Top 3-5-10 rappers of all time?

kingfish

Eh...I respect his contributions to the rap game, but I never liked his music much personally. Also, whenever I think of LL, I think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhYklzKQpfs

Yeah, I know... haha. Great diss, one of the hardest. LL's early stuff when he first broke onto the scene in the 80's is ridiculous, like you said, have to respect his contributions. I never liked his stuff much because I grew up with the [expletive]-gettin-wet LL songs, but taking a trip back to his Radio/Mama Said albums allows you to respect him a bit more. 11 golds and plats, that's solid.

A couple of my favorites/classics most don't know:

I Can't Live Without My Radio

Murdergram

I'm Bad

Jack the Ripper

You'll Rock

I Shot Ya

Hip Hop

I wanna meet u in person and slap ur thang, not ur face, ur thang. juicy thick thang

Lmfao U wouldn't stand a chance against me fam...I only got love for U though Warren

Edited by JYD

He calls Pac overrated while hugging Jay's nuts... Cute.

The Jigga man is better.

Pac is good but he's not a top 2 or 3 MC. He's just not that good, I personally don't like him much.

He's definitely top 10 though, I have a lot of respect for the dude. People just severely overrate him. Especially people who know nothing about rap. They are like OMG TUPAC GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!!!

The Jigga man is better.

Pac is good but he's not a top 2 or 3 MC. He's just not that good, I personally don't like him much.

He's definitely top 10 though, I have a lot of respect for the dude. People just severely overrate him. Especially people who know nothing about rap. They are like OMG TUPAC GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!!!

So.. what makes Jay better than Pac?

So.. what makes Jay better than Pac?

Jay-Z's entire discography is superior to Pac's...

The only reason Tupac is nearly as popular amongst people who don't really know hip-hop is the fact that he's dead. Same goes for BIG. They were good, no doubt, I'm not saying Pac was talentless, but a guy like Pac gets a lot more hype because of his tragic death.

I am a big fan of Pac's song "Changes" though. Really love that song.

The only reason Tupac is nearly as popular amongst people who don't really know hip-hop is the fact that he's dead. Same goes for BIG. They were good, no doubt, I'm not saying Pac was talentless, but a guy like Pac gets a lot more hype because of his tragic death.

Wrong, wrong. How can you even say Pac is not a top 3 MC? It took him less than a week to complete the whole Don Killuminati 7 day theory album. That includes laying in vocals, mixing, producing. Jigga's discography is better just because he has released more albums? If that's not the case then what is?

Pac's lyrics are better, his song concepts are better and he was a better producer, all that next to being a full time actor.

The only thing Jay's better than Pac was is wordplay.. and that's it.

I agree, Changes is a great great track. But not Pac's greatest.

How old are you? Considering you probably aren't even my age, 20, you have no idea the kind of hype they received when they were alive. 2Pac was a huge star once he signed with Death Row, and had a ton of hit songs, appeared in famous movies, etc... Biggie, just 2 albums in, was considered the 'King of NY' before he died. Think about that. With Nas, a young Jay-Z, Big L, KRS-One, Rakim and many other NY rappers spitting at the time, Biggie had the city on lock with just 2 albums. His funeral where they drove his casket through Brooklyn looked like a funeral for a president:

http://listicles.thelmagazine.com/wp-content/upload/biggiefuneral.jpg

Think about how many rappers who were spitting at the time acknowledge them as arguably the best rappers of all time. You think they are biased because Pac and Biggie died tragically?

• Like 3

How old are you? Considering you probably aren't even my age, 20, you have no idea the kind of hype they received when they were alive. 2Pac was a huge star once he signed with Death Row, and had a ton of hit songs, appeared in famous movies, etc... Biggie, just 2 albums in, was considered the 'King of NY' before he died. Think about that. With Nas, a young Jay-Z, Big L, KRS-One, Rakim and many other NY rappers spitting at the time, Biggie had the city on lock with just 2 albums. His funeral where they drove his casket through Brooklyn looked like a funeral for a president:

http://listicles.thelmagazine.com/wp-content/upload/biggiefuneral.jpg

Think about how many rappers who were spitting at the time acknowledge them as arguably the best rappers of all time. You think they are biased because Pac and Biggie died tragically?

As they say...legends never die. Pac's and Biggie's music will live forever. Listening to today's mainstream artists like Wayne and Drake just make me sad. Grandmaster Flash, Sugarhill Gang, LL Cool J.... laid the foundation, Pac, Big, Nas, Big L, Eazy E, Snoop Dogg, Jay Z etc built on it and today's rappers are tearing it all apart and making it look like a pile of [expletive].

Edited by #24
  • Like 1

As they say...legends never die. Pac's and Biggie's music will live forever. Listening to today's mainstream artists like Wayne and Drake just make me sad. Grandmaster Flash, Sugarhill Gang, LL Cool J.... laid the foundation, Pac, Big, Nas, Big L, Eazy E, Snoop Dogg, Jay Z etc built on it and today's rappers are tearing it all apart and making it look like a pile of [expletive].

Lol. Wayne and Drake are not trying to be like old school hip-hop. It's a different generation. Stop sounding like a Grandfather when you talk about the new guys in Hip Hop. Drake isn't talking about toting a gun, Wayne is a punchline rapper. They are all completely different styles. You can't compare Lil Wayne to Tupac; it's foolish.

And I'm not saying they weren't good when they were alive or weren't well received I'm just saying that it magnified their music when they no longer exist. Same thing would've happened to Jay-Z if he were tragically shot and killed 5 years ago. I'm not saying their music sucked or anything, I'm just saying their music was elevated because of the sudden death of each of them.

And I'm not saying they weren't good when they were alive or weren't well received I'm just saying that it magnified their music when they no longer exist. Same thing would've happened to Jay-Z if he were tragically shot and killed 5 years ago. I'm not saying their music sucked or anything, I'm just saying their music was elevated because of the sudden death of each of them.

Their deaths did elevate their music in the view of the masses, but you have to realize that when they were alive they were still ranked among the 5 greatest rappers by most. Biggie was considered the 'King of NY' in the strongest era of rap in the city's history, and Pac was the most famous rapper in the game for the last year or so of his life. People older than us who were a part of the industry at the time, from rappers to producers to DJ's to whoever, commonly place them among the greatest of all-time.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is you're ignorant to the situation, as I am for the most part, which is rely on my opinion as well as what people at the time were saying about Pac and BIG.

• Like 1

Lol. Wayne and Drake are not trying to be like old school hip-hop. It's a different generation. Stop sounding like a Grandfather when you talk about the new guys in Hip Hop. Drake isn't talking about toting a gun, Wayne is a punchline rapper. They are all completely different styles. You can't compare Lil Wayne to Tupac; it's foolish.

I wasn't saying they're 'trying to be' old school hip-hop. Pac and Big are considered the greatest of 90's (and all-time) Wayne is considered the greatest of this hip-hop era (and some are saying greatest of all time lol). How can i not compare two hip-hop artists even if they're not from the same generation?

What makes you say Pac's and Big's music gained popularity after their deaths? The only reason why Pac still has a growing fanbase is because his music still remains great and it gets to people.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...