Artest: "Cleveland Is 'Nothing' Without LeBron"

Lakers forward Ron Artest doesn't think the Cavaliers would be a playoff team without LeBron James.

"Actually I thought about that [Thursday]," Artest told CBS Sports.

"If you take LeBron off that team, no. They're not. They're nothing. Not that they're nothing, they're still human beings. But you take him off that team, no. I guess that's why they got me, to take him out of the game. [Thursday] it didn't work. They got us this year, so all we can do is move on from that and see what happens in the playoffs."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64231/20100123/artest_cleveland_is_nothing_without_lebron/

I wouldn't say that they would be nothing without LeBron as they would be able to be like the Bobcats last season and win games with their defense, but it is definitely reasonable to think that they would not be a playoff team without LeBron.

Then again, how many teams in the NBA can actually say that they would be a playoff team without their best player?

There are plenty of teams who can still perform well without their best player (Rockets are the best example). But in this case, Lebron is the one exception. Their entire offense runs through him, so you take him off, the Cavs are a bottom 5 team at best.

LMAO, just because he can't back his word up and be the LeBron stopped he claimed to be doesn't mean he needs to run his mouth.

Some teams build around a star and some teams get lots of above average talent (Pistons).

Artest could've used better words.

And the Lakers have been nothing without Kobe, especially against the Cavs this year. All that star power in Gasol, Odom, and Artest hasn't done much yet against us. So he's a hypocrite.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

Take Dirk off the Mavs, D-Will off the Jazz, CP3 off the Hornets, D-Wade off the Heat, KG off the Celts (look how bad they had been), Durant off the Thunder, Kobe off the Lakers (we've seen how he is relied on this year).......it's so overstated that it's just the Cavs that would "suck" without LeBron. For all the teams above, there would also be a substantial drop off.

CF-

I agree with most of your post. However, the Celtics have proven they can win without KG. They still have Allen and Pierce to hold down the fort and make them a playoff caliber team. As for your other statements, I agree. It's definitely not just the Lakers. It goes for about half the league. There's a reason teams tend to build around their best players.

I kind of agree with him. Although is goes both ways. I doubt the Cavs or Lakers would make the playoffs if they were each missing their star, LeBron and Kobe.

you seriously think the Lakers would miss the playoffs wit Farmar/Brown/Artest/Gasol/Bynum starting and Odom coming off the bench? lmao

Take Dirk off the Mavs, D-Will off the Jazz, CP3 off the Hornets, D-Wade off the Heat, KG off the Celts (look how bad they had been), Durant off the Thunder, Kobe off the Lakers (we've seen how he is relied on this year).......it's so overstated that it's just the Cavs that would "suck" without LeBron. For all the teams above, there would also be a substantial drop off.

While that's true, it doesn't disprove this topic's statement. The Cavs would be one of the bottom teams in the league without Lebron, as would the Mavs without Dirk, as would the Heat without Wade, etc.

I actually see this more as Ron praising Lebron's abilities and talents for taking such a roster and making them one of the best teams in the league.

But then again, you can look at it the other way around and cry about it.

If Ron said the exact opposite, that the Cavs would still be a great team without him, I bet all the nut jockers would be bashing Ron for taking shots at Lebron and being a hater.

LOL @ the crybabies.

• Like 2

Gdamnit please shut the hell up already Ron. He has no reason to be talking right now considering the pathetic defense hes played against the elite SF's this year. "Thats why they got me," please he needs a reality check, he couldnt guard a chair off the dribble anymore, real talk.

Im sorry Cleveland I apologize on behalf of my fellow LA resident, he is way in over his head. In my personal opinion the Cavs current team right now would be a playoff team in the East even without Lebron.

Gdamnit please shut the hell up already Ron. He has no reason to be talking right now considering the pathetic defense hes played against the elite SF's this year. "Thats why they got me," please he needs a reality check, he couldnt guard a chair off the dribble anymore, real talk.

Im sorry Cleveland I apologize on behalf of my fellow LA resident, he is way in over his head. In my personal opinion the Cavs current team right now would be a playoff team in the East even without Lebron.

Kinda selfish to say that considering our fans think were lotto without Kobe.

This is the only way for Artest to say LeBron is the best in the league :lol:

Anyways, he is right... the Cavaliers are one of the worst casts behind a star in the league IMO, the only players who you could replace LeBron with and this team would still be good are Dirk or Kobe.

This is as close to a one man team as the Sixers or Rockets back in the day with AI and Keem.

Also this team without LeBron straight up would not sniff the playoffs, lucky to get 25 wins to be honest. They would have a bunch of defenders and shooters sure, but without LeBron you could cut those open 3's by probably over 50%, Mo Williams was the 2nd best player on horrible Bucks teams, do you honestly think he could be the BEST player on a playoff team? Give me a break.

Edited by travesy3

The Suns were good when they centered around Shaq last year, so if the Cavs did that this year and since they have more talent than that Suns team did, I'd say we' have 40 wins around.

You think the Cavs minus Lebron have more talent than the full Suns roster when they had Shaq? I'd have to disagree with that...

Edited by Bulletproof

The Suns were good when they centered around Shaq last year, so if the Cavs did that this year and since they have more talent than that Suns team did, I'd say we' have 40 wins around.

You have to be able to score the ball to win, Shaq can no longer be the focal point of a team, and hasn't been able to for the past 3 seasons or so. Let's not forget Suns had a top 5 PG in Nash, a really solid big in Amare and a good wing in Richardson. Definitely a superior cast to the current Cavaliers cast. Again, you can believe that the Cavaliers would be in the playoffs without LeBron, just like I will continue to believe they would be a 25 win team without LeBron.

• Owner

When were the Suns good last year? They were 28-23 when coached by Porter, and that's when they centered around Shaq. That's on pace to win 45 games, which is out of the playoffs.

With Gentry back in and running a fast-paced offense, they went 18-13 to finish the season, despite the problems with Amare and his eyes.

And Steve Nash is more talented, and a better basketball player, than any two players not named LeBron James on the Cavaliers' roster, bro.

• Owner

The Cavs without LeBron...

Williams - Parker - Moon - Hickson - O'Neal

Kind of reminds me of...

Harris - Lee - D-Roberts - Jianlian - Lopez

Yeah, but you left out Varejao, West and Ilgauskas. Those three are pretty good players, and capable starters.

The Cavs wouldn't win 50 games without LeBron, probably wouldn't reach the 40-win plateau to be honest...but I think they'd come really close to 40.

And as far as the Nets are concerned, they are tanking. There's no way that team loses 70+ games if they really wanted to win.

Yeah, but you left out Varejao, West and Ilgauskas. Those three are pretty good players, and capable starters.

The Cavs wouldn't win 50 games without LeBron, probably wouldn't reach the 40-win plateau to be honest...but I think they'd come really close to 40.

And as far as the Nets are concerned, they are tanking. There's no way that team loses 70+ games if they really wanted to win.

The Nets also have Dooling, Williams, and Humphries. Maybe not quite as good in comparison, but they are also capable role players.

But you're right, they are tanking... for a reason. They couldn't get very far with VC, so without him.. might as well tank all the way down and get an extra piece or two for next year.

Anyway, the Cavs originally tanked to get LeBron, so if they lose him, well.. let's just say history tends to repeat itself.

The Cavs without LeBron...

Williams - Parker - Moon - Hickson - O'Neal

Kind of reminds me of...

Harris - Lee - D-Roberts - Jianlian - Lopez

It reminds me more of:

Felton - Bell - Wallace - Diaw - Okafor

Obviously Wallace is better than anybody that the Cavs would have, but it doesn't change the fact that the Bobcats managed to win 35 games last season off of nothing more than their defensive ability as they were one of, if not the worst offensive teams in the league last season. The Cavs would employ the same stategy of trying to grind out low scoring wins as they would have a very similar philosophy from their coach and similar player personel.

I don't know though, I could be wrong here, but I don't think that the Cavs would be any worse than a 25 win team if they didn't have LeBron. The Bobcats managed to win 35 games last season without any offense what so ever because they were so good defensively. Its not like losing LeBron takes away the Cavs defensive identity. They definitely wouldn't make the playoffs but I don't think that it would be unrealistic to say that they could possibly win 25-30 games off of their defense.

It reminds me more of:

Felton - Bell - Wallace - Diaw - Okafor

Obviously Wallace is better than anybody that the Cavs would have, but it doesn't change the fact that the Bobcats managed to win 35 games last season off of nothing more than their defensive ability as they were one of, if not the worst offensive teams in the league last season. The Cavs would employ the same stategy of trying to grind out low scoring wins as they would have a very similar philosophy from their coach and similar player personel.

I don't know though, I could be wrong here, but I don't think that the Cavs would be any worse than a 25 win team if they didn't have LeBron. The Bobcats managed to win 35 games last season without any offense what so ever because they were so good defensively. Its not like losing LeBron takes away the Cavs defensive identity. They definitely wouldn't make the playoffs but I don't think that it would be unrealistic to say that they could possibly win 25-30 games off of their defense.

I don't see the comparison as far as individual players go, except for Moon being a deadman's version of Wallace. I do agree that the Cavs have good team defense, though not quite as good as the Bobcats on that end without LeBron, plus they got the wrong Brown.

25-30 wins sounds about right, and I'd also say a healthy Nets team with Lawrence Frank coaching should also have a 25-30 win record if they weren't tanking. Neither team is playoff material, though, and in that situation, the Cavs would be looking for a new face to cover their franchise.

Edited by Poe