MLB Offseason Thread 2010-11

Phightins

The World Series is still ahead of us, but now that all but 2 teams are finished, the MLB hot stove is about to warm up. It will probably be easiest/most organized if we keep general rumors/transactions and discussion in one spot, like we did last year. So perhaps this can get a sticky?

Anyway, in the coming days we will begin to see managerial/coaching vacancies filled (John Farrell officially hired in Toronto today, to start it off). Teams will also begin to non-tender players. Once the World Series ends, free agents will have 5 days to negotiate with their former teams (down from 15 days, which is what it used to be), and then the real fun will begin.

There have been a lot of talks about the Yankees working out a trade for Zack Greinke rather than trying to sign Cliff Lee. One article proposed Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, and Austin Romine, which I do NOT think is a good idea. Banuelos has displayed incredible talent at a young age, and the Yankees have seen him advancing quickly. He may be our best pitching prospect. Betances has progressed significantly and has climbed through our group of top prospects over recent months. We do have an abundance of catchers in our system, but as Romine has developed behind the plate, his value has increased, sometimes given little attention in the shadows of Montero's bat. If we do go ahead with the plan of having Montero in the outfield or as a DH down the road, Romine could very well be our starting catcher in two years. I would love to bring over Greinke, but considering he didn't appear as sharp as he was in 2009, this package is too much in my eyes.

Was Toronto's signing of John Fennell a good signing in peoples eyes? Alex Anthropoleqeqdfadjh has done a reasonable job rebuilding some of the talent lost, but we need a string of strong years to ever put together a World Series contending team. Fennell could be one of the first pieces.

There have been a lot of talks about the Yankees working out a trade for Zack Greinke rather than trying to sign Cliff Lee. One article proposed Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, and Austin Romine, which I do NOT think is a good idea. Banuelos has displayed incredible talent at a young age, and the Yankees have seen him advancing quickly. He may be our best pitching prospect. Betances has progressed significantly and has climbed through our group of top prospects over recent months. We do have an abundance of catchers in our system, but as Romine has developed behind the plate, his value has increased, sometimes given little attention in the shadows of Montero's bat. If we do go ahead with the plan of having Montero in the outfield or as a DH down the road, Romine could very well be our starting catcher in two years. I would love to bring over Greinke, but considering he didn't appear as sharp as he was in 2009, this package is too much in my eyes.

If we do make a move for him, I think we'd make it at the deadline rather than the offseason because as you mentioned, he wasn't as good last year. The risk you take with that is that if his stock rises then the asking price will go up even more than it already is.

Was Toronto's signing of John Fennell a good signing in peoples eyes? Alex Anthropoleqeqdfadjh has done a reasonable job rebuilding some of the talent lost, but we need a string of strong years to ever put together a World Series contending team. Fennell could be one of the first pieces.

I agree about Anthowhatever....from what I have heard, the dude is a genius. It might take a few years to see it all come together, but he knows what he is doing. No clue about Farrell as a manager. Maybe ECN could give some insight about what kind of pitching coach he was in Boston. Always hard to evaluate coaches in the big markets. The Red Sox usually have great pitching, but it's tough to tell if it was because of Farrell, or because they could spend a lot of money.

Couple things today. Vlad Guerrero's mutual option declined by the Rangers, Adrian Beltre declines his player option (no surprise), and the Mets picked up Jose Reyes' option. Also, the Marlins are bringing back Edwin Rodriguez for next season.

I think the Rangers or Giants will.

Wouldn't count on the Giants. Buster Posey and Brandon Belt will have C and 1B locked down for years. The Giants may need a 1B for this season if Belt does not make the roster out of spring training, but Martinez will probably be looking for a big contract.

Guest The REAL STL10

Wouldn't count on the Giants. Buster Posey and Brandon Belt will have C and 1B locked down for years. The Giants may need a 1B for this season if Belt does not make the roster out of spring training, but Martinez will probably be looking for a big contract.

Great point their ^

Reconsidering...

Perhaps the Yankees make a play for V-Mart at DH if they fail to sign Lee?

Mets should get Werthless, how awesome would that be...then I could make my avatar a picture of fruitcake with a bushy beard

Fruitcake? These two disagree.

http://thefeed.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/wrightreyes_1.jpg

And LOLOLOLOL Werthless! Ha!!! I see what you did there! First time I've ever seen that one, methinks.

Edited by Phightins

Guest The REAL STL10

Fruitcake? These two disagree.

And LOLOLOLOL Werthless! Ha!!! I see what you did there! First time I've ever seen that one, methinks.

He's still mad about Jason Bay and Carlos Beltran's terrible year....:D

I have jumped on the Magglio Ordonez bandwagon. I would really dig seeing him as a Phillie next year. Obviously a lot of factors though. Scott Boras is his agent, so that always has the potential to get ugly. He would not be guaranteed an every day gig here, since he is a 37 year old outfielder with declining defensive skills. If an AL team is willing to give him an every day DH role, then I am guessing he would probably prefer that. If he is willing to give LF a shot, then he could very reasonably find his way into the lineup 2 out of every 3 games here, if not more. I am very big on defense, but the loss of Jayson Werth in the lineup has the chance to cripple them. So I am willing to put up with Ordonez in the field to get his bat in the lineup.

The two biggest plusses....he destroys LHP, and although he is a type-A free agent, the Tigers are not offering him arbitration, so no first round pick will need to be given up.

Edited by Phightins