Birdman to resign with Nuggets

Get ready to flap your wings again. "The Birdman" is back.

Chris Andersen and the Nuggets have agreed on a five-year contract that could earn Andersen up to $26 million, the player's manager, Mark Bryant, said Tuesday night. This locks in one of Denver's most popular athletes for the next half-decade.

"We're ecstatic to stay in the community," Bryant said.

Andersen will make $3.7 million next season in his backloaded and incentive-based contract, which will help the Nuggets financially. They entered this free-agency period over the NBA luxury tax line of $69.92 million, which was announced Tuesday.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_12773201

A true class act... he really loves Denver and cares about Nuggets winning. He could have got a lot more money signing with other teams, but he chose us and even helped the team financially by agreeing to backload the contract. This is the only best time he can cash in really big, but he cut all communications with other teams and only wants to resign with us. Now, that's a player you love! :lol:

I didn't think we would resign him either, I thought he's a goner for sure as teams value a big who can block shots like he does... and never complains about playing time. Unlike Camby, he also knows his limitation on offense and keeps moving the ball and not forcing the issue. If you told me he'd sign for a $3.7 mil next season, I'd have said it's not possible... But in the end, I guess it's up to the Birdman :lol:

Edited by Snake

Nice contract for a player his caliber, he is just as improtant as a Bargnani or Varejao but he stayed loyal and took less money; I'm sure he could have made alot more money if he had opened up his options.

Edited by Confidence

Nice contract for a player his caliber, he is just as improtant as a Bargnani or Varejao but he stayed loyal and took less money; I'm sure he could have made alot more money if he had opened up his options.

There is now way in hell that Anderson is just as important to the Nuggets as Bargnani is to the Raptors. That is just absurd.

And for all of you people saying that he took a pay cut, I fail to see it. Just because he is making $3.7M next season doesn't mean much if you ask me because he will be making $8M by the end of his contract in which he will be a 36 year old player and not nearly as effective because his athleticism will start to decline by then. Just because the contract is back loaded doesn't mean that he is taking much of a pay cut to stay with the Nuggets if you ask me, unless you think that Anderson would be getting $8-$10M for 5 years on the open market and I don't think that he would be worth that at all and would be a horrible overpayment (much like the Varejao contract is a brutal over payment). The fact of the matter is that he is still $26M which is about what energy big men like Anderson are worth. I may be wrong, but I just don't think that a 5 year $26M deal for Anderson is much of a pay cut on his behalf.

It is great value for the Nuggets for the first year or two, but have fun paying an energy big man that relies completely on his athletic ability $8M when he is 36 years old.

There is now way in hell that Anderson is just as important to the Nuggets as Bargnani is to the Raptors. That is just absurd.

And for all of you people saying that he took a pay cut, I fail to see it. Just because he is making $3.7M next season doesn't mean much if you ask me because he will be making $8M by the end of his contract in which he will be a 36 year old player and not nearly as effective because his athleticism will start to decline by then. Just because the contract is back loaded doesn't mean that he is taking much of a pay cut to stay with the Nuggets if you ask me, unless you think that Anderson would be getting $8-$10M for 5 years on the open market and I don't think that he would be worth that at all and would be a horrible overpayment (much like the Varejao contract is a brutal over payment). The fact of the matter is that he is still $26M which is about what energy big men like Anderson are worth. I may be wrong, but I just don't think that a 5 year $26M deal for Anderson is much of a pay cut on his behalf.

It is great value for the Nuggets for the first year or two, but have fun paying an energy big man that relies completely on his athletic ability $8M when he is 36 years old.

Chris Andersen is as important to the Nuggets as Bargnani is to the Raptors. Are all Raptors fans homers?

The contract is back loaded, we probably won't end up paying him $8 million. Yes, you are wrong.

You fail to realize what "back loaded" means I think.

I doubt he would have gotten anymore money. Bargnani and Varejao have some upside in them even though they aren't worth their new contracts and are relatively young, Birdman is 31 years old with prior drug problems.

Edited by elcheato

http://www.indenvertimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/birdmancash-585x340.gif

:lmao:

This guy's blocking and alley oop dunks give the team momentum and he's a good player to keep around for chemistry. Good move by Denver. They can't afford to lose Anderson since they already lost Jones and possibly Anthony Carter/Kleiza.

I doubt he would have gotten anymore money. Bargnani and Varejao have some upside in them even though they aren't worth their new contracts and are relatively young, Birdman is 31 years old with prior drug problems.

Prior drug problems really don't mean much now that he's clean.