Source: Melo Approves Trade To Nets

Lkr

According to the New York Daily News, a "reliable source" reports that Carmelo Anthony has approved a trade to the Nets.

Presumably this means that Anthony would agree to a long-term contract extension upon a trade to New Jersey.

A trade could be agreed upon as early as Saturday.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69257/20100924/source_melo_approves_trade_to_nets/#ixzz10UtMqvbK

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melo interested in 45 wins? Sweet.

It's either that or staying with Denver because Chicago and New York didn't have the pieces to pull off a deal. And it seemed pretty clear that Denver didn't want to deal him to Houston or LA either...

This is a great move for Melo. New Jersey is in a great position right now, they have the financial flexibility to sign future FA's, and it's no guarantee that they're done with trading for players.

They have an up and coming big man who has a good chance of making the All Star Game this season, a proven head coach in this league, and now a guy who they can successfully build around.

why does melo have to 'approve' where he gets traded to?

He's approving it to the Nets organization, not the Nuggets. The Nets don't want to give up Harris and Favors only for Melo to leave when his contract expires. They have to know for sure if Melo will sign that extension.

Report: Melo hasn't approved trade yet.

Contrary to an earlier report, Carmelo Anthony reportedly has not yet decided whether to agree to a long-term contract with the Nets.

"The Daily News reported Friday night that Anthony had consented to the trade. A person close to Anthony said that decision had not been made," wrote Howard Beck of The New York Times. "The person requested anonymity because he did not want to jeopardize his relationship with Anthony."

A four-team trade is near completion. But Anthony essentially holds veto power because New Jersey will not part with significant assets unless Anthony agrees to a contract extension with the team.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69258/20100924/source_close_to_melo_disputes_hes_agreed_to_join_nets/#ixzz10VxSOuO7

Haha, you can talk big about the winning situation of the Nets but we bring up the Knicks and you put your tail in between your legs and post something like this.

No, I brought up the valid point that he's leaving a team fresh off of 53 wins for one fresh off of 12... He'd be lucky to win 45 in New Jersey. What Amar'e has to do with... well... any of this is beyond my comprehension. But... okay. Good talk.

Edited by Chicks Love Hakeem Nicks

No, I brought up the valid point that he's leaving a team fresh off of 53 wins for one fresh off of 12... He'd be lucky to win 45 in New Jersey. What Amar'e has to do with... well... any of this is beyond my comprehension. But... okay. Good talk.

Where is the 12 win team? Oh right there was a thing called an off-season where we grabbed a new head coach, new general manager and a whole new roster but we just got scrubs so I guess another 12 win season.

And Amare is coming off a 54 win season and he signed with a team that won 33 games and hasn't gotten past the first round in over ten years....but good talk.

Where is the 12 win team? Oh right there was a thing called an off-season where we grabbed a new head coach, new general manager and a whole new roster but we just got scrubs so I guess another 12 win season.

I said "fresh off a 12 win season", which is true. Added 6th men in free agency, certainly you did. You'd also lose Devin Harris and Derrick Favors in the deal, leaving you with Melo, Brook... uh... Jordan Farmar? Travis Outlaw? Yes, greatly improved. Not what Denver has, though. Not by a long shot. Which was my point... He's leaving Denver for a downgrade.

And Amare is coming off a 54 win season and he signed with a team that won 33 games and hasn't gotten past the first round in over ten years....but good talk.

That team didn't offer him a max contract, and, to my knowledge, neither did anyone else. Carmelo was offered the same extension with Denver that he'll be getting with New Jersey. Invalid point is invalid.

Good talks indeed.

I said "fresh off a 12 win season", which is true. Added 6th men in free agency, certainly you did. You'd also lose Devin Harris and Derrick Favors in the deal, leaving you with Melo, Brook... uh... Jordan Farmar? Travis Outlaw? Yes, greatly improved. Not what Denver has, though. Not by a long shot. Which was my point... He's leaving Denver for a downgrade.

That team didn't offer him a max contract, and, to my knowledge, neither did anyone else. Carmelo was offered the same extension with Denver that he'll be getting with New Jersey. Invalid point is invalid.

Good talks indeed.

Downgrade? You think the Nets will trade for Melo and just pray those peices around him work and they turn into a playoff team? Of course.

It's not about contracts, I'm stating wins since that's what you brought up. Nets and Knicks both suck. I think every team not named Lakers, Heat, Magic and maybe a few others 'suck' in comparison to these elite teams.

This trade most likely won't even go through anyways.

Downgrade? You think the Nets will trade for Melo and just pray those peices around him work and they turn into a playoff team? Of course.

The Nets will trade for Melo because he's an upgrade for them. What I was saying is that Melo is downgrading teams from the Nuggets to the Nets, unless you want to argue the surrounding cast of the Nets (sans Harris and Favors, since they would be involved) is better than that of the Nuggets. Just don't see it.

It's not about contracts, I'm stating wins since that's what you brought up. Nets and Knicks both suck. I think every team not named Lakers, Heat, Magic and maybe a few others 'suck' in comparison to these elite teams.

Right, you stated some wins comment about the Knicks, which was irrelevant to the conversation at hand. The Knicks have nothing to do with Melo, the Nets, the Nuggets, or whether or not Melo is downgrading teams in the process.

He is going from a 53 win team to a "maybe" team that won 12 games last year. I see them winning 45 tops with Melo, which was why I said what I said. I am confused as to why he'd sign the extension with the Nets when he wouldn't sign it with the superior cast on the Nuggets.

In any event, you brought up Amar'e, which was a completely irrelevant comparison. FA with a max bid from one team is a different scenario than the same max bid from two teams, one clearly superior, and choosing the other as a destination via trade.

This trade most likely won't even go through anyways.

IDK man, it's exciting for the East if he does. The Knicks/Nets games were always fun to watch last year because they were both so bad that neither team pulled away... Hopefully if this goes through they're exciting for a different reason :lol:

The Nets will trade for Melo because he's an upgrade for them. What I was saying is that Melo is downgrading teams from the Nuggets to the Nets, unless you want to argue the surrounding cast of the Nets (sans Harris and Favors, since they would be involved) is better than that of the Nuggets. Just don't see it.

Right, you stated some wins comment about the Knicks, which was irrelevant to the conversation at hand. The Knicks have nothing to do with Melo, the Nets, the Nuggets, or whether or not Melo is downgrading teams in the process.

He is going from a 53 win team to a "maybe" team that won 12 games last year. I see them winning 45 tops with Melo, which was why I said what I said. I am confused as to why he'd sign the extension with the Nets when he wouldn't sign it with the superior cast on the Nuggets.

In any event, you brought up Amar'e, which was a completely irrelevant comparison. FA with a max bid from one team is a different scenario than the same max bid from two teams, one clearly superior, and choosing the other as a destination via trade.

IDK man, it's exciting for the East if he does. The Knicks/Nets games were always fun to watch last year because they were both so bad that neither team pulled away... Hopefully if this goes through they're exciting for a different reason :lol:

This year for Carmelo is a downgrade if he lands with the Nets (and that's just assuming they miss the playoffs), but then you got to add the fact that they are going to Brooklyn, they have an owner who is willing to spend money and a coach with Finals experince.

Slide back over to Denver and you have a general manager with zero experince, only three players locked up past next year and a coach with one Finals apperance since '84.

I know what everyone is stating about dumb move since losing Harris but I'm sure people would have said the same thing if Celtics only grabbed Ray Allen. Not every move to be a contender can be made in one season.

And the reason I brought up Amare was 1) it was a joke that clearly bugged you 2) it pretty much sums up your whole point of the Nets record.

Nets wouldn't bring in Carmelo and be happy just like the Knicks aren't happy just bringing in Amare. Do you not get that?

And I think this year it's going to be some of the best Nets/Knicks basketball we have seen in a while but sadly a few teams are godlike.