Top 3-5-10 rappers of all time?

kingfish

Lol...

Most of those guys are overrated because they're dead. Big L was really good, but he's overrated because he died so soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZq3RBEBvps

/End thread.

Out of all the videos you could have posted, you posted THAT one? The one where Jay-Z got RIPPED in his own song? Royce Da 5'9 spit better verses in the original Renegade with Em. In Renegade Jay got ripped just like in this freestyle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYfKMIdoJL0

I posted a few Canibus videos and that Big L one, and you posted Em blowing Jay away in his own song, but here is at least one song from each of the rappers I posted before that blow Jay's verses in Renegade out of the water...

Nas/AZ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCnqDvvZrcM

Immortal Technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M72zVuBNpEA

Big Pun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLdAIyC6hYc

jay-z didn't get ripped in his own song. you guys are silly. it's not all about lyrics. i'm done in this thread. preachin to dumbasses like you wiggas is just a waste of motha [expletive]int ime

do you guys actually listen to Rakim and KRS-One or do you just throw them on the list because they're pioneers? I personally was never able to get into '80's hip-hop. the sound just doesn't do it for me. I could listen to '90's stuff all day, but the '80's sound is way different and just not appealing imo. I notice Rakim and KRS-One and groups like Public Enemy and Run DMC getting a lot of love, but I think it's mostly because they're some of the first to popularize mainstream hip-hop. if it wasn't for that, they'd probably get no recognition. I don't listen to any '80's hip-hop; being one of the first doesn't make you one of the best.

Yeah, I listen to 90% Golden Age Hip-Hop.

how could you think he's one of the five best when you don't even like his music?

Because I can see how talented he was, his music just doesn't appeal to me. I like a few songs, but for the most part I'm not a big fan.

jay-z didn't get ripped in his own song. you guys are silly. it's not all about lyrics. i'm done in this thread. preachin to dumbasses like you wiggas is just a waste of motha [expletive]int ime

LOL. You're a [expletive]ing clown. It's impossible to debate with you because you just say "You don't know anything, you're wrong, etc.". Because you have no argument. So you claim to be 'done' and then insult us. Damn...

Edited by Big Penny

LOL. You're a [expletive]ing clown. It's impossible to debate with you because you just say "You don't know anything, you're wrong, etc.". Because you have no argument. So you claim to be 'done' and then insult us. Damn...

I don't need to debate with you clowns who sit behind you're computer screen and are like OMG BIG L THAT DUDE GOES SOOO HARD.

It's not all about lyrical ability. Sure Big L is one of the best of all time and I have mad respect for that dude but you guys just think because they have cool lyrical ability that means that are so great. That's not everything. Jay-Z has the most creative, entertaining, wordplay, and production on his tracks of all time. EVERY album is quality. Look at his longevity. His body of work is far greater then anything immortal tecnhique, mos def, big l, etc. etc. to even put mos def and immortal technique in the same sentence as HOV shows you know nothing and why i don't know what i debate with you morons.

I don't need to debate with you clowns who sit behind you're computer screen and are like OMG BIG L THAT DUDE GOES SOOO HARD.

It's not all about lyrical ability. Sure Big L is one of the best of all time and I have mad respect for that dude but you guys just think because they have cool lyrical ability that means that are so great. That's not everything. Jay-Z has the most creative, entertaining, wordplay, and production on his tracks of all time. EVERY album is quality. Look at his longevity. His body of work is far greater then anything immortal tecnhique, mos def, big l, etc. etc. to even put mos def and immortal technique in the same sentence as HOV shows you know nothing and why i don't know what i debate with you morons.

It's not all about lyrical ability, but that is a big part. Just BTW, you talking about wordplay. Wordplay. Words = Lyrics. Big L couldn't go as long as Jay because he died. That's like saying 'Pac or BIG aren't good because they haven't been in the game as long as Nas or Jay. I didn't bring up Mos Def and I agree that Jay is better than Mos Def. As for Immortal Technique and Jay I enjoy listening to Jay more, but I just feel IT is a much more intelligent and better rapper. I could see how it could be debated either way. Big L however, has the greatest punchlines of any rapper (Something you were praising Wayne for), and had a great flow (See, I'm bringing up something that isn't lyrics.) I don't think it's too far out of reach to say that had he never died L would've been able to keep going just as long as Jay without a significant drop-off.

Just curious why you feel the need to insult us all at the end of every post? Why not just have a sensible debate rather than having to stick an insult to everyone who disagrees with you... do you suffer from tourettes? No disrespect if you do.

Lol are you serious ? If you could ask any rapper they would say Em murdered Jay on that track...Eminem made Jay look like a rookie in the game on renegade and Jay's lyrics were actually good, which shows how raw Em's verses were.

1.Eminem

2. Tupac

3. Nas

4. Tech N9ne

5. Biggie

6. Jay Z

7. Diabolic

8. Outkast

9. Immortal

10. Snoop

11. 50

Royce, Lowkey, etc...

Mix of favorites + top.

Lol are you serious ? If you could ask any rapper they would say Em murdered Jay on that track...Eminem made Jay look like a rookie in the game on renegade and Jay's lyrics were actually good, which shows how raw Em's verses were.

1.Eminem

2. Tupac

3. Nas

4. Tech N9ne

5. Biggie

6. Jay Z

7. Diabolic

8. Outkast

9. Immortal

10. Snoop

11. 50

Royce, Lowkey, etc...

Mix of favorites + top.

eminem had the best verses on the song but he didn't murder jay-z. it was probably the first and only time anyone has ever outshined jay on his own track. and lol at tech nine ahead of jay-z. gtfo with your wackness.

1.Eminem

2. Tupac

3. Nas

4. Tech N9ne

5. Biggie

6. Jay Z

7. Diabolic

8. Outkast

9. Immortal

10. Snoop

11. 50

Royce, Lowkey, etc...

Mix of favorites + top.

I think this is individual rappers, so you would have to put Andre 3000 and Big Boi seperately instead of just 'Outkast'.

eminem had the best verses on the song but he didn't murder jay-z. it was probably the first and only time anyone has ever outshined jay on his own track. and lol at tech nine ahead of jay-z. gtfo with your wackness.

Aren't you the one who defends Lil Wayne ? That right there should show how little you know of Hip Hop/Rap.

Aren't you the one who defends Lil Wayne ? That right there should show how little you know of Hip Hop/Rap.

Hahahahah. Sorry I don't listen to Immortal Technique all day...Lmfao Lil Wayne isn't a top rapper of all time though, I don't claim that he is. He's still one of the best punchline rappers out.

Hahahahah. Sorry I don't listen to Immortal Technique all day...Lmfao Lil Wayne isn't a top rapper of all time though, I don't claim that he is. He's still one of the best punchline rappers out.

Show me where i said i listen to Immortal Technique all day ? Ok and punchlines make a good rapper ? All his punchlines are about money, hoe's, and cars..His music doesn't tell stores, theres no complicated rhyme scheme, no multis, etc. he's trash.

@Big Penny : Oh haha didn't know that.

Andre & Big Boi def. on the list.

If you don't think Eminem murdered Jay on his own track, I don't know what to tell you. I mean, I'm not really a fan of Em at all, and I listen to Jay on a daily basis, but I'm not even going to pretend Jay hung with Em on that track. Seriously, when you do something like that and have a hip-hop slang term named after that feat (people claim someone "Renegaded" another artist when they own them on their own track), there's no arguing it.

• Like 2

So why should anyone respect YOUR opinion? Because you dig on Lil B's swag? Because you aren't white? Because Drake gets your little panties wet?

I'm really curious what exactly it is about JYD that makes you so convinced your opinion is worth more than anyone else's.

Edited by IllWill21™
  • Like 1

It's not all about lyrical ability. Sure Big L is one of the best of all time and I have mad respect for that dude but you guys just think because they have cool lyrical ability that means that are so great. That's not everything. Jay-Z has the most creative, entertaining, wordplay, and production on his tracks of all time.

Creativity? Jay is pretty clever, and has put out some creative tracks (like 22 Two's), but his creativity isn't anything special compared to some of the greats. Nas is a much, much better example of an extremely creative rapper (I Gave You Power, Rewind, etc...).

Wordplay is a part of lyrical ability. Eminem, AZ, and Big Pun all have vastly better wordplay than Jay-Z, and there are other rappers like MF Doom (but shouldn't be mentioned in a top 10 thread IMO) who also have superior wordplay. Some examples:

Big Pun:

"Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know

that we riddled some middleman who didn't do diddily

I rub your face off the Earth and curse your family's children

like Amityville drill the nerves in your cavity filling

Insanity's building up pavilion in my civilian

The cannon be the anarchy that humanity's dealing"

AZ:

"My verbals rip [expletive]

Brains give birth to thoughts in triplets

[expletive] it I'm on some flip [expletive]

Ready to let my clip spit, dramatical

Vocals release shells like automatics do

Music's magical causing any battle to be tragical

I got styles sick as hell, sicker than sickle cell anemia

Slaughter your circulatory like lukemia

Filled with larceny, who want parts of me

I'm vicious, mad malicious

Cause it's real on this road to riches

I got this mastered, other rappers'll craft it

Weak and wicked camoflauged as killers

How they speak and kick it

Peep this uniqueness

Nonbelievers I'm leaving speechless

Left to choke and skunk smoke was coming through the speakers"

Production? Jay doesn't produce his own tracks, and the production has no bearing on the quality of what you're spitting.

EVERY album is quality. Look at his longevity. His body of work is far greater then anything immortal tecnhique, mos def, big l, etc. etc. to even put mos def and immortal technique in the same sentence as HOV shows you know nothing and why i don't know what i debate with you morons.

I agree about his longetivity, but that's about the only arguement you can make for Jay being a top 5 rapper. I personally pay more attention how they were at their peaks, which is why I have 4 rappers who died in their 20's in my top 10. From a rapping standpoint, I think IT on Revolutionary Pt. II and Mos Def on BoBS and Blackstar were better than Jay ever was.

Edited by Nitro
  • Like 1

So here's mine... Did it really quickly, not a ton of thought into it... But you get the gist.

1. Nas

2. Rakim

3. Big L

4. Ice Cube

5. Notorious BIG

6. Scarface

7. Eminem

8. Pharoahe Monch

9. Common

10. Black Thought

HM: Xzibit, Andre 3k, Canibus, Big Pun, Lord Finesse

EDIT: Left guys like Pac and Jay off because I don't care for them... Just my taste.

Edited by IllWill21™