Big day for Maple Leafs

Phightins

It's already been discussed a bit in the NHL season thread but I feel like this needs it's own thread.

Trade 1:

Toronto gets:

Dion Phaneuf

Fredrik Sjostrom

Keith Aulie

Calgary gets:

Matt Stajan

Jamal Mayers

Ian White

Niklas Hagman

Trade 2:

Toronto gets:

JS Giguere

Anaheim gets:

Vesa Toskala

Jason Blake

I just don't get why Calgary would do this deal. Bouwmester is having a terrible year yet they decide to keep him over Phaneuf which puzzles me.

I still don't see Toronto making an impact anytime soon. Phaneuf has degressed these past two years and JSG has been horrible too. Positive is that he gets to play with his former goalie coach from when he won the cup but other than that, they lost a lot of scoring so I assume he will sign Kadri in the offseason so they'll go into next year as a "top three" by the media.

This is an amazing deal, let's be honest with ourselves, none of those players are (or should be at least) in the Leaf's long term future, they are all 3rd liners, or borderline second liners at best. All extremely expendable IMO.

Phaneuf is a star, Kessel is a borderline star, both of these guys are two legitimate core players. I think Burke is doing a solid job at adding core players when he had no core players to begin with.... it sucks we had to give our first for a guy like Kessel but getting Dion pretty much cancels that out IMO.

This is an amazing deal anyway you slice it, we are not making the playoffs, and even if we do at this point it would just be a bonus.

I don't get why Calgary trades a franchise defensemen for essentially depth.

I don't understand the Giguere trade at all, from Toronto's perspective. Seems entirely pointless.

Brian Burke loves his Ducks guys and Toskala was really really bad. I still don't see this as an amazing deal for the Leafs because Burke already [expletive]ed up on the Kessel deal no matter how you look at it. Bringing in guys who hit first before defense is not a good combination but nobody can truely judge until a couple years down the road.

I think the Flames made a trigger happy move based on their recent losing skid. That being said, Dion was reportedly not well liked in the locker room, and he wasn't playing at a high level. He's a puke, he's a [expletive]ty player, and he's been put on a pedestal by Flames fans for a bunch of garbage play.

Brian Burke loves his Ducks guys and Toskala was really really bad. I still don't see this as an amazing deal for the Leafs because Burke already [expletive]ed up on the Kessel deal no matter how you look at it. Bringing in guys who hit first before defense is not a good combination but nobody can truely judge until a couple years down the road.

Yeah. I understand that Toskala has been bad and I get why they wanted to get rid of him, but Giguere has a huge cap hit. Is there really enough of an upgrade (if any upgrade at all) from Gustavsson to Giguere to make it worth taking that contract on? If this was the only way to get rid of Toskala I get it I guess, just seems like a huge step backward, especially for a team as bad as the Maple Leafs.

I think the Flames made a trigger happy move based on their recent losing skid. That being said, Dion was reportedly not well liked in the locker room, and he wasn't playing at a high level. He's a puke, he's a [expletive]ty player, and he's been put on a pedestal by Flames fans for a bunch of garbage play.

I agree. I have never been that high on Phaneuf. Honestly I don't think he is much better than Ian White.

Yeah. I understand that Toskala has been bad and I get why they wanted to get rid of him, but Giguere has a huge cap hit. Is there really enough of an upgrade (if any upgrade at all) from Gustavsson to Giguere to make it worth taking that contract on? If this was the only way to get rid of Toskala I get it I guess, just seems like a huge step backward, especially for a team as bad as the Maple Leafs.

Because Brian Burke likes hearing his own name. He does things like this to get his name in the media.