What Does Denver Need To Become Serious Contenders?

It may just be me, but I don't really classify the Nuggets as a legitimate contender out West. Don't get me wrong, they are a very good basketball team, but there is just something about them that makes me think that they aren't really a threat to win the West. I know they made it to the WCF two seasons ago, but I still think that was about as good as it gets for them and would be surprised to see this current team get that far again, assuming everybody in the West is healthy.

So what do you think they need to become a serious threat out West? Do you think that they are already a legitimate threat to win the West?

We were the 2nd best team in the West before GK stepped down to treat his cancer... and only .500 team the rest of the way when he's gone, went from 2nd to 4th. It's not coincidence.

Firstly and most important, we need to address the rebounding and big production (both offense and defense)... Kenyon was sensational in the month of December and January (10+ rpg) but injury slowed him down. Nene is a big guy that can devour 12 rebounds every game if he wants to... but too many games he comes up with 3, 4, 5 rebounds, and 4, 5 shot attempts despite not being in foul trouble. When BOTH KMart and Nene have 4, 5 rebounds EACH, it spells disaster. But when they grab 10+ rebounds each, I don't think we lose too many of those games. It's just too many times I see Nene finish with 4, 5 rebounds... this has to be addressed. Kenyon has the will but he is injury prone. Bring someone who can rebound and we have not done anything to address this.

Secondly, J.R. represents a HUGE chunk of our bench production. Sadly, he's not reliable... he's too combustile and inconsistent. We don't need him to put 40 pts and 11 threes in one game, and then flop for the next 2-3 weeks of games... we need someone who can provide steady 15 ppg every night. Nothing spectacular/ explosive... just quitely steady. When he gives us 5, 6 pts on 20% shooting, that's when he hurts us. Not only lack of production off the bench but also the shot attempts that were horrible and should have been turned more efficiently.

Thirdly, I think we need Chauncey to slow down a little. He has history of burning out and fatigue in the post-season because he plays too much in the regular season... it's true! We need to save his legs... I am a BIG believer in Ty Lawson and I think he should step in right away and be the starter over Chauncey, who moves to bench role and still gives us 25 solid minutes per game. This helps Ty's development and save Chauncey's legs.

Fourth, let Arron Afflalo grow. I believe this guy can average 15 ppg this season... and be an outstanding outside shooter, a little bit more overall scorer and quality lock-down defender in one package. If we should improve from within, he and Ty Lawson will be accounted for the most improvement.

Verdict: I think we need to eliminate inconsistency... we do this and it's addition by subtraction. TRADE J.R. for a quality big © who can rebound, move Nene to PF and complement Nene. It astounds me we still have not made any attempt to trade J.R. or address our rebounding issue. The good thing is, I believe, there are plenty of teams out there who still believe in J.R.'s potential (I do think under master managers like Phil Jackson, J.R. can be molded into the player everyone knows he's capable of being) and we still can get a quality player in return if we trade him.

• Like 1

We were the 2nd best team in the West before GK stepped down to treat his cancer... and only .500 team the rest of the way when he's gone, went from 2nd to 4th. It's not coincidence.

Doesn't make Denver a contender. In all likelihood Denver has virtually no shot against LA/Boston/Orlando/Miami.

I am a BIG believer in Ty Lawson and I think he should step in right away and be the starter over Chauncey, who moves to bench role and still gives us 25 solid minutes per game. This helps Ty's development and save Chauncey's legs.

Eh...may sound OK in theory, but Billups has started every single game since the 2002-2003 season. It isn't that easy getting a guy who's essentially been a career starter, is the team's floor general and had a CAREER HIGH in points last season to take a backseat to a 2nd year player who's proven nothing on an NBA level besides being a decent back-up. Not saying that Billups wouldn't be happy to come off the bench if it was asked of him, but it'd be a pretty big adjustment for not only him, but the rest of the team. Besides, why would you want to take away the team's floor general and go-to veteran from the starting lineup besides saving him a few extra minutes?

Also, you guys now have Al Harrington. The bench will be fine and capable of spelling the starters a few extra minutes. Keep Billups as a starter and simply reduce his minutes. By far the best option.

Verdict: I think we need to eliminate inconsistency... we do this and it's addition by subtraction.

Agree. The way this team is set-up now, they don't have a shot at taking down the top 3-4 teams in the league. From a basketball standpoint they desperately need rebounding, and while Al Harrington will help, they need to make certain adjustments as teams beat up the Nuggets in that department. Other than that the team doesn't have any other glaring weaknesses from an X's and O's standpoint.

However, the inconsistency is certainly a major issue. It's not just the inconsistencies of the healthy players, but also the inconsistencies of the the injured players. Melo hasn't played 70 games or more in 3 of the last 4 seasons. K-Mart hasn't played 70 games or more in 4 of the last 5 seasons. Nene is historically injury prone, although has been healthy the last 2 seasons. Billups is getting older. Even George Karl had to miss major time last year, and I'm skeptical he won't miss some time this year (just not to the extent that he did last season). With so much uncertainty and instability, the team is doomed to fail.

It's important when I notion "benching" Billups doesn't mean "demoting" him. This is no promotion of Ty or demotion of Billups... but this is strictly about Billups' stamina. Saving it for the playoffs. We saw it two years ago where he was noticeably just fatigued vs. Lakers in WCF after 2 outstanding two series vs. Hornets and Mavs... and it's not like Fisher locked him down or Phil assigned Kobe on him. This past season, he was starting to slow down some 10 games before the playoffs vs. Jazz.

In other words, his benching is not because he's less valuable... but because he's still as valuable... but we need him when it counts.

Secondly, I have justified reasons why I think Ty is capable of being given the starting position:

- He's fundamentally super

- He's a very unselfish pass first PG

- He has high game IQ

- He's almost impossible to guard in most one-on-one situations with his speed

- And most importantly, he is one of the best young defensive guards in the L, he knows positioning, he uses his speed not only on offense but also on defense with quick footwork to stay in front of his man

- He is physically and mentally strong and can withstand the pressure of being a starter for a full regular season

Based on these, I know that he's going to be consistent and he can run a team with stability.

As much as GK loves Ty, I don't see this (Ty starting over Billups) happening... but I hope it does. If it doesn't, I just hope Ty gets 30 mpg... young gun should play more, let the older guy rest for the long run benefits... it's logic.

If there's one thing I'm very critical about Karl is he plays his 8 rotation players so many minutes and in contrast so little minutes to the likes of Malik Allen, Joey Graham... this results in the 8 players burning out and breaking down as the end of regular season approaches.

Snake, I watched the Jazz-Nuggets series intently, plus I have about three Jazz-Nuggets playoff games on tape I could rewatch, and I'd be shocked if players Lawson were guarding didn't shoot under 75% against him that series. He was eaten alive by Deron Williams, absolutely eaten alive. They just posted Williams up and Lawson was helpless, and Williams was able to beat him off the bounce by getting a half a shoulder past him.

Obviously Williams is kind of good and Lawson is better against quick guards (and did have some offensive success against the Jazz), but big guards will pulverize him. Until he shows he can be at least competent over extended stretches, I'd limit him to the role he had last year as a speedy tempo changer off the bench. He's not a bad player, but strong guards will annihilate him.

^Lawson is strong, and after summer of workouts he'll get even stronger. I think Deron "eating him alive" had a lot to do with Deron being not only the best PG in the L but also the best combination of speed and strength... and Ty showing up for his first ever playoffs as a rookie.

He is quick, he uses his quickness for his footwork to between his man and the rim, he has short but quick and strong hands, he is already one of the strongest PGs in the L (Billups said that last November), he is one of the best defensive PGs (George Karl said after about 15 games into last season that Ty was one of the few rookies he had during his coaching career that is so fundamentally good defensively... that's high praise considering he had Gary Payton)...

I think it has a lot to do with Deron being the superstar he is and Ty being a rookie.

But your argument here saying strong guards will annihilate him doesn't make sense since he's strong. If he was as thin as Darren Collison I'd understand your point... Here it is, I do think he has some slippage defensively in the playoffs... but during the regular season, he was definitely an above average defender. Any Nugget fan will tell you that. If you earn praise from George Karl defensively as a rookie, that you means you can play it.

Edited by Snake

I believe Ty could easily average 15 - 16 ppg now if he starts... making him a solid second option behind Melo.

J.R. is an automatic 14 ppg but he is too inconsistent. Nene could average 20 ppg but he is too "unselfish" (translation: not wanting responsibility).

My darkhorse to be the second option is Arron Afflalo. He can be a consistent 15ppg scorer + lock down defender... he's no question a hard worker but can he get there... we'll see.

I believe Ty could easily average 15 - 16 ppg now if he starts... making him a solid second option behind Melo.

J.R. is an automatic 14 ppg but he is too inconsistent. Nene could average 20 ppg but he is too "unselfish" (translation: not wanting responsibility).

My darkhorse to be the second option is Arron Afflalo. He can be a consistent 15ppg scorer + lock down defender... he's no question a hard worker but can he get there... we'll see.

None of those guys are good 2nd options...not even close. They might be able to put in 15-16PPG, but they aren't going to be able to consistently create their own offense in critical games or help take over when Melo is off. Billups is the only one on the roster remotely suitable to do that. All the elite teams have better 2nd scoring options than the Nuggets (Lakers, Celtics, Heat, Magic(.