Source: Melo Approves Trade To Nets

Lkr

• Owner

You mean no one on the Knicks is 36 years old, turning 37 years old next year? Why would Melo put all his eggs in on basket knowing Steve Nash doesn't have much of a future knowing about the Miami LA and Chicago potential super teams. NY may not have someone as good as Steve Nash but we have young players who will give Melo a chance to win and the future, and a hope that down the line we can acquire CP3.

You completely missed the point.

Amare left a 50-win team to go to the Knicks, who have nothing. Melo is leaving a 50-win team to go to the Nets (maybe), who will have nothing after the trade is completed. I don't really consider Gallinari and Lopez two players that are championship second scoring options.

My post wasn't directed at Melo going to the Knicks, at all. The discussion is about him leaving for the Nets. If he does go to Jersey, he does the same exact thing Amare did...they both left an aging all-star point guard and a 50+ win team to go play for a team with less of a chance to make noise in the playoffs, especially since the East is packed with 3-4 superpowers now.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think King is under a lot of pressure from Proky to get this deal done. If that weren't the case, I think he would have trashed the deal by now. The Nuggets and Bobcats might have been aware of this, not sealing the deal and pushing for more to be included and listening to other offers.

Amare left a 50-win team to go to the Knicks, who have nothing. Melo is leaving a 50-win team to go to the Nets (maybe), who will have nothing after the trade is completed. I don't really consider Gallinari and Lopez two players that are championship second scoring options.

My post wasn't directed at Melo going to the Knicks, at all. The discussion is about him leaving for the Nets. If he does go to Jersey, he does the same exact thing Amare did...they both left an aging all-star point guard and a 50+ win team to go play for a team with less of a chance to make noise in the playoffs, especially since the East is packed with 3-4 superpowers now.

But Melo isn't going to the Nets. He doesn't want to. The Nuggets are trying to convince him to go to New Jersey because the Nets have better trading chips, but Melo insists on going directly to New York.

Melo is leaving Billups to play with Amar'e and a much younger team with a brighter future, like I stated earlier.

Edited by Poe

• Owner

But Melo isn't going to the Nets. He doesn't want to. The Nuggets are trying to convince him to go to New Jersey because the Nets have better trading chips, but Melo insists on going directly to New York.

Melo is leaving Billups to play with Amar'e and a much younger team with a brighter future, like I stated earlier.

I know where he's probably going to go. We all knew that the day the rumor came out about the Knicks having him, Amare and CP3 by 2012.

Melo just recently changed his mind about the Nets, anyway...because he did have a wishlist, and the Knicks weren't the only team on it.

Steve stated that the Melo and Amare situations are similar, a couple of Knicks fans think Melo going to the Nets is not similar to Amare to the Knicks. It has nothing to do with Melo to the Knicks.

Steve stated that the Melo and Amare situations are similar, a couple of Knicks fans think Melo going to the Nets is not similar to Amare to the Knicks. It has nothing to do with Melo to the Knicks.

Well in that case, if Melo is to go to the Nets, the situation isn't as similar outside of basketball since Amar'e left for money because the Suns wouldn't pay him, and Melo is leaving because of his wife (from what I know) even though the Nuggets are willing to extend and give him a max deal.

From a team standpoint, the situation would be similar since they would both be leaving playoff "win now" teams and putting behind their second star (Billups/Nash), for younger teams with brighter futures including a rising star (Gallo/Lopez).

Edited by Poe

• Owner

Guaranteed money. It was still a max contract, and had Amare waited a bit longer, it would've been six years, instead of five...which would've given him even more cash in Phoenix.

Do you guys actually think that the Suns would consider waiving Amare after three years? Just curious...because, obviously, that's what Amare was worried about (and I don't know why).

As stated earlier, the contract had a clause in it, stating that the final two years would be guaranteed if he met or exceeded the minutes played over the course of the first three seasons.

Did Amare not have that confidence in himself?

• Owner

If injuries continued to be an issue, perhaps.

2006-07: 82 games

2007-08: 79 games

2008-09: 53 games

2009-10: 82 games

Over those last four seasons, he hasn't exactly given reason for the Suns to be concerned with his injuries. He's not Bynum or Oden.

In the 2008-09 season, the eye issue forced him out for a while, but there's little chance that will ever return as long as he's wearing goggles (and I know this for a fact).

I have to think that Amare leaving Phoenix wasn't just about the guaranteed money.

Perhaps there were other things involved that made the Suns organization feel it wasn't a good idea to make his contract fully guaranteed. That's something we can only speculate. The fact of the matter is, financially the Knicks offer was better than the Suns.

Edited by Poe

^Deal is not dead, both Nuggets and Nets are re-structuring the trade.

Money is the reason Nuggets are not doing the 4 team trade. AK and Favors' contracts are $21.9 mil combined, compared to Melo's $17.1 mil contract. For the Nugs, that's taking back $4.8 million more. Taking luxury tax into account, that means we're paying $9.6 mil MORE by doing that deal when we get worse as a team. So the Nuggets are still talking with the Nets to take possibly other players like Birdman or J.R. or maybe Nene (I don't think Kenyon should be included his contract will expire after this season).

The Nuggets are trying to work out these money matters with Nets.

One thing is clear, Nets really do want Melo and they will do whatever it takes to get a player of his caliber to be their face of franchise (except including Lopez in a trade). Nets will get whatever Nuggets want, outside of trading Lopez.

King wants to make a big first splash with the Nets and what better deal than landing a superstar? He wants it, Phokorov wants it, it's what matters (Avery may rather keep Favors but it doesn't matter lol). Nets will do whatever it takes to get this done, they're determined... and Nugs want to deal with Nets because they want Favors and partly because New Jersey is much closer to where Melo wants to go (NY) than say, Philly or Charlotte.

^Deal is not dead, both Nuggets and Nets are re-structuring the trade.

Money is the reason Nuggets are not doing the 4 team trade. AK and Favors' contracts are $21.9 mil combined, compared to Melo's $17.1 mil contract. For the Nugs, that's taking back $4.8 million more. Taking luxury tax into account, that means we're paying $9.6 mil MORE by doing that deal when we get worse as a team. So the Nuggets are still talking with the Nets to take possibly other players like Birdman or J.R. or maybe Nene (I don't think Kenyon should be included his contract will expire after this season).

The Nuggets are trying to work out these money matters with Nets.

One thing is clear, Nets really do want Melo and they will do whatever it takes to get a player of his caliber to be their face of franchise (except including Lopez in a trade). Nets will get whatever Nuggets want, outside of trading Lopez.

King wants to make a big first splash with the Nets and what better deal than landing a superstar? He wants it, Phokorov wants it, it's what matters (Avery may rather keep Favors but it doesn't matter lol). Nets will do whatever it takes to get this done, they're determined... and Nugs want to deal with Nets because they want Favors and partly because New Jersey is much closer to where Melo wants to go (NY) than say, Philly or Charlotte.

From what I've read, it's dead for now. Talks might pick up later, but I'm not expecting a deal in the next couple of weeks.

Is it really money? Because it seems like the deal went pretty far before the Nuggets weren't sealing the deal. Of course, reports conflict, but on Saturday, it was said that Denver was listening to other team's offers to get the Nets to include more.

“Denver keeps moving the goal posts,” said one person connected to the talks. “They say, ‘We want this,’ and New Jersey says, ‘We got it.’ And then Denver says, ‘Wait a minute, we want this and this.’”

The almost done deal is a dead deal -- at least for the moment.

Exasperated by the machinations of an inexperienced Denver front office that wanted this, tried that and attempted to expand the parameters of a trade for superstar Carmelo Anthony, the Nets finally called off the complicated four-team swap meet yesterday, several hours after imposing a deadline on the deal.

The teams always can talk again about a deal until the February deadline. "Deal is dead," a Nets official said, adding that the team is "concentrating on our guys.

Source

^_^ and the Melo sweepstakes get tighter. Considering he only wants to go to the east coast and only 1 east coast team in interested ;)

Guru, u mad?

• Owner

Just keep Favors, Melo sucks, can't lead a championship team just like Bosh.

Haha...well, I'm not going to say Melo sucks, but I'm starting to think the Nets should just stick with Favors and Harris, see what comes out of it.