Knicks offer for Melo is turned down by Denver

NomarFachix

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/knicks_offer_for_anthony_turned_TZulwtYJI1WIcLgTm8ywyK

The Knicks offered Wilson Chandler, Landry Fields and a first-round draft pick to the Nuggets in exchange for Carmelo Anthony but were turned down, ESPN 1050 Radio reports.

The first-round pick the Knicks would deal has not been acquired by them yet, the report says. Rumors have them sending Anthony Randolph to the Timberwolves for a first-round pick if need be.

If the Knicks throw in Curry's expriring contract, and maybe take on one of Denver's [expletive]ty contracts (like Harrington), I think Denver would pull the trigger. They are looking for cap relief, which was the big holdup on the deal that would have sent Melo to NJ, so Curry's expiring would be enticing.

if they reject that, [expletive] them, we will take him over the summer

I agree. They have to be kidding me. What do they expect from a guy who's going to leave anyway?! Wilson Chandler and Landry Fields are two terrific young players!

If the Knicks throw in Curry's expriring contract, and maybe take on one of Denver's [expletive]ty contracts (like Harrington), I think Denver would pull the trigger. They are looking for cap relief, which was the big holdup on the deal that would have sent Melo to NJ, so Curry's expiring would be enticing.

I think Curry being involved is pretty much a given to make the salaries work

Curry 11.25 mill

Chandler 2 mill

Landry .5 mill

for

Melo 17 mill

125% rule makes this trade barely passable

Edited by fish7718

I'd love to grab an Andersen type guy. Though I never hated Harrington as much as many others did, D'Antoni loathes the guy. He's not terrible if he can curb that awful shot selection. Another sniping threat.

What does Denver expect? Chandler is a guaranteed 15/7 guy at least, Fields is going to be a 10/7 guy and both can play defense. You're getting a first-round pick, AND a huge expiring contract. Are they on crack?

For some reason I believe this report has got to be false.

Edited by JYD

What does Denver expect? Chandler is a guaranteed 15/7 guy at least, Fields is going to be a 10/7 guy and both can play defense. You're getting a first-round pick, AND a huge expiring contract. Are they on crack?

For some reason I believe this report has got to be false.

It's pretty obvious that they are just being stubborn in not wanting to deal him to NY to get back at both him (for not accepting the contract extension to NJ) and NY (because they think the Knicks tampered with Melo)

I think Curry being involved is pretty much a given to make the salaries work

Curry 11.25 mill

Chandler 2 mill

Landry .5 mill

for

Melo 17 mill

125% rule makes this trade barely passable

Yeah, you're right. The Knicks could throw in Turiaf, who is a $4M expiring, and take on either Harrington or Birdman. That would give the Nuggets added capspace, will get rid of one of their bad deals, and they'll get some value in return along with picks. If they shot down that trade and I was Walsh, I'd hold a press conference with a shirt that says, '[expletive] Denver' and just wait for FA to scoop Melo.

but they already have Afflalo. getting Fields is rather pointless. Chandler's proven to be a good player, but he's an expiring contract and I doubt he sticks with Denver beyond this year. everything else is garbage. Curry is just there to match salaries and the first round pick won't even be lottery. I would have rejected the deal too if I were Denver.

I actually read somewhere that Chandler has no intentions of signing a long term contract with Denver if he's traded. I'm sure that played a significant role in Denvers decision.

Edited by Confidence
  • Like 1

I actually read somewhere that Chandler has no intentions of signing a long term contract with Denver if he's traded. I'm sure that played a significant role in Denvers decision.

The only place I've heard this is from Multi Billionaire's keystrokes. I've yet to come across a Chandler quote in any capacity saying he absolutely will not re-sign with Denver... If you find where you read it, please share. I've legit been looking since MB said it, lol.

Closest related thing I could find:

Denver is not as smitten with Danilo Gallinari as Mike D'Antoni is, and as much as the Nuggets have been impressed by the way Wilson Chandler has played, the Nuggets do not want to box themselves into a position in which they'd have to overpay to keep Chandler next summer when he becomes a restricted free agent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=6039161

Denvers selfish mentality through this whole process is appalling. This attitude is going to end up biting them in the [expletive].

they're not being selfish - they just want to make the right deal.

a lot of you are acting like New York is Denver's sole trade partner. he might not sign an extension anywhere else, but they still have the power to trade him anywhere they choose.

I would honestly take Deng, Gibson, and a filler over what was offered by the Knicks here, and I think Chicago would agree to such a deal. Deng has a ridiculous contract, but him and Gibson would be great compliments to Afflalo and Lawson. that's what rebuilding is all about - getting the right pieces. hell, I'd even take a couple of Houston's young big men over that Knicks package.

well, they could get an expiring contract and a first round pick from any team, so let's throw that out the window right now. that leaves you with Fields and Chandler. Denver already has Afflalo, so Fields would be redundant and ultimately pointless. Chandler has proven to be a good player, but he's an expiring contract and I highly doubt he sticks with Denver for the long-term. so in the grand scheme of things, you'd be getting Fields and a non-lottery first round pick for Melo. I would have rejected the deal too if I was Denver.

I'd love to grab an Andersen type guy. Though I never hated Harrington as much as many others did, D'Antoni loathes the guy. He's not terrible if he can curb that awful shot selection. Another sniping threat.

You're absolutely right, I think D'Antoni wakes up in a cold sweat at the possibility he may end up coaching Harrington again. Harrington's not a smart offensive player, he kills ball movement, and he's a poor defender.

The Knicks have leverage anyway. They know they can get Melo for free this offseason.

We can get Nets back in this if we lower our asking price...

80% of what Nets offered is still better than any Knicks package. We just have to be slightly less demanding.

Get it through your head, Melo is not signing with NJ, a deal would be done if he was.

well, they could get an expiring contract and a first round pick from any team, so let's throw that out the window right now. that leaves you with Fields and Chandler. Denver already has Afflalo, so Fields would be redundant and ultimately pointless. Chandler has proven to be a good player, but he's an expiring contract and I highly doubt he sticks with Denver for the long-term. so in the grand scheme of things, you'd be getting Fields and a non-lottery first round pick for Melo. I would have rejected the deal too if I was Denver.

You raise some good points. But First of all, lets clear this up, If Melo doesn't want to sign with Chicago, they won't give up some key pieces in order to rent him...

You make a good point about the Nuggets-Knicks proposal, however, the Nuggets could get Chandler and Fields, a first rd pick and an exp contract...or get virtually nothing next summer when Melo walks away. We've already seen what happens to teams when your star player leaves (tor and cle) and hell, even look at phoenix...they definitely miss amar'e a ton too.

I wouldn't mind the Knicks dealing Gallinari, Fields, 1st rd and Curry. I think that's completely fair. Gallinari will probably be an 18/5 guy for his career, and is still incredibly young, and Fields will always be a solid role player and has the potential to be a 13/8 guy down the line - who knows. You know that guy will be play hard every night for you. Plus you get the pick and the contract guaranteed from whatever deal you get for Melo.

The Knicks would definitely be willing to make that deal. I just don't see any deal out there right now that is realistic, because what team would give away more than that if Melo refuses to sign an extension?

My suggestion for Knick fans is to just wait until 24th Feb and see.

Denver would rather keep Melo, hold onto hope that he resigns, than trade him for that Knicks package. Or it would rather re-engage Nets by asking less.

Even if Prokhorov wasn't aware with the details of the Melo deal until he got here, he knew the extent to how long and how hard his organization had been in the talks. Make no wrong analysis about that is how badly Prokhorov wants Melo. One of his reasonings to end the talks is to stop the distraction, but even without trade talks, they still stink, I am sure Denver can instantly re-engage NJ back in the talks when it nears 24th and they realize they exhaust all options and NJ's offer still stands as the best... either by agreeing to NJ's last proposal or asking for less.

I got a feeling Knick fans will all be disappointed... the way LeBron decided not to sign.

Don't get me wrong tho, I would be happy for Knicks if they get Melo... finally they can be real contenders again. I always like the Knicks especially the arena, I am just sick of what they offer us and they and their fanbase think it's good enough cuz "we won't get anything better".

Fields and Chandler? I'd rather choke on a piece of steak than witness Denver do that deal.

Edited by Multi-Billionaire

Denver would rather keep Melo, hold onto hope that he resigns, than trade him for that Knicks package.

In that case, they would deserve what they get. Which is nothing.

Fields and Chandler? I'd rather choke on a piece of steak than witness Denver do that deal.

I honestly hope you get nothing and become irrelevant for the next decade.