General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

• 2 weeks later...

According to LeBrun, the Winter Classic is officially cancelled. There goes whatever motivation the NHL had left to save the season...

From everything I've been hearing and reading recently, it's the shit teams that are messing everything up.

Some of those teams are the Ducks, Blue Jackets, Coyotes, Stars, Panthers, and a few other teams. They aren't letting some of the big team owners into certain meetings.

SO DUMB!

From everything I've been hearing and reading recently, it's the shit teams that are messing everything up.

Some of those teams are the Ducks, Blue Jackets, Coyotes, Stars, Panthers, and a few other teams. They aren't letting some of the big team owners into certain meetings.

SO DUMB!

I think its all the teams, and all the players. Both sides are (seem) being incredibly stubborn, and they aren't as far apart as they seem. The fact the owners REFUSE to honour the contracts they signed is ridiculous. A 50-50 split with no escrow the first 2 years seems fair to me.

I think its all the teams, and all the players. Both sides are (seem) being incredibly stubborn, and they aren't as far apart as they seem. The fact the owners REFUSE to honour the contracts they signed is ridiculous. A 50-50 split with no escrow the first 2 years seems fair to me.

I was hearing today and yesterday that it's come out that Mike Ilitch hasn't even been allowed in meetings by these crappy ass teams because they don't want him there and other big team owners. It's the expansion and shit team that are making everything difficult.

Progress made in NHL talks

No details emerge from meetings in New York, but sides will meet again Wednesday.

Seven hours of meetings between representatives of the NHL and the NHL Players' Assn. on Tuesday in New York produced at least one key agreement: that they had enough reason to reconvene Wednesday to continue exploring resolutions to the labor dispute that has wiped out more than a quarter of the schedule.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nhl-labor-20121107,0,1837062.story

As NHL Talks Continue, NBA Could Aid in Solution

"The NHLPA and the NHL met today to discuss many of the key issues,” Donald Fehr, the union’s executive director, said in a brief statement released Wednesday night. “We look forward to resuming talks tomorrow.”

Negotiations began around 3:30 PM and continued until about 9 PM. They followed a Tuesday bargaining session that lasted about seven hours. Fehr and Commissioner Gary Bettman headed the delegations on each side. The league did not release a statement. The main obstacle between the two sides was how to honor existing player contracts when the players’ share of the league’s revenue drops from 57 % to 50 %. The NBA lockout of 2011 may provide a clue as to how that obstacle may be overcome.

“Everyone wants to compare,” Sidney Crosby told reporters in Pittsburgh before departing for New York to attend Tuesday’s bargaining session. “It does have some resemblance.” When the NBA lockout was settled a little less than a year ago, the league’s owners honored existing player contracts. The language in the new collective bargaining agreement guaranteed that salaries signed previously “shall continue to be calculated in accordance with the salary cap rules that were in existence at the time the contract was entered into.”

That is the language the NHL PA wants in a new agreement with the league. The owners went on a signing binge in the weeks before the lockout, including the Minnesota Wild’s signing of Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to twin 13-year, $98 million deals. The players want such deals honored in full.

The NY Times

Edited by Sħãlïq

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the NHL is losing sponsorship deals now. The value of the NHL has also gone down 25% since the lockout started. What a [expletive]ing disgrace this is right now. They spend the past 8 years trying to rebuild after the last lockout, and when they finally start making good money, they piss it all away with this stupid shit. Its not all Bettman and the owners either. The players are a lot to blame. And the comments a lot of them are making about Bettman being "stupid" and "a cancer" are not helping matters at all. They're even wearing hats that say "Puck Gary". They need to grow the [expletive] up. I'm so pissed off with the whole situation its unbelievable.

This whole situation is so [expletive]ed up. I'd love to sit here and say I won't be as big a fan, but I doubt it'll happen. One thing is for sure though, I was definitely a Leafs fan first last year, and maybe that had something to do with the fact the Leafs were decent and the Raps were bordering on unwatchable, but I am definitely going to be a bigger Raps fan than Leafs (like I was for most of the past 7 years or so), and the team is still pretty brutal as long as Bargnani is there.

This whole thing is ridiculous. It is insane how close they seem, but how far apart they act. Both sides are so stubborn it seems, and the owners know the fans will come back. I really do think this lockout is going to affect the league more than the owners think though. I do think sponsors will be affected (who the [expletive] wants to pay premiums when the league stops every 5-10 years), and I feel like growth will be affected long term, maybe not in the near future, but I doubt we see the 5% growth like we were the past few years.

It's just really frustrating as a fan. This shouldn't have come to this. Players should have conceded the 50-50 right away, owners have to honour those contracts, they have to. Its so ignorant for them to try and weasel their way out of them. Players have to concede contract term limits, every other league has them. The solution is right in front of their faces, but I feel like both sides are too arrogant and too stubborn to get there.

The good thing is that the Leafs are going to sign Getzy and Perry in the summer, so this season was kind of a throw away anyways.

Edited by Check my Stats

I hate to admit it, but I'll still probably choose Leafs over Raptors once the lockout is over. The Leafs are just a bigger part of me. I grew up a Leafs fan and have been one since I was a toddler. The fact that I only just recently became a diehard Raptors fan makes it hard for me to choose them over my Leafs, even though they frustrate me so much. This lockout is making me depressed to be honest, and watching the Raptors [expletive]ing suck and the Giants play like shit is not helping matters. I would give up watching basketball and football for the year if it meant I got the Leafs back.

I enjoy hockey more than any sport other than baseball, so I will be back. As will 99% of fans of big market teams, with the exception possibly being pissed off season ticket holders who lost money this year. But I know the Flyers pretty much have a season ticket waiting list, as do most popular teams I think. So no loss there. And small market fans don't really exist to begin with. So nothing is going to change, and Bettman knows it. Which is probably why he has no problem dragging this out.

:'( .....

I was maybe going to try getting into some random European team and watch the games online or something, but I don't see myself doing that. And with the Raptors being a joke and the Giants season being over fairly soon, lifes going to suck.

ECN...thoughts on WBZ Sports?

Well, the 98.5 "The Sports Hub", which is definitely Boston's most popular sports radio station is under WBZ CBS, so I think it may have some credence. However, Steve Burton is more just a pre game reporter and post-game reporter, and I've never really seen him follow the NHL much, so I'm not sure.

Hopefully he is correct though, although this season just won't feel the same.

Progress?

Iain MacIntyre ‏@imacVanSun

Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos says some coaches are calling players to tell them to be ready for imminent return. #CBA

I will remain skeptical until I see a signed CBA, but this is easily the best sign we've had so far.

@MattBarnaby3636

Just got a text from owners side that his guess is season starts on dec 26th.

@TheNYRBlog

A trustd source of mine close to Rangers has informed me the team has called its playrs back from Europe. Wonder if that includes Del Zotto?

@tpanotchCSN

confirmed: BOG talked of 50/60 games; leaning < 60 ... guvs "feeling very positive." Another good sign: no 'drop dead' date was discussed