Sources: Nelson out in G.S.

Dzy

Don Nelson has been pushed out as Golden State Warriors coach and replaced with assistant Keith Smart, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Nelson, the all-time winningest coach in NBA history, will officially resign and accept a settlement on the $6 million owed him on his contract.

New Warriors owner Joe Lacob was determined to replace Nelson as coach, and Nelson, sources said, was glad to take his money and return to retirement in Hawaii.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Arj6QetO_1Hszhw4xcEfvay8vLYF?slug=ys-nelsonwarriors092310

I'm maybe exaggerating but I think it's horrible news for the Warriors. Nelson is one of the best coach in NBA history and that would be horrible to see him leave. Let's hope he's not stepping down for health conditions.

You know he's being 'pushed out' as opposed to 'stepping down' right? :huh:

Citing two sources, CSNBayArea.com reports that Don Nelson is set to step down as head coach of the Warriors.

Keith Smart, a longtime assistant coach in Golden State, will take over for Nelson.

Nelson was in his second stint with the Warriors, one that peaked with an appearance in the 2007 NBA Playoffs.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69237/20100923/don_nelson_to_step_down/#ixzz10P9dwS00

here is my other point of view:

It was about time but it's sad to see him go! anyways, I think the Warriors should try to get Mike Brown or something because they're already one of the best team offensively. If they have Mike Brown, a coach with a defensive mind-set, they should do way better then last year and with David Lee, Curry and Ellis running the show, I expect them to be close of making the playoffs

• Owner

How good of a coach is Keith Smart? I don't know much about the guy. Is he good enough to potentially lead the Warriors to the playoffs, or is it best they look for a different coach?

The only things I know about Keith Smart? He went to Garden City CC (in Kansas), he hit a game-winner to win a National Championship back in the late 80s (for Indiana), and he coached the Cavs (and was pathetic, but with a pathetic team) the season before they drafted LeBron. :lol:

Sorry haven't been on to post about this, but my thoughts are: :D :D :D

It was bound to happen sooner or later, but I did not expect for it to happen before this season started. As for Keith Smart, he seemed somewhat of a Nelson clone during the games that he coached. From what I hear though, it was only because the front office wanted him to coach as if Nellie was coaching. I don't think he plays small ball or does too much run n gun. We should be able to play more defense (obviously without Nelson), but I don't think Smart will fill the need of head coach of Golden State.

Personally, I would love for Jeff Van Gundy to coach the Warriors. A defensive minded coach is what I would like, but I don't see it happening yet. As for Mike Brown, no thanks.

Edited by Legacy

Don Nelson has been an excellent coach most of his coaching career, but these last few years at Golden State have been a wreck. I'm not sure what it is, really...but there's something missing, maybe the desire.

Dallas happened.

Team could never live to those expectations after that as the peices all fell apart IMO.