Carmelo Anthony officially a New York Knick

Guest N/A

I remember how many people (including me) were trashing Ujiri for asking for too much in return for Melo, now he's looking like a genius. Very happy for Nuggets fans, they won't have to go through a long rebuilding process, and have the opportunity to make more moves to further strengthen their core.

What's more important than the raw skill and talent being exchanged is the flexibility this gives for the Knicks. Their only player contracts larger than 2M/year or so lasting past the summer of 2012 will be Melo's and Amar'e's, unless I misread/misremembered something. Getting a player like Chris Paul, Deron Williams, or Dwight Howard, all of which are annual top 10 MVP candidates respectively, is worth MUCH more than keeping Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Galinari, and the Knicks' current lack of depth and interior size combined, even if it takes two years to acquire one of these mega stars. There are only a small handful of players in the world that can truly be the center piece for a successful team, and the Knicks could potentially gain a third player of this magnitude. The ends often justify the means, and Knicks may slowly be unfolding a dynasty.

While the Knicks have traded away today's good team for tomorrow's super team, the Nuggets managed to squeeze as much value as possible for a player that would leave inevitably, and have acquired even greater depth than before. Though they traded away a superstar, somehow they may possibly have become an even stronger overall team than before, and it's not just the release of some speculated distractions. They may not have any single, highly dominant players, but every player, from positions 1 through 5, starter or bench player, can have a high impact on this team in any game. Their best player may very well now be Aaron Afflalo (though I'm sure many would argue it to be Raymond Felton, or perhaps Chandler or Nene), but their VERY worst player out of their entire first and second unit is Chris Anderson, who is a reputable shot blocker and rebounder and a player the I would love to be in the Heat's starting line up.

Minus the upcoming probable role adjustments, the new starting line up combined for an average of about 67 points, and the second unit 52 points. Altogether, 119 points. Of course, the combined average players of two separate teams won't remain this high with the distribution of minutes, but still, this team looks to me like a championship contender, and their best player? Arron Afflalo?? Well, at least in my opinion. It's the most well rounded team since the '04 Pistons.

• Like 1

Denver was going to deal Melo before the deadline, no matter what. If it meant him to New Jersey, they would've done it. They would've taken Bynum, too.

And Melo was going to accept it. There's no way he would NOT sign that extension, as long as it was a big market team with potential to contend. Waiting until the off-season...it would be different if this were February 2010. With the uncertainty of the new CBA, he wouldn't have risked it, and New York knew this had to be done.

I KNOW...

We should have done Nets deal :( :(

But check this out...

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/photo_images/1985180/102055_Nuggets_Anthony_Trade_Talks_Basketball.jpg

Can you feel the heat and fire blazing from within Gallo? Those competitive pair of eyes. He's looking at opponents and want to kill em and rip their hearts out.

Chandler is checking out some chic, and Felton is going through the motion... they can be traded.

Nuggets also acquire a $17.15 trade exception. This deal keeps on looking better for them.

The Nuggets will acquire four traded player exceptions in their trade of Carmelo Anthony to the Knicks, one of which will be the largest ever conveyed.

The total salary of outgoing players sent by the Knicks is slightly large enough to receive the incoming players.

Denver will essentially trade the contract of Chauncey Billups for the contracts of Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov and Wilson Chandler.

The Nuggets will receive traded player exceptions for Anthony, Renaldo Balkman, Shelden Williams and Anthony Carter.

The traded player exception for Anthony will be worth approximately $17.15M and is greater than any other in NBA history.

The other traded player exceptions will be worth $1.675M and two for $854k apiece.

The Knicks will not receive a traded player exception from Minnesota. Eddy Curry and Anthony Randolph are absorbed by the Wolves using their cap space and by sending Corey Brewer to New York in exchange.

Denver was over the cap and this is why traded player exceptions were necessary. Because the Knicks were under the cap, they received no exceptions from Minnesota.

Teams can use traded player exceptions in trades to absorb salary without sending comparable contracts in exchange.

The Cavaliers, Raptors and Jazz received substantial traded player exceptions during the 2010 offseason when they participated in sign-and-trade deals involving LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Carlos Boozer respectively.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211261/Nuggets_Will_Receive_Four_Traded_Player_Exceptions_One_A_League_Record_$1715M#ixzz1EjIz9QzO

I KNOW...

We should have done Nets deal :( :(

But check this out...

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/photo_images/1985180/102055_Nuggets_Anthony_Trade_Talks_Basketball.jpg

Can you feel the heat and fire blazing from within Gallo? Those competitive pair of eyes. He's looking at opponents and want to kill em and rip their hearts out.

Chandler is checking out some chic, and Felton is going through the motion... they can be traded.

1 or 2 of those people will be gone by Thursday...

The more and more I let this sink in, the more and more I agree with what you're saying. I don't mind the price anymore, we have two players who started the ASG in a 30 team league. Still need pieces to make this work, but the base is there!

It's either we over paid for Melo, or we raped the system and stole a small markets best player through FA, either way we are going to be criticized/villanized/hated on. HGH my man HGH, we got Melo and Stoudemire, all I care about right now.

Personally I certainly do not understand how some people can say that the Nuggets won the trade...

I mean it certainly was a good deal for Denver, they got the best they could for Melo, but how can they be considered the winner as they lost their franchise player ?? They have some nice talents for the future but none of them will ever be close to the player that Melo is. And with no franchise player the Nuggets will not have a chance to be a legit contender for a long time...

While the Knicks just got a second franchise player. Alright we lost a lot of players that's true. But we have now two superstars. The last time we had two superstars was in the 70's with Frazier and Reed (Starks is my fav player with Ewing but he was a star, not a superstar, and neither Spree nor Houston were superstars...), it was also with these two players that we won our two rings. So we're not as deep as we used to (D'Antoni has always liked eight players rotations anyhow..) but first it doesn't matter as we had no chance to win anything this year anyhow and now we have a better team for the future. We are clearly the winners of this trade.

Now it's true that we could have waited for this summer but who knows what would have happened ? Maybe the Nuggets would have traded Melo elsewhere and he would have signed an extension there... We never know what can happen. We had an opportunity to have Melo now so we were RIGHT to take it. The future is now.

Besides now that we got Anthony, do we really need the players that we lost ? Anthony is a SF, just like Gallo and Chandler so there wouldn't have been enough minutes for them both. Especially that we still got a lot of wing players like Williams, Walker, Brewer, Azubuike, Douglas and Fields. We just don't need Gallo and Chandler any longer.

Fields is another reason why I'm particularly happy about this trade. He was the only player that I didn't want to lose. The fact that we managed to get Melo without having to trade Fields is a victory to me. As a matter of fact, contrary to Felton, Gallo or Chandler, Fields still can improve a lot. Yes I believe that with Gallo, Chandler and Felton what we see is what we got, I don't believe that those players can improve a lot now. While Fields is one of the best rookies this year and definitely can become a true NBA star.

Our biggest loss in that trade is Felton IMO. He was our only true PG. And the two we got are old, that's true. BUT for NOW I certainly believe that it will be more than enough. And actually even better as Billups is an experienced PG, who is far from being done yet, and knows how to lead a team far away in the playoffs. So it's clearly better to have Billups now. We can't say the same thing for the future... But it's not like Felton was one of a kind at the same time and we'll have plenty of time to find other young talented PGs in the future. So I'm not worried one bit.

As for our inside players, sure we lost Mozgov and Randolph... No a big deal honestly. Randolph wasn't even playing (besides he was not really an inside player despite his size but rather a SF...) and the only thing that Mozgov did this year was getting humiliated by Blake Grifin... We still got our two best players inside, Amaré and Turiaf. That's what matters the most.

So when we look at it, even if we do not have the same depth, we clearly have a better team than before the trade overall. Before the trade we could at best go to the playoffs and lose in the first round. Now I believe that, if all the players get quickly used to their new team, we could reach the EC semis. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that I believe that we will, in fact if I had to bet on us right now I would bet that we would lose in the first round as well, no, what I'm saying is that IF our new players get easily used to their new team, if we develop quickly a chemistry and everyone, well if this happens I believe that IT IS POSSIBLE for us to get to the EC semis or maybe even, who knows..., the ECF. We have our big three (Anthony, Stat, Billups) and as I just showed it the rest of the team is still defintely good enough on paper.

Our biggest problem is inside but the Suns were not better than us inside when they went to the WCF... The inside game is not that important in D'Antoni's system anyhow. Also will Rose play at this level the whole year and at what level will Noah play when he gets back ?, will Noah and Boozer be comfortable playing together ? the Celtics are too old and injury prone (they're still my favorite for the ring though) and the Heat have not been really convincing, especially when we look at their record against the best teams. The best Eastern teams have all question marks there is no doubt about it. Now I'm not saying that we're better than those teams, c certainly not, those teams are clearly better than us right now, especially that we have everything to prove. And again I'm not saying that I believe we will get to the ECF or even the semis, I'm just saying that thanks to this trade it could now EVENTUALLY happen.

Well anyhow no matter what, we are clearly the big winner of this trade, the Knicks are definitely back in business and I have to say that, after all those terrible years, it finally feels good again to be a Knicks fan.

Go New York !!!

that was a wild ride, fellas, but we finally got our man. I think we'll look back on this in a year and be really glad we made the deal. sure, the price was steep, but it was worth it imo. it's important people understand this deal was for the future. we're not expecting to go all the way this year. the hope is that Melo and Stat attract future free agents to New York and eventually put us into championship contention.

we have a lot of NBA talents on our roster now. hopefully, D'Antoni gets his head out of his ass and starts running a ten man rotation:

Billups/Douglas

Fields/Brewer

Melo/Williams

Amare/Balkman

Turiaf/Williams

it was a steep price to pay, but it feels good knowing the New York native Anthony is back home. five of my favorite players in the league are on this team now - Melo, Amare, Fields, Turiaf, and Brewer.

I can't wait for the game against Miami this Sunday. this duo is going to provide Knicks fans with excitement and joy for years to come.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/78/fullj.a6993c923550670fe4b58b76158e30bb/a6993c923550670fe4b58b76158e30bb-getty-109009675mw112_2011_nba_all.jpg

Whelp, I guess now I'll have to root for The Landlord. And HOV's boy Randolph will get playing time.

haha had to change your name again? nice.

Donnie Walsh has become the punching bag of the NBA, first last year's deal with Houston and now this.

I'm 99% sure Walsh was against this deal. from everything I've heard and read, he didn't even want it to happen, but Dolan just took over and made the trade.

Look like Knicks are my new team since Melo going to officially be a New York Knicks

welcome to the club, my good man.

Better pray to the Gods of jelly that we can attract some nice shit in the offseason... Yikes.

not really anyone intriguing this offseason; 2012 is where it's at, although, getting Oden this summer would be pretty sweet.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

did D'Antoni really post that?

Just gotta get a new coach and the Knicks will be a contender.

hopefully, we get Keith Smart this summer. I haven't heard any rumors of it or anything, I'd just like to see it happen, personally. :)

we have a lot of NBA talents on our roster now. hopefully, D'Antoni gets his head out of his ass and starts running a ten man rotation:

Billups/Douglas

Fields/Brewer

Melo/Williams

Amare/Balkman

Turiaf/Williams

If Shelden Williams and Balkman are ever on the court at the same time I may myself :lol: stick with the 8 man rotation unless you're resting players, you can even run 9 if you want to play Walker, but I can't see Balkman being useful, and Shelden Williams should either start, or warm the bench imo.

not really anyone intriguing this offseason; 2012 is where it's at, although, getting Oden this summer would be pretty sweet.

Jamal Crawford :wub:

did D'Antoni really post that?

Nah, it's a fake twitter called coach d'antoni but it's well known on twitter, the guy is hilarious, it's been up for a couple years, it was real funny back in the days of when Curry was talked about and our team sucked.

LOL Nuggets won the trade..

I'm probably the only one who's not as excited as I was with Amare. We got Melo yeah, but at what cost..... Only time will tell. I have the Knicks missing the playoffs this season. That's just me.

LOL Nuggets won the trade..

I'm probably the only one who's not as excited as I was with Amare. We got Melo yeah, but at what cost..... Only time will tell. I have the Knicks missing the playoffs this season. That's just me.

TnG??? For the love of God tell me that is you.

Really wouldn't mind throwing him a 1 year "prove it" deal, but I'm sure he'll get something better from someone else :(

you never know. he's a Buffalo native, after all. :)

Jamal Crawford.

I loved Jamal when he was with the Knicks, but we have no room for him anymore.

that money would be better spent on a center or a true pg.

Nah, it's a fake twitter called coach d'antoni but it's well known on twitter, the guy is hilarious, it's been up for a couple years, it was real funny back in the days of when Curry was talked about and our team sucked.

lolz.

I have the Knicks missing the playoffs this season.

http://sportsmansdaily.com/thescrum/wp-content/shaq-299x300.jpg

:unsure: In the east?

Who do you have over them? The 76ers, Pacers, Bobcats? :lol:

It's the Knicks... I've been a fan too long, I can see the team collapsing anytime LOL

I mean I'm happy Melo is a Knick. Hope we doing something in a couple years.

TnG??? For the love of God tell me that is you.

Yeahhhhh. Hi! :wub:

Agree with SeasonSeven, in no way shape or form did he leave like LeBron.... -_-

Edited by bloo

Yo Nick, you still got all your sigs from back in the JBB days? I wanna rock some of em.

err.. not really, i deleted all the files on my computer by accident... lmao

umm, hold up. i think i have an old photobucket account.