Could Greg Oden Be The Biggest Bust?

I know it is early in his career, and that he very well may be a stud someday, but if his career doesn't get on track soon, would you consider him the biggest bust in NBA history?

I honestly would because I have seen very few players that got even close to as much hype as he did going into the draft, and those we LeBron James, Sidney Crosby, and Reggie Bush.

I really hope he pulls through because I want to see him be a great player, but injuries for guys his size are hard to deal with.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

• Owner

Players considered busts are those who don't play up to expectations. Oden did. Injuries don't make a player a bust. If that was the case, you'd have to say that for accidents as well, and we'd all be calling Jay Williams a bust.

Players considered busts are those who don't play up to expectations. Oden did. Injuries don't make a player a bust. If that was the case, you'd have to say that for accidents as well, and we'd all be calling Jay Williams a bust.

He hasn't played up to expectations even when he has been healthy, and the hype he had was absurd.

• Owner

He hasn't played up to expectations even when he has been healthy, and the hype he had was absurd.

What? He was a top three defensive center in the NBA, arguably top two and right beside Howard. That's exactly what he was projected to be.

If Oden was able to play without picking up a foul every 4 minutes he would be in defensive player of the year talks, assuming he was healthy as well. He would be a better defender than D12 by the end of his rookie contract if he was healthy.

Everyone knew Oden would be a 15 point scorer in his prime at max, everyone thought he would be a mini D12 which is exactly what he is, when healthy. Durant is the better franchise player but Oden is a defensive anchor, players like that are extremely hard to come by.

Edited by travesy3

If Oden was able to play without picking up a foul every 4 minutes he would be in defensive player of the year talks, assuming he was healthy as well. He would be a better defender than D12 by the end of his rookie contract if he was healthy.

Everyone knew Oden would be a 15 point scorer in his prime at max, everyone thought he would be a mini D12 which is exactly what he is, when healthy. Durant is the better franchise player but Oden is a defensive anchor, players like that are extremely hard to come by.

15 point max is an understatement, I thought he could reach as high as 20.

Fine, he's not a "bust." He's just a player that was drafted with massive expectations that he never reached, and was taken before another player who is one of the top 10 in the league at age 21.

If that's not a "bust", then we need a new word that means the same thing as "bust", but doesn't offend you so much.

That's where we disagree.

I thought Greg Oden could be more than he has shown even when healthy, and the hype that led up to the draft was beyond crazy.

• Owner

Fine, he's not a "bust." He's just a player that was drafted with massive expectations that he never reached, and was taken before another player who is one of the top 10 in the league at age 21.

If that's not a "bust", then we need a new word that means the same thing as "bust", but doesn't offend you so much.

So if a player is killed in a car accident a year after he's picked #1 in the NBA Draft, you'd consider him a bust?

When healthy, Oden played up to his potential.

If I was in a game and someone ran their shoulder into my knee, destroying it and ending my career, that would automatically consider me a bust? Someone else's negligence, ruining my career, gives others the right to call me "less of a player" or a player that "didn't deserve the #1 pick" in the draft?

Oden deserved a top three pick. Calling him a bust means that he didn't deserve it.

• Like 2

So if a player is killed in a car accident a year after he's picked #1 in the NBA Draft, you'd consider him a bust?

When healthy, Oden played up to his potential.

If I was in a game and someone ran their shoulder into my knee, destroying it and ending my career, that would automatically consider me a bust? Someone else's negligence, ruining my career, gives others the right to call me "less of a player" or a player that "didn't deserve the #1 pick" in the draft?

Oden deserved a top three pick. Calling him a bust means that he didn't deserve it.

Great point, I also hate the bust label to players who were just unlucky, not lazy. Players like Darko and Patrick O'Bryant deserve it, not Len Bias, cant believe someone was actually arguing for him being a bust.

the man has played 82 games in total, he was definitely a force on both sides of the court. he has just been riddled with injuries.

Of course he wont be the biggest bust ever. There is a guy named Darko who I do think is a bust. He's been healthy for most of his career, was taken ahead of Wade, Bosh, Melo, Hinrich, *insert 80% of 03 class*. Oden was just getting into his groove before he got hurt. He was doing very well and it was great seeing him improve every game, because that's what he was doing, improving every game. And when he gets back, I know he'll recover from this set back.

It's not so much that Greg Oden himself is a bust, it's just the pick used on him. Whether it was due lack of ability, work ethic, or injury, no matter how you look at it, the #1 pick used on Greg Oden has been a failed pick, at least up to this point. If Oden ever gets healthy, he can certainly redeem himself and we can reevaluate.

It's the same thing with Darko Milicic. Darko never chose to be the #2 overall pick, yet Detroit chose him. Darko never developed to the level expected of a player drafted that high, so therefore, it was a failed pick. A bust.

It's the same thing with Jay Williams as well. Whether the motorcycle accident was his fault or not, and no matter how unfortunate it is for the player himself, the fact is he only lasted a single year in the NBA. As a draft choice, once again, a failed pick. A bust.

• Owner

It's not so much that Greg Oden himself is a bust, it's just the pick used on him. Whether it was due lack of ability, work ethic, or injury, no matter how you look at it, the #1 pick used on Greg Oden has been a failed pick, at least up to this point. If Oden ever gets healthy, he can certainly redeem himself and we can reevaluate.

It's the same thing with Darko Milicic. Darko never chose to be the #2 overall pick, yet Detroit chose him. Darko never developed to the level expected of a player drafted that high, so therefore, it was a failed pick. A bust.

It's the same thing with Jay Williams as well. Whether the motorcycle accident was his fault or not, and no matter how unfortunate it is for the player himself, the fact is he only lasted a single year in the NBA. As a draft choice, once again, a failed pick. A bust.

So you're separating the pick from the player? I've made this argument somewhere else, probably on the old OTR.

But I disagree with Darko, because he was scouted as a top player in the draft. He has been given the opportunity to prove it, and he failed, with no excuses whatsoever.

An unfortunate event, and a player not being able to play good basketball, are two different things. Darko is not a good player. Oden is a good player stricken with an unfortunate event. One is a bust, one isn't.

• 2 weeks later...

So you're separating the pick from the player? I've made this argument somewhere else, probably on the old OTR.

But I disagree with Darko, because he was scouted as a top player in the draft. He has been given the opportunity to prove it, and he failed, with no excuses whatsoever.

An unfortunate event, and a player not being able to play good basketball, are two different things. Darko is not a good player. Oden is a good player stricken with an unfortunate event. One is a bust, one isn't.

I don't think a player himself is ever truly a bust. Maybe a bust by perception, but a player doesn't choose what draft pick is used on him and what expectations people place on him.

A pick can be a bust, though. The higher the draft pick, the more value you should gain. If a first or second pick doesn't turn out to be a franchise player, no matter why it didn't happen, the pick is a bust.

Oden definitly hast to be top 5 in this category, although when he plays, he plays okay for them. Obvi he doesnt put up super star numbers, because Joel Pryzbilla starts over him, but he isnt garabage! The biggest bust of all time hast to be Len Bias, dude was drafted 2nd overral and didnt even play a single game for the Celtics.... Bust material for sure, yah dig?

I don't think a player himself is ever truly a bust. Maybe a bust by perception, but a player doesn't choose what draft pick is used on him and what expectations people place on him.

A pick can be a bust, though. The higher the draft pick, the more value you should gain. If a first or second pick doesn't turn out to be a franchise player, no matter why it didn't happen, the pick is a bust.

Well for one the first paragraph there sort of contradicts the second.

And second of all, let's take a look at some drafts:

2006 NBA Draft:

#1 Pick: Andrea Bargnani - Career averages of 13.5 points, 4.8 rebounds per game. Season average: 16.8 points, 6.2 rebounds per game

#2 Pick: LaMarcus Aldridge - Career averages of 15.9 points, 7.1 rebounds per game

Considering that Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay and Rajon Rondo, all arguably more successful players and much better values for their pick went much later than these two, does that make Bargnani or Aldrdige bust choices? Both have averaged over 16 points per game, both have found roles on their team and both have been very steady their whole career. Just because they most probably wont end up being the best pick in their draft does not mean that they are instantly busts. Neither of these guys will be the best player on their team at any stage of their careers either, but that's not to take away from the fact that they've very good players for the purposes they serve.

2005 NBA Draft:

#1 Pick: Andrew Bogut - Career averages of 12.7 points, 9.0 rebounds per game. Season average: 15.9 points, 10.2 rebounds per game

#2 Pick: Marvin Williams - Career averages of 12.0 points, 5.4 rebounds per game.

I don't think anyone has ever called out Bogut for not contributing probably the way he should considering that Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Danny Granger, Monta Ellis, Davis Lee etc went behing him (in some cases, far behind him). Nor will they ever, in my opinion. He'll end up being a steady force, but the reason for the Bucks success is because they finally have a player who can handle the ball and is willing to put the team on his back (Jennings). Bogut is and will continue to be the second or even third fiddle on most teams he's on.

The last time where you'll find the true definition of a bust, meaning a player who completely bombed out with such high expectations from the top two(with the exception of Thabeet this season) would be 2003 with Darko and 2001 where Kwame Brown and Tyson Chandler went #1 and #2 respectively. Aside from them and Adam Morrison, most top 3 picks have made solid contributions to their teams.