2011 New York Giants

I'm talking myself more and more into believing the team will be alright. Osi will be back around week 3, Prince around week 5. I think that a Webster/Ross/Prince corner trio is more than enough, especially with the versatility over top of the extra safety with Deon Grant.

I think the team looks into signing a veteran MLB next week, when contracts aren't guaranteed. Probably a Kawika Mitchell type. Haven't heard much at all about Lofa Tatupu, which makes me believe that those knees are still problematic.

I'm talking myself more and more into believing the team will be alright. Osi will be back around week 3, Prince around week 5. I think that a Webster/Ross/Prince corner trio is more than enough, especially with the versatility over top of the extra safety with Deon Grant.

I think the team looks into signing a veteran MLB next week, when contracts aren't guaranteed. Probably a Kawika Mitchell type. Haven't heard much at all about Lofa Tatupu, which makes me believe that those knees are still problematic.

Good luck, I had sort of the same thing to go through when the Cowboys had their rough injuries patches and trust me, it didn't work out for us. I too, talked myself into believing we'd be alright. However, timetables change, other people get injured, you fall into early holes in the season and just next climb out. However, good luck, we've had major depth issues, Giants seem to pull players out of the vendors and turn them into starters.

I hadn't looked at the Giants schedule before today, and all I can say is good luck. The Giants are a good team, and the games are played on the field, but that schedule looks rough.

The first few weeks are no walk in the park. Playing in Washington could be tough, and I think the Rams are going to be a pretty damn good team. The Giants need to take advantage of week 4-8 because after that, on paper, it looks to be an absolutely brutal stretch of games.

It sucks that the Giants have to play at New England, New Orleans, and New York (maybe not a big deal), and those are some of their toughest out of division games.

I'm not even going to venture to guess what the Giants finish. I can honestly see a six win season, but I can also see a ten win season. Injuries suck, and hopefully they don't hurt the Giants too much.

Torn ACL for Hixon, jeez this is crazy...good luck with Victor Cruz and Stokely!

Nicks and Manningham are still a great top 2, and Cruz looked ok in the second half the other day. Have to imagine that Housh would get another call if he showed anything at all in his workout.

Still, crushing blow. Great teammate, hard worker, and a 2nd straight tear for him. Did it on the crazy TD catch, too, which never happens if Manningham makes a clean catch a few plays earlier. Who returns punts now, Jernigan? Uh oh.

Unlucky season is unlucky. I hope Barden is ready to contribute as soon as he gets off the PuP!

• 2 weeks later...

Giants sign Brandon Stokley. Nice addition, especially if he can be that reliable slot receiver that Eli misses so badly.

Just kidding, Stokley released with an injury settlement. Guess they have full confidence in Cruz after his big weeks.

Just can't say enough about this team so far. 4-2 entering the bye week that was so badly needed, and that's with a game that was thrown away against Seattle. Missing key players all over the field, the guys have just battled and played where and how they needed to play in order to get some W's.

Eli has been fantastic, though the numbers don't do justice to just how well he's played. A Cruz handed INT and a garbage time tipped INT against Seattle skew the totals, as well as a few dropped/overturned TD passes this week against Buffalo. All of that considered, he has a QB Rating north of 100 and is on track for 4,741 yards and a 29/13 TD/INT total. Just as he did last year for stretches when the team was struggling, he's carried that offense with great efficiency.

The offensive line transition has been a work in progress, but has been successful so far. A few injuries have forced backup guards at center and those types of shitty situations, but guys have generally held their own when asked (see: Boothe, Kevin against Buffalo). I think Beatty has been improving steadily at left tackle and seems to be a guy who'll be a mainstay for years. I like Baas a lot at center, as generally if he can get his hands on someone, the block is made with ferocity.

Defensive line! Tuck has been hurt, Osi has been hurt, and the pressure is still there. Jason Pierre-Paul is morphing into an all-pro before our eyes. 7.5 sacks through 6 games for the sophomore, with Osi stepping up after his return and knotting 5 sacks with 2 FF. Even Tollefson has been lights out, 3 sacks and 2 FF in limited action. Linval Joseph has been solid against the run, and Canty and Bernard have been fine at the other tackle position.

Biggest surprise? Linebacker play. Boley has finally looked like the guy we spent our money for, and Jacquian Williams has come out of nowhere to become a starter and the 4th leading tackler on the club. He's got great speed and it allows him to be great in coverage as well as rushing the QB. Once a 6th round pick afterthought, the guy has become a very important part of this defense. Great to see. Good job by Reese.

Just can't wait to see what this team can do after the bye. We'll see the return of Justin Tuck, Chris Snee, Prince Amukamara, Henry Hynoski, Adam Koets (backup C and swing G), and Ramses Barden. Hopefully we can see some extended health and success moving forward!

• 3 weeks later...