Trade Official: Clippers, Washington, Cleveland Agree to Deal

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you expect them to get? I mean honestly the market value for trading is horrible right now, just look at the offers a legitimate all-star big in Amare is getting. Expirings and a first (albeit a late first) are good enough, you knew they wanted Hickson but they couldn't pass on the expirings, knew they would fold and take the offer eventually.

And now LeBron has his legitimate 2nd offensive option, no more excuses for LBJ, get your ring.

• Owner

We also get two expirings and get under the luxury tax.

Right, but you'll have six total players signed if the team exercises Howard's team option this off-season, and altogether, that's $30 million on your payroll. Arenas, Howard, Blatche, Young, McGee and Thornton. Everyone else expires (unless I'm missing out on a player/team option I don't know about).

If the cap decreases again, that means the luxury tax threshold decreases slightly, and that gives you guys roughly $25 million to spend for another 6-7 players. Give one of those players (your high pick) $4-5 million.

What I'm getting to is this: you'll have $20 million to land a big-name free agent...but obviously, you can't go too big with it. Instead, it looks like you'll be spending small, and this is all without Mike Miller's $10 million, without Foye's $5 million (still assuming you're going to let all of them go to make a run at that big free agent).

Otherwise, if you keep Mike and Randy...that's another $15 million added to the books, with the rookie's $4-5 million. At the end of the day, you'll have to start signing minimum contracts to fill your roster.

Just enough money to breathe, not enough to make a run for contention. To me, that's what happened here.

What do you expect them to get?

Any young player, expiring or not. Anyone except Al Thornton. Hickson may not be the ideal starting power forward for most teams, but he would've been a better prize than Thornton, who struggles sharing the ball and has shown his bad attitude in the past.

I thought that there was no way the Wizards would trade Jamison to the Cavs because of their "rivalry"? :lol:

I actually don't mind the trade for the Wizards. Despite the fact that I don't like Thornton, he has had some good games in his career and still has some potential to him. After moving Butler the Wizards now have the perfect opening for Thornton to go out and show what he can do. If he sucks, big whoop, the Wiz will just let him walk at the end of the season. However, if he manages to play well and impress the Wizards they can resign him for relatively cheap in the summer (I don't think that Thornton's phone will be ringing off of the hook with offers).

Then there is the obvious fact that the Wizards clear Jamison's large salary off of the books and manage to get under the luxury tax. The only thing that is left for them to do this season is lose as many games as possible and hope that you are able to move up in the lottery to land somebody like John Wall or Evan Turner.

I imagine that Big Z is just going to get bought out and return to the Cavs in time for the playoffs.

This really isn't a bad haul for the Wizards considering that I imagine there were only a couple of teams that would be willing to take on Jamison's long term contract. It obviously isn't great, but it is officailly the start of the Wizards rebuild if you ask me. It won't yield immediate benefits, but it could easily pay off in the long term.

Clippers don't really get much out of the deal. I know that Thornton doesn't have much value at all but I would've assumed he could've gotten more than Drew Gooden.

On second though, nevermind, I thought that Telfair had a team option on his contract for next season, not a player option. This was more of a move to dump Telfair than anything else by the looks of it. Thornton didn't fit in their plans and was going to be gone regardless, so whatever.

Finally, love this move for the Cavs. As far as I was concerned, Jamison was the ideal scenario for the Cavs. His ability to stretch the defense is going to be a perfect fit alongside LeBron James and Shaquille O'Neal. It will only give the two of them more room to operate not only because of his ability to hit the outside shot, but also because of his all around offensive ability. Teams aren't going to want to double off of Jamison which means that a shooter like Parker, West, Williams or Gibson are going to seen an increase in the amount of open looks that they receive. This will help take some of the pressure off of LeBron as well because he know has a player who can create his own offense.

I don't even think that Jamison's lack of defense will be much of an issue either because the Cavs are a good enough defensive team to hide him. Even if it does become an issue, they can always just increase the minutes of Varejao whenever Jamison gets exploited defensively.

Like I said above, I imagine that Big Z will be bought out and return to Cleveland so they essentially gave up nothing more than a 1st round pick (will be pick 29 or 30 most likely) for Jamison.

Love the move for the Cavs, hate it as a fan of an Eastern Conference team.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I really hope the owners and everyone are upset over this because of course LeBron gets an All-Star help but when the Lakers do something, everyone is up in arms! Ugh, hate it SO much.

It is different because for one LeBron didn't demand a trade this past Summer, and secondly LeBron has never had help like Jamison, so if anything a move like this is long overdue.

Also lol at comparing Jamison to Pau, seriously.

Edited by travesy3

It is different because for one LeBron didn't demand a trade this past Summer, and secondly LeBron has never had help like Jamison, so if anything a move like this is long overdue.

Also lol at comparing Jamison to Pau, seriously.

My post was complete sarcasm. You haven't been here long enough to understand. ;)