Top 3-5-10 rappers of all time?

kingfish

So why should anyone respect YOUR opinion? Because you dig on Lil B's swag? Because you aren't white? Because Drake gets your little panties wet?

I'm really curious what exactly it is about JYD that makes you so convinced your opinion is worth more than anyone else's.

I thought he was white.

Anyway my list is the best list cause I am very experienced in rap and hip hop and ya'll can't hang and you have never slanged rocks or moved weight before and I know someone who knows a guy who has so therefore my list is the best and my opinion is the best and everyone else's is not good:

1. CunninLynguists

2. Little Brother

3. Brother Ali

4. Lupe Fiasco

5. Talib Kweli

6. Kobe Bryant

7. Slug

8. Evidence

9. Paul Wall

10. MF Doom

Ah, forgot about Xzibit, Ice Cube, Mos, Talib.

Talib Kweli is one of the most underrated of all time. That's a dude that's constantly slept on.

Edited by JYD

Creativity? Jay is pretty clever, and has put out some creative tracks (like 22 Two's), but his creativity isn't anything special compared to some of the greats. Nas is a much, much better example of an extremely creative rapper (I Gave You Power, Rewind, etc...).

Wordplay is a part of lyrical ability. Eminem, AZ, and Big Pun all have vastly better wordplay than Jay-Z, and there are other rappers like MF Doom (but shouldn't be mentioned in a top 10 thread IMO) who also have superior wordplay. Some examples:

Big Pun:

"Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know

that we riddled some middleman who didn't do diddily

I rub your face off the Earth and curse your family's children

like Amityville drill the nerves in your cavity filling

Insanity's building up pavilion in my civilian

The cannon be the anarchy that humanity's dealing"

AZ:

"My verbals rip [expletive]

Brains give birth to thoughts in triplets

[expletive] it I'm on some flip [expletive]

Ready to let my clip spit, dramatical

Vocals release shells like automatics do

Music's magical causing any battle to be tragical

I got styles sick as hell, sicker than sickle cell anemia

Slaughter your circulatory like lukemia

Filled with larceny, who want parts of me

I'm vicious, mad malicious

Cause it's real on this road to riches

I got this mastered, other rappers'll craft it

Weak and wicked camoflauged as killers

How they speak and kick it

Peep this uniqueness

Nonbelievers I'm leaving speechless

Left to choke and skunk smoke was coming through the speakers"

Production? Jay doesn't produce his own tracks, and the production has no bearing on the quality of what you're spitting.

I agree about his longetivity, but that's about the only arguement you can make for Jay being a top 5 rapper. I personally pay more attention how they were at their peaks, which is why I have 4 rappers who died in their 20's in my top 10. From a rapping standpoint, I think IT on Revolutionary Pt. II and Mos Def on BoBS and Blackstar were better than Jay ever was.

I never really looked deep into AZ's music. He got any albums that have replay value all throughout ?

I never really looked deep into AZ's music. He got any albums that have replay value all throughout ?

Doe or Doe is an absolute classic, basically Illmatic Lite. One of the best rap albums of all-time. 9 Lives is also mad good.

What's your take on Big Pun vs. Big L ?

Pun had a more complex rhyme scheme, switched up his flow more, had a much larger vocabulary and poetically he was a lot deeper. L's whole style was a lot more structured, he was the best I've ever seen at perfectly rhyming multiple words (like "leavin' token blacks with broken backs and open caps"), he was a lot more consistent, and IMO his slower delivery and voice made him easier to understand and really take in what he was trying to convey.

Personally, I like L better.

• 2 weeks later...