Pronger to Philly - Bouwmeester to Calgary

fly3rs18

The Philadelphia Flyers made the biggest early splash at the NHL draft when they acquired star defenseman Chris Pronger on Friday.

Pronger and prospect Ryan Dingle went from the Anaheim Ducks to Philadelphia for forward Joffrey Lupul, defenseman Luca Sbisa, first-round picks in 2009 and 2010 and a conditional third-round pick in 2010 or 2011.

The 34-year-old Pronger, who had 11 goals and 37 assists in 82 games last season, is going into the final year of a contract that will pay him $6.25 million next season.

link

The Calgary Flames have added Jay Bouwmeester to their already impressive defense corps, at least for the next four days.

Bouwmeester, who is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday, was acquired by Calgary in a trade with the Florida Panthers as the NHL entry draft wrapped up Saturday with the final six rounds at the Bell Centre.

Florida acquired Jordan Leopold—also on the verge of free agency—and a third-round pick, which the Panthers used to draft right wing Josh Birkholz 67th overall.

The trade gives Flames GM Darryl Sutter a window of exclusivity in negotiating a new contract with Bouwmeester and his agent, Bryon Baltimore.

link

Edited by fly3rs18

yeah, it will be hilarious if calgary doesnt sign him. bouwmeester doesnt have to sign if he doesnt want to and it would be smarter for him to just wait and let people bid like crazy over him

and im still a little mixed on the pronger trade but if he can bring a stanley cup to philly then it is good. they are pretty much trading 3 first round picks and lupul for him, which is a lot for a defensemen who will only play a few years here. but pronger will be absolutely loved by philly fans. philly loves guys who will beat the crap out of the other team, and i dont know if there is any player in the league better at that then pronger. he will be looked at like a god

Edited by fly3rs18

I have found it hilarious reading various Flyers message boards the past couple days. All of the gayboy fans who had man crushes on Sbisa HATE this trade. It was so predictable. The same sort of thing happened when Upshall got dealt. I loved Sbisa too and I think he will be a top 2 or 3 defenseman in a few years, but lets get real, we just traded for one of the most intimidating presences in the game. He still can play a bit too. This was seriously the one gaping hole on this roster last year and now it has been addressed without giving up anything from the NHL roster than can't be immediately replaced from within the organization. I don't get how any Flyers fan can be upset with this. What does this mean? It means we better win a Cup sometime in the next 2-3 years (assuming, well, hoping that we can get Pronger extended), or else this trade will eventually look like a disaster. As long as we win something though, great deal. I have very high expectations for this team now. All we have to do now is get a backup goalie in here and resign Knuble (which is unlikely, so either that or find another big forward). I would love it if they could find somebody to take Jones' contract. That would really help out with the cap situation.

It's a great trade for the flyers. Chris Pronger is an elite defensemen and a former Norris Trophy winner as well as League MVP(that [expletive] isn't common for defensemen). And before I hear the "oh well he's old" playing card he is still playing at an elite level. Sbisa is never going to be half the player Pronger is so I have no problem giving him up. The draft picks won't be that good since we're going to be a very good team for the next few years so that's not a biggie either and a forward like Lupol is easily replaceable. We had 6 guys get 25+ goals last year and that's not even including Briere.

This teams defense was pathetic at the end of the year. Sbisa wasn't doing [expletive] to help things so why not bring in one of the best the game has to offer? Ever since Hatcher stopped playing this team had a glaring need for a physical defender that is going to scare people. We need a guy to hit and physically abuse Crosby/Malkin who beat us year after year. It's going to change the way those guys play against us. The Penguins are the team we need to beat and with only one consistently good defender on our team(Timmonen) we're not going to cut it.

The only way this trade isn't good is if Pronger doesn't resign with us next year and we don't win the Cup this upcoming season. If we win a Stanley Cup theres no way this trade isn't worth it though regardless of what else happens.

It's a great trade for the flyers. Chris Pronger is an elite defensemen and a former Norris Trophy winner as well as League MVP(that [expletive] isn't common for defensemen). And before I hear the "oh well he's old" playing card he is still playing at an elite level. Sbisa is never going to be half the player Pronger is so I have no problem giving him up. The draft picks won't be that good since we're going to be a very good team for the next few years so that's not a biggie either and a forward like Lupol is easily replaceable. We had 6 guys get 25+ goals last year and that's not even including Briere.

This teams defense was pathetic at the end of the year. Sbisa wasn't doing [expletive] to help things so why not bring in one of the best the game has to offer? Ever since Hatcher stopped playing this team had a glaring need for a physical defender that is going to scare people. We need a guy to hit and physically abuse Crosby/Malkin who beat us year after year. It's going to change the way those guys play against us. The Penguins are the team we need to beat and with only one consistently good defender on our team(Timmonen) we're not going to cut it.

The only way this trade isn't good is if Pronger doesn't resign with us next year and we don't win the Cup this upcoming season. If we win a Stanley Cup theres no way this trade isn't worth it though regardless of what else happens.

Why have you always had such a big problem with Sbisa? The kid was 18 last year and he slid into the lineup and looked like he belonged the whole way through. You are the only person I have ever seen who complained about him. He is going to be awesome in a couple years.

Why have you always had such a big problem with Sbisa? The kid was 18 last year and he slid into the lineup and looked like he belonged the whole way through. You are the only person I have ever seen who complained about him. He is going to be awesome in a couple years.

He didn't do anything to impress me when he played. I don't care how old he is, I want someone that can come in and kick some [expletive]. Sbisa will never in his entire career be anywhere near the impact player that Pronger is. This is a legend we're talking about and comparing to a guy that hasn't done [expletive] yet.

Only thing about Pronger is his desire to win still. They talked about that a lot on TSN about him already won the Cup so if he will have the same heart into it. I still believe he's better than trying to pick up any of the goalies in FA cause Pronger helped Hiller and JSG look amazing.

Only thing about Pronger is his desire to win still. They talked about that a lot on TSN about him already won the Cup so if he will have the same heart into it. I still believe he's better than trying to pick up any of the goalies in FA cause Pronger helped Hiller and JSG look amazing.

in every interview ive heard from a player who has won, they always say how winning one makes you want to win another even more. i dont know if that is always true but it certainly makes sense

but the goalie thing is true. the flyers D is looking pretty strong, hopefully pronger and timonen can do the same for emery

He didn't do anything to impress me when he played. I don't care how old he is, I want someone that can come in and kick some [expletive]. Sbisa will never in his entire career be anywhere near the impact player that Pronger is. This is a legend we're talking about and comparing to a guy that hasn't done [expletive] yet.

you cant say that sbisa sucked because he didnt impress you this year. he is 18 years old and played 40 games in the NHL. there are very few players who even get into the NHL at 18. not only did he get to the NHL, but he played really well, good enough to make the flyers keep him in the NHL for as long as they possibly could. obviously he is no all-star right now, but he has a ton of potential and i would not be surprised to see him as a star on anaheim in a few years

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2008/round1/

there is the 2008 draft, when sbisa was drafted. a lot of the guys drafted above him have not made it to the NHL yet. even go back to the 2007 and 2006 drafts and a lot have still not even made it yet. it says a lot when an 18 year old guy can come into the league and play well. obviously he is no crosby or kane at age 18, but he certainly played really well

Edited by fly3rs18

Both teams got exactly what they wanted. The Flyers want a Stanley Cup either this year or next, and the Ducks got a lot more flexibility and a bunch of young pieces to add to that already young nucleus.