and so the Chicago Blackhawks are the BEST team in Hockey

reno

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't get how anyone from Philly can't be a Flyers fan. Last game of the season to make the playoffs, down 0-3 and come back added with a Finals apperance.

Unfortunately, almost everyone who wasn't prior to the Boston comeback jumped on the bandwagon. All of us who followed this team all year (and obviously in past years) can really appreciate how incredible of a run this was. The bandwagon jumpers, not so much.

Still the least interesting to me compared to bball, football, soccer, and baseball. This year was the year that i most payed attn to it. I prob at least watched 40% of all the Flyers playoff games.

I just think that saying the NHL isn't interesting is funny coming from an NBA fan, where you can basically predict the Finals matchup pre-season and have a 50/50 shot of being right. But hey, to each his own I suppose.

Not much of a NBA lately either.

NFL & European Soccer & MMA > All

Hockey is the best sport, if you have any sort of attention span it is definitely better, if you get to understand and appreciate the game, unfortunately most people just don't and would rather just stereotype it and make fun of it.

Anyways, the better team won in my opinion, the Flyers are stacked with offensive talent but they still need a legitimate goaltender, sorry but you are not winning the championship with any of the goalies who touched the blue ice for them at any point this year, Niemi is bad enough. Also do they have the money to keep this roster in tact much longer? There is a lot of talented guys on there who are I think would be making a lot of money.

The Flyers had the benefit of not having to play the Pens or Caps this year, I don't expect them to be in, or even sniff, the finals next year, but I definitely would not be surprised to see the Hawks there again, the way they just manhandled the West was pretty impressive. It was really awesome to watch Toews become a superstar over the past 8 months or so, Kane as well to an extent, but Toews is the complete package, hopefully he can keep it up, I love this kid's game.

Hockey in June is -_- though, they gotta do something about the schedule, this [expletive] is making me want to play hockey. Next year is the Leafs' year :)

Edited by travesy3

they still need a legitimate goaltender, sorry but you are not winning the championship with any of the goalies who touched the blue ice for them at any point this year

I am not sure if I buy that. Obviously on paper, you wouldn't think so, but they got to game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals with these guys, with 3 of the 4 losses in the series by just 1 goal. A bounce or 2 goes differently in this series and they do win a championship with these goalies. Just look at the Red Wings with Chris Osgood. Not the ideal situation for sure, but it can be done.

But with that said, the Flyers need a more stable goalie situation next year. Obviously injuries are out of anybody's control, but they can't have a situation again like they did this year where they are dressing 7 different goalies in the course of the season.

I am not sure if I buy that. Obviously on paper, you wouldn't think so, but they got to game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals with these guys, with 3 of the 4 losses in the series by just 1 goal. A bounce or 2 goes differently in this series and they do win a championship with these goalies. Just look at the Red Wings with Chris Osgood. Not the ideal situation for sure, but it can be done.

But with that said, the Flyers need a more stable goalie situation next year. Obviously injuries are out of anybody's control, but they can't have a situation again like they did this year where they are dressing 7 different goalies in the course of the season.

If you compare Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher to a goalie ranked 10th alltime in wins then that is your first problem.

If you compare Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher to a goalie ranked 10th alltime in wins then that is your first problem.

Yeah you're right it is a problem. Chris Osgood had a regular season GAA over 3 the last time he took his team to the Finals. He was even [expletive]tier than I gave him credit for, thank you for correcting me.

Edited by Phightins

Hockey in June is -_- though, they gotta do something about the schedule, this [expletive] is making me want to play hockey. Next year is the Leafs' year :)

me and my friends have been playing roller hockey a lot the past year or two, and there are been so many new and random people trying to play. there are 3 outdoor rinks nearby my house and all of them are almost always occupied now, a few months ago there was never anyone there

Yeah you're right it is a problem. Chris Osgood had a regular season GAA over 3 the last time he took his team to the Finals. He was even [expletive]tier than I gave him credit for, thank you for correcting me.

Yeah at 37 years of age at the downfall of his career. I'd take Osgood over Leighton anyday of the week. You don't seem to understand how good the Flyers defense is yet you claim to have watched every game?

Yeah at 37 years of age at the downfall of his career. I'd take Osgood over Leighton anyday of the week. You don't seem to understand how good the Flyers defense is yet you claim to have watched every game?

osgood right now or osgood years ago? if you are talking about osgood years ago then id absolutely take osgood. but id take young leighton over 37 year old osgood

and btw osgood recently was good for the same reason leighton is good, great defense

Edited by fly3rs18

osgood right now or osgood years ago? if you are talking about osgood years ago then id absolutely take osgood. but id take young leighton over 37 year old osgood

and btw osgood recently was good for the same reason leighton is good, great defense

But he came through. Just look at Chicago. Huet is almost even talent wise with Neimi but it's about getting the job done in those clutch times and that's why I'd take Osgood. Can you really say Leighton was clutch in those big moments?

But he came through. Just look at Chicago. Huet is almost even talent wise with Neimi but it's about getting the job done in those clutch times and that's why I'd take Osgood. Can you really say Leighton was clutch in those big moments?

leighton wasnt that clutch, but id still take him easily over a 37 year old goalie. you have to be able to keep the game close until the clutch times or none of it matters

leighton wasnt that clutch, but id still take him easily over a 37 year old goalie. you have to be able to keep the game close until the clutch times or none of it matters

And Osgood has proven that. Dude freaking won the Stanley Cup ten years apart. One of the only goalies to do that so you really don't know how much is in the tank. I'd just go with him compared to someone with years of experince rather than 100 games of experince.

It really isn't worth arguing with you. Have you read any post I have made?

Alright, so let me try to straighten a few things out here. Here is the initial point that I was attacked for:

Universe replies with:

I apologize if I didn't make it clear enough that I was referring to the 2008 and 2009 Red Wings teams that won the Western Conference. I really thought it would be obvious to you, since, you know, we were discussing teams with mediocre goaltending and world class defense playing well in the postseason. And yes, at this stage in his career, Chris Osgood is a mediocre goaltender. In fact, right now he is even worse than that (have you seen him play at all recently?). The last 2 regular seasons, he has had a GAA over 3 and a SV% under .900 (and it's even uglier if you actually watch him play now-a-days, the guy is flat-out done). I am not comparing Brian Boucher and/or Michael Leighton to Chris Osgood as far as an entire body of work for a career goes. If you would have actually read my post and not just picked through it for select words, you'd probably have realized this without me having to point it out to you right here. But for some reason, you skipped right over that. Not sure if it's just carelessness on your part, or if you legitimately could not understand a very obvious point I was making.

Anyway, Universe goes on to say...

Yeah (Osgood) at 37 years of age at the downfall of his career.

YES! EXACTLY! The entire argument is about comparing Michael Leighton/Brian Boucher NOW to Chris Osgood NOW. First, you bring up his entirely irrelevant career totals, and now you prove to me that you have not read a single word I have posted. Who cares if he is on the downfall of his career right now? If anything that proves my point even farther,that right now he is a [expletive]ty goaltender. Period. A [expletive]ty goaltender that has guided a team through the postseason 2 of the past 3 years due to superb play from his defenseman. (Does this sound familiar? Yeah it kind of reminded me to the 2010 Flyers too).

I'd take Osgood over Leighton anyday of the week.

You would? Really? Chris Osgood in his prime, no doubt. Chris Osgood now? I hope you are joking.

You don't seem to understand how good the Flyers defense is yet you claim to have watched every game?

This is the line that really got me. I "don't seem to understand how good the Flyers defense is"? What have I been using as evidence for why the Flyers made the right decision by not trading Giroux for Halak? Lets check the archives:

Yes, it is hard to justify trading that much, seeing as the Flyers almost took the Stanley Cup Finals to game 7 with 2 "AHL goalies" and that Halak wasn't particularly proven at the time of the trade deadline.

i think you mean flyers defense had a better GAA, cause thats really what it was.

That is exactly my point. Look how far this team got with mediocre goaltending. Why trade one of their great forwards for a guy who is definitely a better goalie than what they had, but would cause them to shake up the foundation of the team? Was not worth it

Like, really? I don't understand how good the Flyers defense is? Why on earth else would I be alright with having a mediocre goaltender like Michael Leighton? You said it yourself, Leighton gets lit up on a team like Montreal. But, you know, there HAS to be some reason I was OK with keeping him on the Flyers, right? Maybe it's because I realize that the Flyers have one of the best set of top 4 defensemen in the league? I make it even more obvious by clearly saying "that is exactly my point" when Fly3rs says how good the Flyers defensemen are. But like everything else, I am assuming you skipped right over that too.

Come on man, read.

Hope that straightens a few things out.

Edited by Phightins
  • Like 3

You are overrating Michael Leighton here. There was a reason he was put on waivers because he wasn't good without a great defense in front of him. Go to the Flyers and suddenly he finds his game? Cmon now.

Osgood got the unlucky draw of being the target of injuries to the Red Wings and Jimmy Howard got hot at the right time when everyone came back into the lineup. Like I said the guy has bounced up and down his entire career compared to someone who couldn't even crack the NHL before this?

I'm not saying Osgood is great or Martin Broduer but I'd take him over Michael Leighton at 37 years old. Osgood makes those saves in the playoffs and that's why he's got two rings earned. I don't get why you can't read that?

:lol:

Please point out to me where I have overrated Michael Leighton? I believe all along I have referred to him all along as the product of a great defense? To quote you, "I don't get why you can't read that?".

Also, I am laughing at you mentioning Finals GAA. Weren't you saying earlier that the Flyers GAA was a result of their defense? Oh wait, you did!

i think you mean flyers defense had a better GAA, cause thats really what it was.

Exactly.

So, now all of a sudden you want to heap the poor Finals GAA solely on Leighton? Coincidentally, Leighton's Finals GAA went through the roof in game 5 when he was pulled after a period for allowing 3 goals. You know what else happened in game 5? The Flyers top defensive pairing (Chris Pronger and Matt Carle) was a combined -8. So yeah, you can't have it both ways.

Please point out to me where I have overrated Michael Leighton? I believe all along I have referred to him all along as the product of a great defense? To quote you, "I don't get why you can't read that?".

Also, I am laughing at you mentioning Finals GAA. Weren't you saying earlier that the Flyers GAA was a result of their defense? Oh wait, you did!

So, now all of a sudden you want to heap the poor Finals GAA solely on Leighton? Coincidentally, Leighton's Finals GAA went through the roof in game 5 when he was pulled after a period for allowing 3 goals. You know what else happened in game 5? The Flyers top defensive pairing (Chris Pronger and Matt Carle) was a combined -8. So yeah, you can't have it both ways.

Yes and you guys said Osgood is the same as him, the product of good defense but look, his numbers are better which I've been saying all along!

I assume you'll try and post something else about how he's better but the facts are all there. Yes Ogood has good defense but he gets it done as well while Mike clearly even with one of the leagues best defensive teams like Flyers18 said, still allowed over 3 GAA.

You can try and "roast" me with this but I'm done with this topic as it won't go anywhere. We will never know unless they make the trade.

Yes and you guys said Osgood is the same as him, the product of good defense but look, his numbers are better which I've been saying all along!

I assume you'll try and post something else about how he's better but the facts are all there. Yes Ogood has good defense but he gets it done as well while Mike clearly even with one of the leagues best defensive teams like Flyers18 said, still allowed over 3 GAA.

You can try and "roast" me with this but I'm done with this topic as it won't go anywhere. We will never know unless they make the trade.

And as I just said, the Flyers top defensive pair was not as good as usual this series, especially from the 2nd half of game 4 on (one would assume they wore down as a result of playing a ridiculous amount of minutes, but I suppose that's just speculation). Do you really think it's a coincidence that the Flyers start allowing a bunch of goals when their defensemen start playing poorly? I think that proves the point I (and you actually) have been trying to make all along. This Flyers team goes as their top defensemen go.

And as I just said, the Flyers top defensive pair was not as good as usual this series, especially from the 2nd half of game 4 on (one would assume they wore down as a result of playing a ridiculous amount of minutes, but I suppose that's just speculation). Do you really think it's a coincidence that the Flyers start allowing a bunch of goals when their defensemen start playing poorly? I think that proves the point I (and you actually) have been trying to make all along. This Flyers team goes as their top defensemen go.

But who is the last guy back? That's the point I'm making. EVERYONE makes mistakes from Pronger to Lindstrom and that is where your goalie comes in.

Osgood shuts the door when his team made the mistakes while clearly Mike didn't.

Montreal is a clear example of that. The defense made tons and tons of mistakes that crushed us in the past with Carey Price but Halak rose and carried the team giving them a chance.

Do you understand yet?