The Random Thread

Lkr

i went to buy doodle jump last night and this made me laugh for some reason lol

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40554380/Photo%20Jun%2003%2C%209%2022%2038%20PM.png

Japanese dock torn off in tsunami floats to beach in Oregon

A large dock that floated ashore on a beach in Oregon was torn loose from a port in Japan by last year's tsunami and drifted across thousands of miles of Pacific Ocean, a state official said on Wednesday.

"This is a very clear threat," said John Chapman, a research scientist at Oregon State University's Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport, Oregon, where the dock washed up early Tuesday. "... It's incredibly difficult to predict what will happen next."

NOAA's tsunami marine debris coordinator, Ruth Yender, said if the Pacific were shrunk to the size of a football field, something like the dock would be the size of a human hair, making it very difficult to monitor, even from satellites.

http://www.onenewspage.co.uk/n/World/74rah805e/Japanese-dock-torn-off-in-tsunami-floats-to.htm

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/60747000/jpg/_60747002_60746994.jpg

Officials worry about creatures on tsunami dock

When the tsunami hit the northern coast of Japan last year, the waves ripped four dock floats the size of freight train boxcars from their pilings in the fishing port of Misawa and turned them over to the whims of wind and currents. One floated up on a nearby island. Two have not been seen again. But one made an incredible journey across 8,050 kilometers of ocean that ended this week on a popular Oregon beach. Along for the ride were hundreds of millions of individual organisms, including a tiny species of crab, a species of algae, and a little starfish all native to Japan that have scientists concerned if they get a chance to spread out on the West Coast.

A dozen volunteers scraped the dock clean of marine organisms and sterilized it with torches Thursday to prevent the spread of invasive species, said Chris Havel, spokesman for the state Department of Parks and Recreation, which is overseeing the dock's fate. The volunteers removed a ton and a half of material from the dock, and buried it above the high-water line, Havel said. Biologists have identified one species of seaweed, known as wakame, that is native to Japan and has established in Southern California but has not yet been seen in Oregon, he said. While scientists expect much of the floating debris to follow the currents to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, an accumulation of millions of tons of small bits of plastic floating in the northern Pacific, tsunami debris that can catch the wind is making its way to North America. In recent weeks, a soccer ball washed up in Alaska, and a Harley Davidson motorcycle in a shipping container was found in British Columbia, Canada.

How the dock float — 165 tons of concrete and steel measuring 20 meters long, 5.8 meters wide and 2.1 meters high — turned up on Agate Beach, 1.6 kilometer north of Newport, was probably determined within sight of land in Japan, said Jan Hafner, a computer programmer in the University of Hawaii's International Pacific Research Center, which is tracking the 1.5 million tons of tsunami debris likely floating across the Pacific. That's where the winds, currents and tides are most variable, due to changes in the coastline and the features of the land, even for two objects a few meters apart, he said. Of particular concern was a small crab that has run wild on the East Coast, but not shown up yet on the West Coast, and a species of algae that has hit Southern California, but not Oregon. The starfish, measuring about 7.6 centimeters across, also appears to be new to US shores. Once the dock float got into the ocean, it was pushed steadily by the prevailing westerly winds, and the North Pacific current.

"If you have leaves falling from a tree ... one leaf will be moving in a slightly different direction from another one," Hafner said. "Over time, the differences get bigger and bigger and bigger. "Something similar is happening on the ocean."

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2012/06/08/officials-worry-about-creatures-tsunami-dock.html

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

Really? I don't live in the US but what state do you live in? Have you visited many other states?

I live in Florida, was born in Indiana and frequently went to Illinois, and grew up in California. I've been to those states, Michigan, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, and Texas. I'm actually hoping to go to Canada next summer. I could have gone yesterday for the hell of it but I don't have my passport or birth certificate on me(spending the month at my grandmas house in Illinois and driving back from visiting family in Detroit right now)

Costs Rica.. It was incredible. 7 days of swimming in the 80 degree Pacific

That's where my family is from. I'm surprised it wasn't raining the whole time. It's usually their winter time around now.

That's where my family is from. I'm surprised it wasn't raining the whole time. It's usually their winter time around now.

It stormed every afternoon for about 30 minutes to an hour and then cleared up. One day it rained from about 3 PM through the rest of the night, but that was it really.

Definitely the start of their rain, but it was good that everything was green. It was about 100 degrees every day and humid a [expletive] though lol

I live in Florida, was born in Indiana and frequently went to Illinois, and grew up in California. I've been to those states, Michigan, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, and Texas. I'm actually hoping to go to Canada next summer. I could have gone yesterday for the hell of it but I don't have my passport or birth certificate on me(spending the month at my grandmas house in Illinois and driving back from visiting family in Detroit right now)

Oh so you have at least travelled a lot within your country. I live in Canada but I've never been more then a 3 hour drive from where I live in Canada. I've been to Florida twice though, also New York a couple times (the state) and Michigan once. My family and I are going to Charleston SC in the fall to vist family though, so that should be cool. Speaking of that, does anyone who lives around there happen to know how far we would have to drive to get to Charlotte to get to a bobcats game? If not there then we might go to a Clemson basketball game ir something. If anyone has any info about that it would be great, thanks :)

My traveling history sucks. I went to Spain for 3 weeks when I was like 8 years old, then I went to Savannah Georgia, Washington DC, and New York all in one week during my senior year of high school. Aside from that, the furthest I have gone is to Tampa to visit my brother in medical school and to a beach 2 hours from where I live.