Source: Melo Approves Trade To Nets

Lkr

http://www.backstagegfx.com/forum/uploads/U141-1285390961.png

How many times has Melo been to WCF? How bout Amar'e? Hah, enjoy your yearly 1st round exit. Hey at least you'll be mediocre in Brooklyn instead of [expletive]ty in New Jersey. Then again what isn't [expletive]ty in New Jersey? :lol:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually now that I think about it... Nets can be formidable...

C - Brook Lopez

PF - Troy Murphy

SF - Carmelo Anthony

SG - Terrence Williams

PG - Jordan Farmar

---

6th - Anthony Morrow

7th - Travis Outlaw

8th - DJ Augustin

I'm sure I left some guys out.

Melo and Lopez will take care of the offense... Murphy and Morrow will help stretch the defense with their outside shootings. Morrow can have a hot streak and Outlaw can do a bit of everything off the bench.

Rebounding wise, Avery should count on Murphy to pull double digit and push Lopez to do the same. If Melo and T-Will can contribute 5 rpg each, it's huge.

Defensively, Avery is the anchor... I expect Lopez and Melo to improve under him. For Lopez, getting better as a shot blocker and presence in the middle and for Melo it's getting more consistent... when Melo wants to play D, he can play exceptional (not just very good) D.

Farmar just needs to get the ball up court lol

They'll be 1-2 pieces away from being consistent threat and seriously contending for title.

Losing Harris and Favors for a franchise player is worth it... unless they have absolute belief that Favors can be a special player. I don't think that's the case...

This year for Carmelo is a downgrade if he lands with the Nets (and that's just assuming they miss the playoffs), but then you got to add the fact that they are going to Brooklyn, they have an owner who is willing to spend money and a coach with Finals experince.

They don't get to Brooklyn until 2012, so Melo would only play one year there under this proposed contract. Not sure that's a selling point. I know everyone says "well, Jersey is close to New York anyway, he could take the train from Newark, etc". Not buying it.

Slide back over to Denver and you have a general manager with zero experince, only three players locked up past next year and a coach with one Finals apperance since '84.

And a better team.

I know what everyone is stating about dumb move since losing Harris but I'm sure people would have said the same thing if Celtics only grabbed Ray Allen. Not every move to be a contender can be made in one season.

Except in the case you just listed, it was... :lol:

Either way, you give up Harris to get Melo. It's a no-brainer.

And the reason I brought up Amare was 1) it was a joke that clearly bugged you 2) it pretty much sums up your whole point of the Nets record.

Nets wouldn't bring in Carmelo and be happy just like the Knicks aren't happy just bringing in Amare. Do you not get that?

The reason you brought up Amar'e is because you were hurt I said the Nets were a 45 win team max with Melo... Let's be real.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... In no manner does this deal not make sense for the Nets. It is a tremendous trade for the Nets. What I don't understand is the decision on Melo's part. He's leaving a superior team that finished 4th in the West for one that will (hopefully for them) tightrope into an 8th seed.

How many times has Melo been to WCF? How bout Amar'e? Hah, enjoy your yearly 1st round exit. Hey at least you'll be mediocre in Brooklyn instead of [expletive]ty in New Jersey. Then again what isn't [expletive]ty in New Jersey? :lol:

So the answer to my question would be yes, you are mad.

Knicks have been catching L's all off-season.... they should have just offered Gallo+Chandler+the picks from the start.

The Bulls, once again, managed to miss out on another superstar who wanted to play there because they were stingy.

Unreal deal for Denver if it happens.

Edited by travesy3

Melo isn't staying in Denver and wants to go to New York, for reasons outside of basketball from what I've heard. The question isn't whether the Nets or the Nuggets are the better team, but it's between the Nets and the Knicks.

But to get it out of the way, who's the better team, the Nets or the Nuggets? The Nuggets are obviously a better win now team coming off a better record, but since their core is surrounded by players that are heading past their prime, the Nets have a better looking future, and so do the Knicks.

The Nuggets have an average age of about 28 years old, including a 33 year old Billups, a 32 year old Martin, a 30 year old Harrington, a 32 year old Andersen, and a 28 year old Nene.

The Nets have an average age of 25, including Lopez, Williams, Outlaw, Farmar, and Morrow being under the age of 26.

The average age on the Knicks is 24.6, with not a single player on the team being over the age of 27 other than Roger Mason.

Carmelo Anthony is 26.

The biggest question though is, who has the better future? The Nets or the Knicks? If Melo gets traded to the Nets (which DOES require his approval in order for it to go down), his best three players in his supporting cast are Brook Lopez, Troy Murphy, and Travis Outlaw, with Troy likely to not be in the team's future plans. On the Knicks, his best three players are Amar'e Stoudemire, Danilo Gallinari, and Raymond Felton (all of which would not be included in a deal for Melo if I'm correct).

Both teams may have cap room with Murphy coming off the books for the Nets and Curry for the Knicks, so both will be in a roughly equal position to sign talent in the future.

As far as talent already on the team goes, New York has a better core to surround Melo with a post presence, a shooter, and a facilitator, while the Nets have a post presence, but Murphy is not quite the quality of a shooter as Gallo, and the rest of the team is filled with athletes and not proven basketball players.

And lastly, the coaching? Both D'Antoni and Johnson have had a winning past, yet neither have a ring. D'Antoni plays run n gun and Avery plays defense. Melo doesn't like to play defense according to Snake, so I think he's more inclined to want to win in an offensive system rather than be forced into a more disciplined system.

Plus, going to the Knicks brings him directly to his desired destination, while going to the Nets he has a two year wait. I'd say in Melo's case, New York is the much more attractive option.

They don't get to Brooklyn until 2012, so Melo would only play one year there under this proposed contract. Not sure that's a selling point. I know everyone says "well, Jersey is close to New York anyway, he could take the train from Newark, etc". Not buying it.

And a better team.

Except in the case you just listed, it was... :lol:

Either way, you give up Harris to get Melo. It's a no-brainer.

The reason you brought up Amar'e is because you were hurt I said the Nets were a 45 win team max with Melo... Let's be real.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... In no manner does this deal not make sense for the Nets. It is a tremendous trade for the Nets. What I don't understand is the decision on Melo's part. He's leaving a superior team that finished 4th in the West for one that will (hopefully for them) tightrope into an 8th seed.

Nets aren't trading away all that for Carmelo not to sign...I thought that was pretty obvious haha.

I wasn't hurt I was making a joke because a Knick fan is stating about an All-Star leaving a winning situation for a losing situation and it's the same as Carmelo and Amare....they both are choosing where to play.

I know you don't understand why Melo is doing and I clearly don't have the correct answer but I stated a lot of the points above. And like I've said about three times now in this thread that you keep hoping over is that you keep saying their an 8th seed WITHOUT any other roster moves.

Clearer?

I don't think Chicks Love Hakeem Nicks is very [expletive]ty. Neither are most of the Nets fans living there IMO.

A poster on Netsdaily brought up an interesting look.

Kevin Garnett for Kenyon Martin, Keith Van Horn, Kerry Kittles, and Aaron Williams (Nets offered)/Richard Jefferson (Wolves wanted). Rod Thorn called the negotiations "an exercise in futility". However, in retrospect, 2 of the 4 players the Nets offered are no longer in the NBA, RJ never lived up to his potential after his rookie year, and Martin has battled injuries. Kevin Garnett, meanwhile, was destined for roughly 4 more seasons of greatness. Who knows how good he could have been playing with Kidd in his prime? The moral of the story is: sometimes you have to swing for the fences and never look back, rather than wonder "what if?"

- rory

We didn't make that move yet we surrounded Kidd with a washed up Carter and Yi Jialian and now are in the situation we are today because we flopped at chancing for instant winning because we hoped our current core could improve alongside of Kidd rather than going for the sure thing in Kevin Garnett.

I still really only see this as hype right now as there is not much to talk about in the basketball world before training camp so it's getting some interenet clicks. Still hope we can grab him though.

Nets aren't trading away all that for Carmelo not to sign...I thought that was pretty obvious haha.

I wasn't hurt I was making a joke because a Knick fan is stating about an All-Star leaving a winning situation for a losing situation and it's the same as Carmelo and Amare....they both are choosing where to play.

I know you don't understand why Melo is doing and I clearly don't have the correct answer but I stated a lot of the points above. And like I've said about three times now in this thread that you keep hoping over is that you keep saying their an 8th seed WITHOUT any other roster moves.

Clearer?

lol not clearer, I don't think we're on the same page haha. I know Carmelo would sign, I don't know where I gave you the impression I didn't think he would.

The difference with Amar'e is that he left for more money. Carmelo is leaving for the same amount of money and a lesser supporting cast.

What I'm saying is that Melo + what is left on the Nets after the trade (sans Harris, Favors) is an 8th seed IMO. Including the moves they made this previous offseason. Not sure what they'd have going for them next year, but I was just talking about 2010/11.

I just really think we're confusing each other, not on the same page. Agree to disagree.

lol not clearer, I don't think we're on the same page haha. I know Carmelo would sign, I don't know where I gave you the impression I didn't think he would.

The difference with Amar'e is that he left for more money. Carmelo is leaving for the same amount of money and a lesser supporting cast.

What I'm saying is that Melo + what is left on the Nets after the trade (sans Harris, Favors) is an 8th seed IMO. Including the moves they made this previous offseason. Not sure what they'd have going for them next year, but I was just talking about 2010/11.

I just really think we're confusing each other, not on the same page. Agree to disagree.

Why would Melo only play until the 2013 season for the Nets?

Amare still left a winner for a loser which is why I compared the two.

And I get that you think the Nets with Melo is an 8th seed and I don't disagree but you clearly aren't seeing the bigger picture of what I posted above. Nuggets weren't winning a championship this year either so why not get a head start with a team that clearly has a plan for you.

Amare still left a winner for a loser which is why I compared the two.

Yeah but under different circumstances. I would understand if Melo was getting more money from the Nets, but it's the same 3 year extension he was offered by the Nugz.

The rest is opinion, and ours aren't matching up. No worries, it'll all play out... I think Melo ends up in NJ, whether I understand the decision or not.

Correction- Melo isn't leaving just for a "lesser" supporting cast. He's leaving because he wants to be on the east-coast, wants the added exposure of being in the NY market (which the Nets are), and most likely wants to be on a team with a very solid young core (with or without Harris/Favors) and money-spending owner who can open up Melo's marketability.

Edited by Nitro

The Nets are reportedly throwing in another draft pick in there (in efforts to get Augustin?). If Charlotte still refuses to give D.J., Arron Afflalo may be sent over in a newly formed deal.

Another report says that Denver is not finalizing the deal, listening to offers from Indiana and Cleveland.

Correction- Melo isn't leaving just for a "lesser" supporting cast. He's leaving because he wants to be on the east-coast, wants the added exposure of being in the NY market (which the Nets are), and most likely wants to be on a team with a very solid young core (with or without Harris/Favors) and money-spending owner who can open up Melo's marketability.

Which happens to be a worse team... Right? That is my only point. The Nuggets are a better team right now.

We've had the discussion before with Lebron, we won't agree. All I was saying is that he has a better chance to win now with the Nuggets and then hit FA in the offseason and [expletive], sign with the Nets then.

Edited by Chicks Love Hakeem Nicks

Which happens to be a worse team... Right? That is my only point. The Nuggets are a better team right now.

We've had the discussion before with Lebron, we won't agree. All I was saying is that he has a better chance to win now with the Nuggets and then hit FA in the offseason and [expletive], sign with the Nets then.

I don't think anyone, including Melo himself, would argue that the Nuggets are a better win-now team. But what you're not realizing is that it's one of the least important pieces of this process. He wants to go to the east, he'd prefer to be in the NY market, and he'd most likely want to be on a team with a few good young pieces and cap flexibility for future acquisitions. Having Prokhorov as an owner doesn't hurt, either.

And the issue with just playing his current contract out is the impending new CBA, which could lose him a LOT of money if he doesn't sign the extension now.

Yeah, it could... It could also land him where he doesn't absolutely want to be.

If he signs the extension then that is precisely where he wants to be. If he doesn't sign that extension, the trade will never happen to begin with. All we know is where he absolutely doesn't want to be, and that's Denver.

• Owner

He's leaving a superior team that finished 4th in the West for one that will (hopefully for them) tightrope into an 8th seed.

What Steve was saying was that the Suns and the Knicks are in the same boat, and the Suns actually have Steve Nash. Nobody on the Knicks is even close to that kind of player.

Amare to New York, leaving Phoenix (a 50-win team) with Steve Nash

Melo to New Jersey, leaving Denver (a 50-win team) with Chauncey Billups

And you can say it's about the money, but it's not. If Melo waits, he'll likely lose 30-35% of what he COULD make, if he stays with Denver (or signs the extension before the free agency period begins).

Also, Amare left the Suns because they weren't going to guarantee all six years that they could offer him. Phoenix guaranteed three or four of those years, and Amare went to the Knicks for a five-year contract, all guaranteed. Not necessarily more money, because Phoenix was his original team and could offer the most due to Bird Rights...but the five years of guaranteed money SUPPOSEDLY did the trick. Not like the Suns would've bought him out after the third year, though...so I think there's more to it than just money. The contract from Phoenix would've included a clause that guarantees the remaining years based solely on the number of minutes Amare logs during the first three years. For some reason, Amare dodged that.

A big part of why Melo is leaving is because of Lala, wanting to be out in/near Los Angeles, or out east. Denver is also sitting on some old talent, as mentioned, with Billups, K-Mart, and Andersen all aging quicker than ever, Karl struggling to stay in the game (coaching, of course) and a selfish JR Smith as his running mate.

This deal is slowly starting to fall apart.

A person close to negotiations told The Star-Ledger that talks surrounding the Nets' potential deal for Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony have "definitely" taken a step back from where they were earlier in the week. The person, who requested anonymity because talks are ongoing, places the likelihood of the deal getting done at 40 percent.

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2010/09/deal_for_carmelo_anthony_defin.html

What Steve was saying was that the Suns and the Knicks are in the same boat, and the Suns actually have Steve Nash. Nobody on the Knicks is even close to that kind of player.

You mean no one on the Knicks is 36 years old, turning 37 years old next year? Why would Melo put all his eggs in on basket knowing Steve Nash doesn't have much of a future knowing about the Miami LA and Chicago potential super teams. NY may not have someone as good as Steve Nash but we have young players who will give Melo a chance to win and the future, and a hope that down the line we can acquire CP3.