GM2: New York at Boston (BOS 1-0)

Real Deal

Sounds like your beef is more with Melo than D'Antoni. AmIrite?!

You ever see a Doc Rivers team feeding Nenad Krstic type players for game winners?

Phil Jackson team feeding Brian Cook with 10 seconds in the playoffs?

If you design a good play, someone competent will get the ball with a good look. Melo played the game of his life, I just wish Jared Jeffries wasn't in charge of the offense on the final possession. You can't tell me your best option is Jeffries in the post.. ever. Unless you're a D-League team somewhere (which, honestly, we were close to tonight.)

I'm fine with that. Pick one, pick any one. Jared Jeffries is the most incompetent offensive player on this team. He's less apt on offense than Turiaf.

Inbounds to Steve Nash, fed down low to Garret Siler for the win. You happy with that to end a playoff game?

Sure, if the dude just came off of giving us the lead then why not go back to him if he's open.

lol ok man.

Dude your making it sound like Dantoni or Melo did something wrong. I don't get why a pass to a guy a couple feet from the basket who's open is a bad decision. Even if it is Jeffries. The Celtics played it that way and made Melo pass it to him, the shooters were covered up on the perimeter. If anything, blame Jeffries and Jeffries only.

Edited by Prodigy

You ever see a Doc Rivers team feeding Nenad Krstic type players for game winners?

Well, when you have 3 future HoF players and a an all-star PG, there really isn't much the coach can do to screw things up in terms of getting a quality shot off from a great player. Usually Pierce or Allen are given the opportunity to hit the big shot, but tonight Rivers had the luxury of giving it to Kevin freaking Garnett as yet another option to win the game. D'Antoni had Melo and a bunch of bench warmers to work with...he gave it to Melo who made the correct play, and the guy that ended up trying to make a play to put the Knicks up had the best shooting night of anyone on the team.

• Like 1

and the guy that ended up trying to make a play to put the Knicks up had the best shooting night of anyone on the team.

i honestly don't care if you're going to try and defend the play, but don't use Jeffries' shooting percentage on open layups and putbacks as the reasoning. he may be arguably the worst offensive player in the nba.

Dude your making it sound like Dantoni or Melo did something wrong. I don't get why a pass to a guy a couple feet from the basket who's open is a bad decision. Even if it is Jeffries. The Celtics played it that way and made Melo pass it to him, the shooters were covered up on the perimeter. If anything, blame Jeffries and Jeffries only.

I'm not making it sound like Melo did something wrong, not even a little bit.

There has to be an option, on an inbounds play after a full timeout, that doesn't result with the ball in the hands of one of the worst offensive players in the entire league. I apologize if you disagree with this, but that's how I feel. As an NBA coach, you have to be able to scheme a play that doesn't end in 'Jeffries in the post'.

My unwavering opinion, but feel free to banter on about it.

• Owner

i honestly don't care if you're going to try and defend the play, but don't use Jeffries' shooting percentage on open layups and putbacks as the reasoning. he may be arguably the worst offensive player in the nba.

I think that's why you have a lot of people defending the play in the first place. Jeffries had the best look at the basket, aside from Walker (who Melo couldn't find at the time), and getting it to Jeffries was probably the best option. We already saw Melo jack up a 26-footer to try and win Game 1, and with two people on him, he wasn't going to hit it this time around, either.

I've been hard on guys like Walton and Vujacic for a few years, saying that Kobe and Fish are the only two guys who should ever take a game-winning jumper...but that's just it: a jumper. If Kobe has Walton three feet from the rim, and Kobe is being doubled, I'd hope he throws it to Walton. Unfortunately, guys like him are usually 23 feet from the rim, waiting for a long three that they can't hit.

Walton had that opportunity once, against the Knicks (ironically), and he screwed it up because he wasn't expecting the pass. Jeffries wanted it.

Had Jeffries put the ball in the hoop, I'm pretty sure things would be much different here, and everyone would be talking about the surprising offensive production Jeffries put out for the Knicks tonight.

The fact is, when you have an NBA player three feet from the rim, with the least amount of defensive attention on him, and your primary option (and, truly, your only option) is doubled 25 feet from the rim, you have to make that pass and cross your fingers.

• Like 2

There has to be an option, on an inbounds play after a full timeout, that doesn't result with the ball in the hands of one of the worst offensive players in the entire league. I apologize if you disagree with this, but that's how I feel. As

an NBA coach, you have to be able to scheme a play that doesn't end in 'Jeffries in the post'.

haha ok bro.

Phil Jackson team feeding Brian Cook with 10 seconds in the playoffs?

If you design a good play, someone competent will get the ball with a good look. Melo played the game of his life, I just wish Jared Jeffries wasn't in charge of the offense on the final possession. You can't tell me your best option is Jeffries in the post.. ever. Unless you're a D-League team somewhere (which, honestly, we were close to tonight.)

If Amar'e Stoudemire and Chauncey Billups are on the court, do you really think the ball goes to Jeffries. C'mon man, Jeffries was wide open, options were limited. If Jeffries sneaks that pass to Walker, we're talking about going to back to MSG 1-1 most likely.

Oh, Jeffries has been awful all year, but 5 ft from the hoop and 6'11", you've got to trust him when he's wide open to at least do something productive. Hell, tbf to the guy, he just made a key layup on the last possession and had a good night.

There has to be an option, on an inbounds play after a full timeout, that doesn't result with the ball in the hands of one of the worst offensive players in the entire league. I apologize if you disagree with this, but that's how I feel. As an NBA coach, you have to be able to scheme a play that doesn't end in 'Jeffries in the post'.

Lol...Dude, we know Jeffries sucks on offense, but it was key that he was in. If you haven't noticed, he's gotten more offensive rebounds that any player on either team in this series. If Melo or someone else took a shot or missed, you need Jeffries to rebound for another look at it. Plus, like I've stated he just came up big for you and was having a tremendous game on both ends of the floor.

The game would've been totally different if we had our normal lineup out there, but we didn't. No option is going to be great at that point. Douglas was going to be guarded, Melo doubled, Walker was 0-11, Mason Jr. can't make a layup, so gong to Jeffries open 5 ft from the hoop isn't that bad of an option.

The fact is, when you have an NBA player three feet from the rim, with the least amount of defensive attention on him, and your primary option (and, truly, your only option) is doubled 25 feet from the rim, you have to make that pass and cross your fingers.

Or you could develop a competent enough play to get a guy like Douglas open, if you're worried about Melo's double, have him slash to the basket, and then feed it off to an open Jeffries for a jam. You just can't give it to Jared Jeffries in the post, expect him to make a basketball move and put the ball in the basket.

And what you said above is not true, because Kobe would take that shot rather than feed it to an open(ish) Mbenga under the basket :glasses:

I don't even think Jeffries should have been on the court. But it seems as though I'm the minority around here who thinks D'Antoni could have schemed an actual play, rather than 'pass it to Melo and see what happens', so I'll just throw up the deuces and move on to game 3.

If Amar'e Stoudemire and Chauncey Billups are on the court, do you really think the ball goes to Jeffries. C'mon man, Jeffries was wide open, options were limited. If Jeffries sneaks that pass to Walker, we're talking about going to back to MSG 1-1 most likely.

Oh, Jeffries has been awful all year, but 5 ft from the hoop and 6'11", you've got to trust him when he's wide open to at least do something productive. Hell, tbf to the guy, he just made a key layup on the last possession and had a good night.

Lol...Dude, we know Jeffries sucks on offense, but it was key that he was in. If you haven't noticed, he's gotten more offensive rebounds that any player on either team in this series. If Melo or someone else took a shot or missed, you need Jeffries to rebound for another look at it. Plus, like I've stated he just came up big for you and was having a tremendous game on both ends of the floor.

The game would've been totally different if we had our normal lineup out there, but we didn't. No option is going to be great at that point. Douglas was going to be guarded, Melo doubled, Walker was 0-11, Mason Jr. can't make a layup, so gong to Jeffries open 5 ft from the hoop isn't that bad of an option.

I hope it wouldn't in part 1, lol. He shouldn't even be on the floor. What you said is true, but do you trust Jeffries on offense with anything? Honestly.. he can't even catch passes 75% of the time.

Part 2, that's the problem.. we know from experience that 5 ft from the hoop and 6'11 that you can't trust him to be productive. He made a key layup, and I fell out of my chair in surprise. You did too, don't deny it :lol:

Part 3.. he played a tremendous game and is a great offensive rebounder. You right. He should have been in there. Just not with the ball going through him.

Douglas off a screen, Walker slashing (even at 0-11), Mason spotting up and open.. I'd take any of those 7 days a week over Jeffries on the block. But my bitching does nothing at this point.

Deuces for real now, going to go drink or smoke or do something to chill out, these first two games have my blood pressure through the roof. On to game 3, let's get it at home.

Anthony then stopped chasing Delonte West when the Knicks needed to foul, citing fatigue

This guy is the most discreet me, myself, and I player in the L.

Smiled after the L too. Where was the smile in Game 1? None, cuz he had a bad game. Game 2: 42pts, 17rebds > smiled cuz he had a great game, but nvm the Knicks lost again.

My Melo moment was Game 1 3rd quarter, when he drove and his shot was swatted by Jermaine. All Knicks (except Melo of course) ran back for defense. Jermaine with all bad knees of his ran, caught a pass, and scored. Melo was still on the other end's paint! Did not even cross frickin half court for defense :lol:

This guy kept saying the sweet things fans want to hear such as winning is all he cares about but his actions keep suggesting he only cares about himself. AI taught him well in Denver.

Glad he's gone, that's Melo for you, Knick fans.

Guys, KG made a defensive mistake on that play that saved the game for Boston. The play isn't designed for Jeffries. The Knicks are expecting KG to rotate and be right behind Jeffries on his left hip. The play was for Walker cutting behind KG who was WIDE OPEN.

KG was late covering Jeffries. He's almost never late on a rotation but he was late on the final play.

Jeffries assumed KG was going to make that rotation, be right behind him closer to his left hip than he was, and looked immediately to pass. If KG makes his rotation properly, he's closer to Jeffries giving Jeffries more space for a wraparound. If KG's mistake doesn't put him on Jeffries' right hip instead of right behind him, which gave him a good angle to deflect the pass, the play probably goes for a dunk and D'Antoni looks like a genius.

Have guys curling off screens at the top of the key and flashing to the basket, to give Melo some options when he has the ball? Double screen to give Melo room to breathe? Take out Jared Jeffries and throw Shawne Williams in there, so you have a guy who can catch and pass the ball? Any(every)thing other than feeding Jared Jeffries in the post?

Shawne Williams is a horrendous passer, easily the worst of the Knicks' regulars. Using Jeffries as a passer (JJ wasn't a scoring option on that play. Watch it develop. The Knicks generated a wide open dunk for Walker had Garnett not been a second late rotating to Jeffries.

The more I watch the play, the more I realize that D'Antoni is a wizard.

Here's a link to the play.

http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/04/20/examining-the-knicks-final-possession/

I hope it wouldn't in part 1, lol. He shouldn't even be on the floor. What you said is true, but do you trust Jeffries on offense with anything? Honestly.. he can't even catch passes 75% of the time.

Part 2, that's the problem.. we know from experience that 5 ft from the hoop and 6'11 that you can't trust him to be productive. He made a key layup, and I fell out of my chair in surprise. You did too, don't deny it :lol:

Part 3.. he played a tremendous game and is a great offensive rebounder. You right. He should have been in there. Just not with the ball going through him.

Douglas off a screen, Walker slashing (even at 0-11), Mason spotting up and open.. I'd take any of those 7 days a week over Jeffries on the block. But my bitching does nothing at this point.

Deuces for real now, going to go drink or smoke or do something to chill out, these first two games have my blood pressure through the roof. On to game 3, let's get it at home.

Nah you raise some good points dude, for sure. I understand your frustration. Jeffries is certainly not the guy I want with the ball (pretty much ever)...but if you watch the play again, you HAVE to be able to trust Jeffries to make a good pass. It was just unlucky Garnett had his hand in there at the right time man.

And oh yeah, I went NUTS when Jeffries made that layup. My dad and I were in SHOCK for 5 minutes after that.

This guy is the most discreet me, myself, and I player in the L.

Smiled after the L too. Where was the smile in Game 1? None, cuz he had a bad game. Game 2: 42pts, 17rebds > smiled cuz he had a great game, but nvm the Knicks lost again.

My Melo moment was Game 1 3rd quarter, when he drove and his shot was swatted by Jermaine. All Knicks (except Melo of course) ran back for defense. Jermaine with all bad knees of his ran, caught a pass, and scored. Melo was still on the other end's paint! Did not even cross frickin half court for defense :lol:

This guy kept saying the sweet things fans want to hear such as winning is all he cares about but his actions keep suggesting he only cares about himself. AI taught him well in Denver.

Glad he's gone, that's Melo for you, Knick fans.

Idk what you're talking about. Denver simply lost their last playoff game because they didn't have anyone to go to down the stretch to take the big shot.

Without Melo, we would've lost by 20 last night easily...Melo put his heart & soul into that game. I wasn't sure about the trade, but last night solidified for me how hard Melo plays and wants to win. 42 & 17 & 6 dude are you serious? That's just as good as Jordan would've been.

For those of you who've seen the Greg Jennings Madden video, "That's puttin da team on your back doe 101"

Guys, KG made a defensive mistake on that play that saved the game for Boston. The play isn't designed for Jeffries. The Knicks are expecting KG to rotate and be right behind Jeffries on his left hip. The play was for Walker cutting behind KG who was WIDE OPEN.

KG was late covering Jeffries. He's almost never late on a rotation but he was late on the final play.

Jeffries assumed KG was going to make that rotation, be right behind him closer to his left hip than he was, and looked immediately to pass. If KG makes his rotation properly, he's closer to Jeffries giving Jeffries more space for a wraparound. If KG's mistake doesn't put him on Jeffries' right hip instead of right behind him, which gave him a good angle to deflect the pass, the play probably goes for a dunk and D'Antoni looks like a genius.

This is a great post. Exactly what I'm saying. KG didn't even make that great of a play, his hand just happened to be stuck in the exact place Jeffries was trying to pass to. If Jeffries somehow sneaks the ball in, the Knicks win!

Shawne Williams is a horrendous passer, easily the worst of the Knicks' regulars. Using Jeffries as a passer (JJ wasn't a scoring option on that play. Watch it develop. The Knicks generated a wide open dunk for Walker had Garnett not been a second late rotating to Jeffries.

The more I watch the play, the more I realize that D'Antoni is a wizard.

Here's a link to the play.

http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/04/20/examining-the-knicks-final-possession/

D'Antoni seems good at drawing up plays at the end, but I wouldn't call him a wizard. Lol. I still like the play and would take that play 9/10. 9/10 Garnett is not deflecting that ball and Walker's able to get the dunk.

CRAP! I thought the Knicks would win this one when they made this huge run and had a 2 point lead in the 4th quarter but KG helped the Celtics get back into the game. CRAP! 2-0 for the C's now! Anthony finished with 42 and 17 rebounds and still managed to lose one. I knew Rondo would have a huge game since Toney's defense is TERRIBLE

Boston's rebounding is horrid and Glen Davis cannot defend to save his life.

I don't think I've ever seen a player dominate a game against Boston since the big three arrived the way Melo did last night. His performance was unbelievable.

Rondo had a terrific game, but he simply took advantage of Toney Douglas backing off of him to prevent himself from picking up that 2nd foul. It's a tough spot to be in, and having no one to play help defense didn't help his case either.

Idk what you're talking about. Denver simply lost their last playoff game because they didn't have anyone to go to down the stretch to take the big shot.

Without Melo, we would've lost by 20 last night easily...Melo put his heart & soul into that game. I wasn't sure about the trade, but last night solidified for me how hard Melo plays and wants to win. 42 & 17 & 6 dude are you serious? That's just as good as Jordan would've been.

For those of you who've seen the Greg Jennings Madden video, "That's puttin da team on your back doe 101"

Dude we lost the first game because of a frickin obvious goaltend that was not called and completely shocked our team and halted our momentum. We had a 1 pt lead and Thunder missed 8 of their last 9 shots before the goaltend that was not called. A goaltend would have boost us.

Anyone with the ball in their hands can "play hard"... take the ball away from him and he's essentially a lazy diva who is fatter than he looks.

Anyone with the ball in their hands can "play hard"... take the ball away from him and he's essentially a lazy diva who is fatter than he looks.

Yup, 17 rebounds against one of the best defensive and better rebounding teams is nothing. Not to mention the great defensive work he's done on Pierce in both games so far limiting him very effectively.

Now you're just starting to sound bitter that you guys lost the face of your franchise of the past 7 seasons...

Edited by JYD