MLB Offseason Thread 2010-11

Phightins

The thing is, I don't think it is possible to just draw a line and end it. There will always be questions about guys on the ballot, already in the Hall, etc. It is MLB's fault for not taking a stand years ago. That is why my ideal situation (well nothing about a scandal is ideal) would be for the writers to vote guys in based on numbers. Those are the only sure things we have. Just take a stand from this point forward and don't let it happen again (fortunately it looks like they are doing this). There is no way to "clean up" the hall. There are surely cheaters in there already that we will never know about since MLB did not properly test for most PEDs until a few years ago.

Also, I am not totally convinced that alleged steroid use pushed any of the fringe hall-of-famers over the top (except arguably McGwire and Sosa, although we will never know). Bonds, Clemens, Manny, A-Rod, and possibly others that I am forgetting are all hall-of-famers with or without steroids. Not condoning what they did, just observing.

Edited by Phightins

Soriano says he'll set up for the Yankees. Seems like a clear Rosenhaus ploy to get the Yanks involved, but if not, why isn't he signed? Give him what he wants, let him take over when MO is finished.

I don't mind giving the Rays a 1st, just sign the best Latin prospect available and call it a day :lol:

The Cubs are massively overpaying for Matt Garza. I am well aware that he has the potential to dominate in that division, but they are still giving up an [expletive] load. Report is that Tampa is getting Chris Archer, Hak-Ju Lee, Brandon Guyer, and Robinson Chirinos. Well done, Tampa. Small market teams take note.

Another day has passed on the Andy Pettitte vigil, with no sign or word from the pitcher who’s gone into hiding. Little by little, the Yankees are coming to terms with the reality that Pettitte may have indeed slipped through their fingers, into the great afterlife called retirement.

At 38, it’s certainly his right to call it a career – a hugely successful one at that. But team officials are troubled at the way Pettitte just disappeared, without a formal goodbye or even a courtesy phone call. The Yankees were hoping to hear something by Christmas, then by New Year’s following Pettitte’s vacation in Hawaii. But this week’s continuing silence has nudged higher-ups closer to the outcome they once considered impossible — that Pettitte is officially history.

So what gives? How does a generational star, beloved by the fans, respected by his teammates, on the verge of a huge raise and just 30 or so wins away from Hall of Fame consideration, just say no?

One theory circulating at Yankee Stadium is that Pettitte is spooked by none other than Roger Clemens. Knowing he’s going to be the government’s star witness this summer might be enough to force Pettitte into hiding – especially if Clemens decides he’s going to take his former buddy down with him.

Full Article

This certainly isn't an invalid point. It's on Pettitte's mind without a doubt, and looking ahead to a personal issue this prominent alongside his baseball season isn't very comforting.

Edited by Waldo

Pretty awful....the 9 year old girl killed in the AZ shooting yesterday was the granddaughter of former Phillies/Mets/Yankees manager Dallas Green, and the daughter of a current Dodgers scout.

So... According to Madden, the Yankees are willing to give Montero and Nunez for Soria. But AREN'T willing to give their 1st for Soriano?

Unless they have some crazy design to make Soria a top end starter, this makes 0 sense.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2011/01/08/2011-01-08_royals_refusal_to_listen_to_offers_for_joakim_soria_adds_to_winter_woes_for_bria.html

The last NL team to integrate vs. a team with an outdated, offensive logo. Perfect "Civil Rights" matchup!

Better than Reds vs Cardinals last year I guess.

It should be Dodgers vs Mets every year in NY...

Edited by STL10

Anyone else respect Gil Meche as much as I do following his retirement? Needed surgery, decided he couldn't help the team any longer, and retired... Walked away from $12M that he could have collected on the DL or from the bullpen after rehab.

Walked away from $12M because it was the right thing to do and his career had run its course.

“There’s no settlement,” Meche said on a conference call. “The team’s done enough for me.”

Eh they are all rich, rich people letting other rich people keep money? Doesn't enlighten me...

I could easily taken your $12M to the bank, but I'm hurt, haven't produced over my contract as I should have, and wouldn't feel right taking your money... Use it to help the team... You've seen someone do that before?

Imagine if Curry had this [expletive]ing mindset?

Jerome James?

Albert Belle?

Eh they are all rich, rich people letting other rich people keep money? Doesn't enlighten me...

He wouldn't have been robbing the "rich" owners, he would have been robbing the hardworking folks who come to the ballpark and put money in the owners' pockets (in his mind, anyway). In theory it is a cool gesture. Gil Meche's estate is already taken care of for generations, I would think.

Edited by Phightins