MLB Offseason Thread 2010-11

Phightins

I could easily taken your $12M to the bank, but I'm hurt, haven't produced over my contract as I should have, and wouldn't feel right taking your money... Use it to help the team... You've seen someone do that before?

Imagine if Curry had this [expletive]ing mindset?

Jerome James?

Albert Belle?

He wouldn't have been robbing the "rich" owners, he would have been robbing the hardworking folks who come to the ballpark and put money in the owners' pockets (in his mind, anyway). In theory it is a cool gesture. Gil Meche's estate is already taken care of for generations, I would think.

Well I'm not saying it wasn't a nice gesture. Certainly a class act, but at the end of the day his estate is well taken care of and neither of them really need that 12 million. I think it would have been cooler if he just took the 12 million and donated it all to some sort of charity that could absolutely use the money.

Well I'm not saying it wasn't a nice gesture. Certainly a class act, but at the end of the day his estate is well taken care of and neither of them really need that 12 million.

That is what I was saying. I don't see the big deal either way and I wouldn't have seen the big deal if he came back just to collect a paycheck. I really don't care and don't see why anybody else would, but it's cool/refreshing to see an athlete who isn't out for every last dollar.

So, uh, the Angels traded for Vernon Wells. No word yet on if they are taking the entire contract, but if so, epic fail.

Mike Napoli and potentially Juan Rivera going to Toronto.

So, uh, the Angels traded for Vernon Wells. No word yet on if they are taking the entire contract, but if so, epic fail.

Mike Napoli and potentially Juan Rivera going to Toronto.

Considering the fact Toronto is getting some nice talent back I figure they both eat around half the contract. Vernon Wells always an amazing defender, they going to have a nice defensive OF.

Considering the fact Toronto is getting some nice talent back I figure they both eat around half the contract. Vernon Wells always an amazing defender, they going to have a nice defensive OF.

There is indeed some cash going from the Jays to the Angels. Not sure how much though.

Brian Fuentes to Oakland. Two years, option for a third. Interested to see the dollars. Doesn't really seem like a Billy Beane signing, so I am kind of surprised.

good deal for Oakland, but they're still not making the playoffs.

Andruw Jones and the Yanks reportedly closing in on a one-year deal.

Jones should be a great fourth outfielder and part time DH for the pinstripes.

He wouldn't have been robbing the "rich" owners, he would have been robbing the hardworking folks who come to the ballpark and put money in the owners' pockets (in his mind, anyway). In theory it is a cool gesture. Gil Meche's estate is already taken care of for generations, I would think.

yeah, it bothers me when a team makes a big signing and the fans say, 'it's not my money.' you pay to go see the games and the owners use that revenue to buy players, so technically, it is your money.

So, uh, the Angels traded for Vernon Wells.

I don't understand this deal at all for the Angels. they're giving up two good players for an overpaid, overrated Wells. not only that, but they already had the youngster Bourjos in CF. why they'd want to stunt his progression for Wells - wow, I just don't understand Anaheim.

Also, the Rays signed Johnny Damon and Manny Ramirez. 2/3 of the 2004 World Series championship outfield!

great signings for Tampa here. they're doing a great job of rebuilding the roster, but still keeping it competitive. if they stay in contention, great. if not, they could trade these guys to contenders at the deadline. either way, they're getting players with championship experience, and at a great price. they should help the offense immensely.

Not sure if I'd go so far as to call the Damon/Manny deals "great" yet. I think "moderate risk/moderately higher reward" is more like it.

moderate risk comes with any signing. these two could mean the difference between making the postseason for the Rays. they're skilled veterans with rings. they could teach the youngsters a great deal about the game while helping to keep the team in contention. I don't get how that only constitutes a moderately high reward; I'm not even entirely sure of what that means lol.

Edited by HOV

moderate risk comes with any signing. these two could mean the difference between making the postseason for the Rays. they're skilled veterans with rings. they could teach the youngsters a great deal about the game while helping to keep the team in contention. I don't get how that only continues a moderately high reward; I'm not even entirely sure of what that means lol.

Might want to hop in the time machine and come back from 2003.

I'm not saying they're going to put up career numbers, but they could still help the team. getting both for only $7M is a steal. they could both contribute and they're better options than what the Rays already had at those positions. if Tampa can't compete with New York and Boston, they could trade these guys and add even more to their farm system. the plan, though, is for them to help progress the skills of the youngsters and to keep them in contention. I think that's very plausible if everyone stays healthy.

I'm just thrilled at the prospect of seeing Manny cut off another Johnny Damon throw from center field.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Probably the funniest baseball clip I've ever seen in my life, the one time Manny actually hustles...:lol: Manny being Manny :)

• 2 weeks later...

Quite terrible? .485 career SLG% .831 career OPS? As long as he's healthy he's a more than capable catcher. Coming off a rough year but Soscia never gave him consistent time.

Napoli won't get consistent time with the Rangers, but I bet he has a career year this year.

Quite terrible? .485 career SLG% .831 career OPS? As long as he's healthy he's a more than capable catcher. Coming off a rough year but Soscia never gave him consistent time.

lol, he played in 140 games, racked up 453 at-bats, but didn't get consistent time? He sat 22 games. He didn't get consistent bench time, if anything.

Go figure, he enters his prime years, gets a career high in appearances and at-bats, and put up a career low OPS. Maybe he was too fat and out of shape? Who's to say. (Another question I have... Is he actually fat? Or does he just appear fat? That nasty looking Tommy Hunter double-chin beard he rocks looks fat... But his height/weight doesn't say he's fat... I'm confused now.)

As far as capable catcher... Sure, he's capable of catching the ball and throwing it back to the pitcher, and he's not an absolute butcher. But, that said... in the catching metric marking fielding errors, throwing errors, passed balls and runners caught stealing... He finished 113th of 120 catchers.

Like I said, maybe I'm missing his aura.

Sometimes he'd go whole series's without getting an AB trust me his PT was a bit inconsistent, I would know I owned him in fantasy and it drove me crazy. At the very worst he is a good DH. Plus denying his career averages because of 1 bad year is silly.

Edited by fish7718

Cardinals sign Jim Edmonds to a minor league deal.

Just for kicks...

Jim Edmonds’ last 162 games: .269/.362/.586, 29 homers, 39 doubles.

Jayson Werth’s last 162 games: .296/.388/.534, 29 HR, 46 2B.

Take those numbers for what they're worth...

Edited by N/A