NFL Free Agency Thread

Boston Fever

I'm not too great at evaluating offensive-linemen, but I wish the 49er's retained him, especially with two young offensive linemen in Davis and Iupati.

This should give you a feeling of how 49er's fans feel about him leaving.....not too happy.

http://forums.49ers.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=116551&highlight=david+baas

Thanks.. hard to gauge on a home team forum, as you have the spiteful naysaysers and the homer spindoctors, but it seems like he was a solid player last year. I'll have to keep an eye on him in camp :)

Thanks.. hard to gauge on a home team forum, as you have the spiteful naysaysers and the homer spindoctors, but it seems like he was a solid player last year. I'll have to keep an eye on him in camp :)

You'll probably find a lot of honest answers there, unless you are arguing about Alex Smith. 49er's fans just want to win, so in general, if they say someone is good, they probably are, and if they say they suck, they probably suck because 49er's fans know what suckiness looks like.

I wasnt comparing certainly aspects of the 2001 Ravens defense to the current Jets, they are just as talented collectively imo. On an individual basis one can argue that they have just as many impact players as the 2001 Ravens. Revis is as talented as they come, NA is second to Revis at the postion, Bart Scott is a smaller version of Ray Lewis as far as leadership and toughness is concerned, David Harris is a intelligent player. And plus Rex Ryan is a genius as maximizing potential for every guy on the field. And as far as stoping the run they were top 3 in the league last year, so I don't know where you are going with that. Having two shut down corners changes a whole lot, they'll have the luxury of focusing their attention elsewhere, opposing TE's for example. With Cromartie they just couldnt do that last year.

What I'm trying to say is they are not as talented. The Ravens seconadary was almost just as talented. The Ravens had a better linebacking core including one of the greatest defensive players in his prime. Harris and Scott together probably = Ray Ray lol and btw Harris > Scott, Scott is good not great he just runs his mouth and gets dumb penalties. But then we get to to D-line and the Ravens was far better. Basically in the end.

Jets Secondary > Ravens secondary (barely)

Ravens Front 7 >>> Jets Front 7

Jets D is great but not historically great it's still got holes.

In terms of stopping the run I watched the Jets all season and it always appeared when they went up against teams who could rush the ball the struggled big time.

Let's look at playoffs

Colts - bad rushing team - 93 yards

Patriots - solid rushing team - 113 yards

Steelers - solid rushing team - 163 yards

Jets good at stopping run but only because they blitz so hard against it against and stop pass, strategy doesn't work against great offenses for the most part because they find ways to beat that blitz.

But no doubt Jets get Aso, gotta shut down their offense like Ravens did back week 2? To beat them, only way it's gonna happen.

Damn, the front three of the Patriots will be nasty IF Haynesworth can return to form, which I believe he can, and will do.

Hayneswortht- Wilfork- Warren

That is just scary as hell.

After all his issues of fitting into a 3-4 and that ridiculous contract you are excited about this deal? :huh: Optimism at it's finest.

After all his issues of fitting into a 3-4 and that ridiculous contract you are excited about this deal? :huh: Optimism at it's finest.

Not knowing the entire situation at its finest.

First off, the Patriots gave up a 5th round pick, and have to pay VERY LITTLE as the Redskins are paying for a lot already, and his big 20+ mil option in three years, the Patriots can just not accept. He can play in the 3-4, nickle, 4-3, or where ever BB wants him to play. His "problem" was that he didn't want to play NT in the 3-4, which he won't need to do in New England.

I smell jealousy, and you reek.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

michaelombardi

Hearing Houston has moved into the lead for Nnamdi Asomugha—money will be in the 12-14 mill per year range...Revis makes 11.5 per year

OMG

Not knowing the entire situation at its finest.

First off, the Patriots gave up a 5th round pick, and have to pay VERY LITTLE as the Redskins are paying for a lot already, and his big 20+ mil option in three years, the Patriots can just not accept. He can play in the 3-4, nickle, 4-3, or where ever BB wants him to play. His "problem" was that he didn't want to play NT in the 3-4, which he won't need to do in New England.

I smell jealousy, and you reek.

Lol he had far more problems then just not wanting to play NT, aparently you don't follow football outside of SF and Boston. Very little? The Patriots will be paying him about 50 million in 4 years if he lasts that long, big risk for a 30 year old in the NFL who hardly played at all last year and I doubt has been working out hard lately. Trust me I am not jealous, Cowboys need our cap can't go wasting it on guys like this. If he overcomes it, good trade, if not lol.

I didn't know the 'entire' Randy Moss situation either :lol:

But Deion Branch is so good!

Lol he had far more problems then just not wanting to play NT, aparently you don't follow football outside of SF and Boston. Very little? The Patriots will be paying him about 50 million in 4 years if he lasts that long, big risk for a 30 year old in the NFL who hardly played at all last year and I doubt has been working out hard lately. Trust me I am not jealous, Cowboys need our cap can't go wasting it on guys like this. If he overcomes it, good trade, if not lol.

I didn't know the 'entire' Randy Moss situation either :lol:

But Deion Branch is so good!

Again, you are COMPLETELY wrong. They will NOT be paying him 50 mil because they won't give him the option for the 3rd year. They are basically paying him peanuts as the Redskins paid him the majority of his contract.

Is there the possibility that he doesn't turn out the be very good? Yes, there certainly is. However, seeing what happened with Dillon and Moss, I'd place money on him being great instead of a disappointment.

Now, for what it's worth, Matthew Lombardi said Haynesworth is in great shape, and he expects him to be amazing this year. He was right about Moss as well when he came to New England.

Anything can happen, but there is reason to be optimistic about this trade. It's pretty much a risk free trade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFzp3uHua40

Albert Haynesworth is completely useless not in the 4-3. He's a lazy, unmotivated player in the 3-4. Everyone is in "great shape" these days. The only reason anyone cares is because everyone suckles BB's nuts becausehe saved Randy Moss from Oakland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFzp3uHua40

Albert Haynesworth is completely useless not in the 4-3. He's a lazy, unmotivated player in the 3-4. Everyone is in "great shape" these days. The only reason anyone cares is because everyone suckles BB's nuts becausehe saved Randy Moss from Oakland.

Good thing the Patriots don't always run the 3-4. I was reading a statistic earlier that said they run different formations 60% of the time.

Also, why shouldn't BB get praise when he fleeced the Raiders twice, got Corey Dillon, and got Haynesworth for a 5th round pick? As usual, he's playing Chess and every other team is playing checkers.

I'll take Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, and Albert Haynesworth up front. That could be a formidable defensive-line.

Also, it didn't have to do with him not wanting to play the 3-4. It had to do with him playing NT in the 3-4, and Shannahan being a douche-bag, just like Albert was as well.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

I don't see the problem, it's a ridiculously low risk, high reward move. Paid little for a guy who has the ability to absolutely dominate, even if he doesn't utilize it most of the time (soooo lazy). These years of his contract pay little before the option, so money isn't an issue either. Nice pickup.

He can make up to 7 million this year, don't see how that's 'little', it's not a bad deal, just don't see why anybody would get excited about picking up this guy.

Btw Corey Dillon had 1 good season, I don't see how this is such an amazing move. That's just me I guess.

Got Randy Moss off a fluke, everyone knew it was a steal at the time.

BB sure was playing chess when he went ahead and dropped Moss last season huh?

The only chess he plays is with cameras in the stands get of your knees ECN...

Edited by fish7718

He can make up to 7 million this year, don't see how that's 'little', it's not a bad deal, just don't see why anybody would get excited about picking up this guy.

You're right. I don't know why anyone would be excited about getting a player two years removed from winning DPOTY who is coming to a team that helped resurrect the careers of Randy Moss and Corey Dillon. A team that had a defense that struggled last year, especially at creating pressure. Oh, and they gave up a whopping 5th round pick..

It's not guarantee that he will do well, but I love the chances of him dominating, especially at the price he is costing.

Will you be sure to bump this thread if Albert dominates this year, alright?

Edited by EastCoastNiner

You're right. I don't know why anyone would be excited about getting a player two years removed from winning DPOTY who is coming to a team that helped resurrect the careers of Randy Moss and Corey Dillon. A team that had a defense that struggled last year, especially at creating pressure. Oh, and they gave up a whopping 5th round pick..

It's not guarantee that he will do well, but I love the chances of him dominating, especially at the price he is costing.

I already said if he does good it's a good trade, lol. Which yes is pointing out the obvious. James Harrison is 1 year removed from winning DPOTY and you destroyed him in another thread. Bob Sanders won it what happen to him? Jason Taylor I believe got it before him, what happen to him? The average career span in the NFL is well documented when players take seasons off like Albert did last year they never seem to regain it.

Lol at resurrecting Corey Dillon smh, dude had 1 year that is by no means a resurrection. Oh and good job, you picked up one of the greatest receivers of all time and paired him with one of the greatest QB's of all time and it worked out, I'm shocked.

And I'll be sure to bump your Patriots and 49ers thread when the 49ers lose the division to the Rams or Seahawks and Brady chokes in the playoffs again because he's damaged goods, alright?

• Like 2

And I'll be sure to bump your Patriots and 49ers thread when the 49ers lose the division to the Rams or Seahawks and Brady chokes in the playoffs again because he's damaged goods, alright?

You do this all the time when you try and act like you know what you're talking about, but you really don't. It's quite comical. I gave a response, and you had no legitimate response to it, so you post this.

What do the 49er's have to do with Haynesworth again? That was a poor troll attempt with Brady as well.

I already said if he does good it's a good trade, lol. Which yes is pointing out the obvious. James Harrison is 1 year removed from winning DPOTY and you destroyed him in another thread. Bob Sanders won it what happen to him? Jason Taylor I believe got it before him, what happen to him? The average career span in the NFL is well documented when players take seasons off like Albert did last year they never seem to regain it.

Lol at resurrecting Corey Dillon smh, dude had 1 year that is by no means a resurrection. Oh and good job, you picked up one of the greatest receivers of all time and paired him with one of the greatest QB's of all time and it worked out, I'm shocked.

I never ripped Harrison as a player. Albert Hayenesworth has his issues, but as a player, I believe in him. James Harrison is a good player, but he's a moron.

Cardinals acquired QB Kevin Kolb from the Eagles in exchange for CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a 2012 second-round pick.

Kolb will land a five-year, $63.5 million contract with $21.5 million guaranteed to take over as Arizona's much-needed franchise QB.