MLB Offseason Thread 2010-11

Phightins

hey phig, why don't the Phils sign Beltre? they can't honestly believe Polanco is the answer.

congrats on the Lee signing btw.

Polanco is a perfect fit in this lineup. Prototypical 2-hole hitter, basically the only guy in the lineup not prone to strikeouts. They chose him over Beltre last winter when they had their choice of the two (of course, they also had Jayson Werth under contract then....). Not saying that Polanco is a better player, just that he's a great fit. Plus, Polly is signed for two more years. So no, Beltre is not an option (unless he wants to learn how to play the outfield!).

Edited by Phightins

Polanco is a perfect fit in this lineup. Prototypical 2-hole hitter, basically the only guy in the lineup not prone to strikeouts. They chose him over Beltre last winter when they had their choice of the two (of course, they also had Jayson Werth under contract then....). Not saying that Polanco is a better player, just that he's a great fit. Plus, Polly is signed for two more years. So no, Beltre is not an option (unless he wants to learn how to play the outfield!).

Agree 100%

Paulie is a gamer.

meh, I just feel like they could use a little more pop in that lineup. maybe Brown can help them out.

I agree, but A) they don't have the money for Beltre and B) they have a fine third baseman under contract for two more seasons. And yeah, the outfield situation is interesting. Brown needs to show something in spring training (ability to hit lefties, improvement in the field), otherwise I honestly would rather see him in AAA. I do not want him in a part time role.

They can trade Hamels to the Yankees for Montero and teach Montero the outfield, if they'd like.

Why do the Phillies need another first baseman? Montero is too slow and too weak armed to play the outfield or catcher. Also, he hasn't proved he can hit at the MAJOR LEAGUE level.

I was joking, but I'd like to just point out that you have absolutely 0 idea as to what you're talking about. Don't dictate Yankees prospects to me, please.

Thanks bro!

Yes, because Jesus Montero is so excellent at hitting at the major league level and is an excellent fielder.

Sorry for throwing some dirt on the next Johnny Bench!

Yes, because Jesus Montero is so excellent at hitting at the major league level and is an excellent fielder.

Sorry for throwing some dirt on the next Johnny Bench!

Yes because every 21 year old who has never played a game at the major league level is supposed to have proven he can field and hit at the major league level.

Edited by STATCity

Because he loved it here and realized that last year, it was a business decision. The Phillies realized that Roy Halladay wanted to sign an extension here, and Cliff Lee wanted to test free agency. They had no idea at the time that he'd leave $50 million on the table to extend here.

I don't think that's true lol; Lee wanted to stay in Philly. in fact, I remember him saying he wanted to finish his career there the day after he was traded to Seattle. for some unknown reason, Philly traded him. I think they just wanted to save some money after getting Doc, but never wanted to admit that to the public. I think this time around, he just swallowed his pride and said this is where I want to be.

I don't think that's true lol; Lee wanted to stay in Philly. in fact, I remember him saying he wanted to finish his career there the day after he was traded to Seattle. for some unknown reason, Philly traded him. I think they just wanted to save some money after getting Doc, but never wanted to admit that to the public. I think this time around, he just swallowed his pride and said this is where I want to be.

Well obviously, that is what we know now. But at the time, Darek Braunecker said he was taking Cliff Lee to free agency. Meanwhile, Roy Halladay said that he wanted to sign an extension with the Phillies. No competition with the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. Just one on one negotiations between Doc and the Phillies. He took a discount to stay here, and at the time it did not appear like Lee would. I think if Braunecker and Lee would have made it clear last year that they'd take a discount to stay, Amaro would have worked out an extension with him and never would have traded for Halladay in the first place. Rube just wanted to make sure that he had an ace of some sort under contract for at least 2 or 3 more years. He had that assurance with Halladay, not with Lee.

Also, this time last year, having both long term was not an option. Something changed this year. The Phillies sold out every single home game...and all you have to do is take a quick walk around the sports complex on a game night to see what kind of business they are running. They are now basically printing money. This is new to them. Not to mention, John Middleton (one of the primary owners) sold his cigar company for billions of dollars. So, expanding the budget for the right player is something that is now possible, but wasn't as recently as one year ago. This past year, the Phillies also made an amendment to their philosophy of never giving a pitcher more than a 3 year contract.

My issue with the Lee trade never was the intention...I understood what the Phillies were trying to do. My issue was the return. Three very average prospects (meanwhile Seattle turned Lee into Justin Smoak and two other very good prospects this past July). That is what stung, and still does.

Edited by Phightins

He is really good at what he does, but I will never understand how giving a LOOGY that much money is justified.

I wasn't too crazy on the money either.

2008: 86 games, 53 innings pitched.

2009: 88 games, 59 innings pitched.

2010: 92 games, 63 innings pitched.

In other news, the Yankees would have reportedly offered 2 years, $10M to Kerry Wood, but I guess he had his eyes set on Chicago.

Oh, that's not all. It is nearly laughable how much more is asked of the Yankees than other teams in trades.

@Joelsherman1

Heard for Greinke #Royals asked #Yankees not only for Montero/Nunez, but either of top pitch prospects, Banuelos or Betances, also