots away from Butler and Jamison. Both who thrived without him. Biggest issue is chemistry and I still don't see them as a top 4 team because of that.

People frequently overlook Gilbert's passing ability. If anyone got a chance to see his first 2 games last season, I believe he had 20 assists and 1 turnover total in those 2 games. He passes smart and efficiently. Now that the Wizards have more weapons on their team, Gilbert will be put into the playmaking role and will look to get his teammates open shots. I expect his scoring total to go down but his assist total to go up this upcoming season.

Arenas has played like 15 games the past two years. Noone even knows if he'll be that same all-star talent that he was and I Don't think he's going to be as good. If he is playing at a high level Washington will be an alright team. This team still has no bigs though and all their good players are perimeter oriented.

Arenas has played like 15 games the past two years. Noone even knows if he'll be that same all-star talent that he was and I Don't think he's going to be as good. If he is playing at a high level Washington will be an alright team. This team still has no bigs though and all their good players are perimeter oriented.

It can almost be a stated fact that Arenas won't be the player he used to be. But with the 2 weapons we just acquired, we don't really need him to be. He is a great passer and should look for open teammates more often than trying to set himself up for an open 3. I can really see the Wizards grabbing at least the 4th seed if all goes well.

So by looking at 2 games it means someone is a [expletive]ing great passer?

Sessions had a 24 assist game, does that mean he's the best PG?

That's not what I meant at all. I was using those 2 games as an example. Those specifically because he didn't shoot as much, and he got a chance to showcase his passing ability more. I've always known he was a good passer. If anyone here saw a Wizards game when Gilbert was healthy, you would see that every assist he got was always made by a smart/efficient pass. He's very smart on the offensive end, and people underrate that skill of his because he's known as a shooter/scorer.

If they are able to stay healthy (the biggest concern with the Wizards), play consistent enough defense (don't have to be great, just being able to get stops when they need it) and develop chemistry (talent doesn't mean much if the talent doesn't mesh well) then I would consider them to be the 4th best team in the East. It is pretty clear that the Wizards have one of the most offensively gifted lineups in the Eastern Conference, maybe even the entire NBA, but if they aren't able to stay healthy or get stops when they need them, they aren't going to be as good as they are capable of being. I definitely think that they are a lock for the playoffs and I would consider them to be the 4th best team in the East, but they can definitely slide down the standings.

They are going to be a very entertaining team to watch though, that is for sure.

Sorry but you can't legitimately contend contend when you have a SF playing PF. Wizards wasted that pick IMO, there had to be better value out there than Miller and Foye. Jamison at SF and Caron at SG is ideal IMO, if that team had a legitimate PF in there, then they'd be a threat as far as I'm concerned.

People sleeping on the Raptors :P

Edited by travesy3

Sorry but you can't legitimately contend contend when you have a SF playing PF. Wizards wasted that pick IMO, there had to be better value out there than Miller and Foye. Jamison at SF and Caron at SG is ideal IMO, if that team had a legitimate PF in there, then they'd be a threat as far as I'm concerned.

People sleeping on the Raptors :P

Not necessarily. Caron at shooting guard would work, but Antawn at the SF wouldn't be very effective. He is a strong post player who functions much more efficiently under the rim. That unorthodox scoop shot of his is his specialty. He's not the quickest guy though, but he's strong. That's why I think he's better suited for the PF spot. Caron should definitely be a slasher style shooting guard, rather than a SF.

Are you telling me you can't play in the post as a SF? I'll admit that I don't watch Jamison, and you obviously have a better feel for what he is capable of, but I want my PF's to be able to be the anchor of my defense along with my C. Jamison seems like a SF for me, the thing I hate about Bosh is the number of jumpers he takes, Jamison takes a considerable number of 3's as well.

The dude gets 0.3 blocks per game, unless you have Deke besides him then the Wizards have basically no defensive post threat.

Are you telling me you can't play in the post as a SF? I'll admit that I don't watch Jamison, and you obviously have a better feel for what he is capable of, but I want my PF's to be able to be the anchor of my defense along with my C. Jamison seems like a SF for me, the thing I hate about Bosh is the number of jumpers he takes, Jamison takes a considerable number of 3's as well.

The dude gets 0.3 blocks per game, unless you have Deke besides him then the Wizards have basically no defensive post threat.

Lol I never said SFs post up, but PFs play closer to the rim, and he functions well there. I will agree he is a below average defender, and barely even alters shots in the low post, which is a big reason why we get scored on so often in the paint because of our "swiss cheese" defense.

• Owner

Everyone, even Wizards fans, are shooting for that 4th seed.

According to just last season, a fourth seed is a 47-win season. A 5th would be 43 wins out East.

Now, obviously, that's not the correct and most accurate way to measure how a team is going to perform, but let's be real for a second: Washington has been in the bottom of the league in total defense in almost every season since 1997 or 1999 (already forgot the stat, but it's close). They have been injury-ridden since combining Arenas, Jamison and Butler.

They haven't won over 45 games since 1979.

In the last 21 seasons, they've missed the playoffs 16 times and have gotten out of the first round just once.

I find it hard to believe anyone is actually sleeping on this team. Using all of that information above, a 45-win season would be as far as I could go if I were making bets.

I'm scared of this team TBH. Their offense could explode at any time especially now with Foye and Miller. I predict a 5th seed for them because Atlanta is going to be pretty good too.

They really don't have "that" playmaker.

Obviously you've never seen Gilbert Arenas play.....or Caron Butler and Nick Young(work in progress) for that matter.

Arenas is going to take shots away from Butler and Jamison. Both who thrived without him. Biggest issue is chemistry and I still don't see them as a top 4 team because of that.

What are you talking about? Arenas has played with Butler and Jamison for 4 seasons now and Arenas' style of play has never been a problem for Butler or Jamison. If anything, Butler and Jamison are a lot better since they can shoot the 3 or drive to the rim off of Arenas' penetration and dish. The three of them together are almost unstoppable offensively and they only spread the defense out. Chemistry is not a problem whatsoever.

People tend to forget that the Wizards were first in the East for a little while in the 06-07 season when Gil dropping 50+ point games and buzzer beaters like it was nothing in December of 06 and January of 07. Matter fact, Eddie Jordan was named head coach of the Eastern Conference all-star team because they were first, but then injuries hit them. Jamison went down with a knee injury for a while, you guys know what happened to Gilbert and Butler was injured for the rest of the season because he hit his hand hard on the backboard going for the block. Since then, the Wizards have never really had a chance where they had a full season with their roster healthy. Plus with those injuries, it's only given more experience and playing time for guys like Dominic McGuire, Nick Young and Andray Blatche whose improved under gametime situations and they can really provide spark off the bench. Throw in proven veteran Mike Miller and the young Randy Foye and you EASILY have a top 4 seed.

The real question for the Wizards is whether or not they can play defense, at least when it really counts. That's been their problem every year and they can end up finishing on top of the Eastern Conference, but they won't get past the first round of the playoffs if they can't learn to play good, consistent defense. That's their real concern. Hopefully Flip Saunders will find a way to fix it.