General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

Is there a team with less of a direction than the Flames?

They trade Phaneuf because of his contract after signing Bouwmeester to a huge deal not long before.

They trade Regher to open more ice for Girodano and to get younger.

Now today they trade for Wideman's rights and sign him to a 5 year, $5.25M per deal.

Seriously, does anybody, Flames management included, even know what they are doing right now? That team is even copying the exact blueprint for mediocrity that the Leafs laid out after the lockout.

I've been saying the same thing for awhile now! The Flames are the Leafs of 5 years ago. They are not good enough to make the playoffs, but they aren't bad enough to get a decent draft pick. And with their draft picks, they make stupid picks. This years first round pick, was one of the dumbest picks I've seen a team make in awhile imo. They also have many aging veterans, but won't trade them, and will just continue to trade their young assets for aging veterans who don't get them anywhere. They've been riding the 9th-11th range in their conference for the past two seasons, and they might do it for another two seasons the way they're going now.

Quick signs a 10 year, $58M extension with the Kings (will kick in next year).

Schnieder signs a 3 year, $12M extension with the Canucks, which should be the beginning of a Luongo to Florida trade.

Rask signs a 1 year, $3.5M deal with the Bruins.

Crosby signs a 12 year, $104.4M extension with the Pens. Yes, that is an $8.7M cap hit.

Price is expected to sign an extension with the Habs soon. Speculation is a shorter term than Quick, but a higher annual cap hit (McKenzie guessed around 6 years with a $6.25M cap hit).

The salary cap is expected to be around $70M this upcoming season, which is up from the $64M it was this past season.

Quick signs a 10 year, $58M extension with the Kings (will kick in next year).

Schnieder signs a 3 year, $12M extension with the Canucks, which should be the beginning of a Luongo to Florida trade.

Rask signs a 1 year, $3.5M deal with the Bruins.

Crosby signs a 12 year, $104.4M extension with the Pens. Yes, that is an $8.7M cap hit.

Price is expected to sign an extension with the Habs soon. Speculation is a shorter term than Quick, but a higher annual cap hit (McKenzie guessed around 6 years with a $6.25M cap hit).

The salary cap is expected to be around $70M this upcoming season, which is up from the $64M it was this past season.

That number will probably change with the new CBA though.

Schultz signs a 2 year deal with the Oilers.

Can't say I'm surprised since I had them 2nd on my list. I thought he would go to Vancouver, but I guess the guarantee of top 3 minutes (only Smid and Petry would be his competition opposed to Hamhuis, Bieksa and Edler in Van) and 1st unit PP time was more important to him than playing close to his home and the chance of competing for a cup immediately.

Shit I really thought that having his good buddy Jake Gardiner might be enough to bring him to Toronto. Oh well, we really don't need him on the team, it would just be nice to get a top prospect of his talent for nothing. I feel really bad for Anaheim that they had to lose him.

Jagr to Dallas for $4.5 (!!!!) million.

I understand Jagr has already got the rings but you think he might have some interest in winning another rather than the money. Russians take a completely different approach than North American skaters (not all but most).

I understand Jagr has already got the rings but you think he might have some interest in winning another rather than the money. Russians take a completely different approach than North American skaters (not all but most).

1. If he was all about the money he would not have come back to the NHL.

2. He's not Russian.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

1. If he was all about the money he would not have come back to the NHL.

2. He's not Russian.

Clearly it has something to do with money considering what a great season he had in Philly and I consider him "Russian" do the the fact he's bolted once for the KHL. If Radulov can get $10 million a season there, Jagr could get at least $25 mil but nothing beats NHL hockey.

The NorthEast is going to be a physical ass division this year, which really suits the Bruins. There are going to be a LOT of fights as well.

You have the tough guys like Lucic, Chara, McQuaid, Thornton, Neil, McCormick, Kaleta, Rosehill, Moen, etc., and then you have the little agitators like Marchand and Ott that re just going to stir the pot. :lol: .

The NorthEast is going to be a physical ass division this year, which really suits the Bruins. There are going to be a LOT of fights as well.

You have the tough guys like Lucic, Chara, McQuaid, Thornton, Neil, McCormick, Kaleta, Rosehill, Moen, etc., and then you have the little agitators like Marchand and Ott that re just going to stir the pot. :lol: .

I'm a little worried that the Leafs are just going to be getting bulied going into next season if we don't add soem toughness to the team. Orr is pretty much an AHLer now, and with Luke Schenn and Colby Armstrong gone, our group looks like a bunch of pussies compared to pretty much every team in the NE. JVR doesn't add any toughness, hes just big. Its mostly just Rosehill to go up against the heavy weights, and Mike Brown to mess with the Marchand types.

Wow. I seem to remember Eklund being the one who first said a little while back that he thought the Wild had a very good chance at getting both of them. I guess he gets lucky and some of the shit he says turns out being right sometimes.

I'm a little worried that the Leafs are just going to be getting bulied going into next season if we don't add soem toughness to the team. Orr is pretty much an AHLer now, and with Luke Schenn and Colby Armstrong gone, our group looks like a bunch of pussies compared to pretty much every team in the NE. JVR doesn't add any toughness, hes just big. Its mostly just Rosehill to go up against the heavy weights, and Mike Brown to mess with the Marchand types.

Burke was on the the 590 yesterday, and said the team today is not the team that will be going into camp. He knows we need to get bigger, and more changes will be made. Not saying we will be looking like the Bruins anytime soon, but I don't think we will be coming in with this roster as it stands, but if we do, I agree, we will continue to get pummeled by the Bruins... actually that will probably happen anyways.

Also that's crazy that Parise and Suter both went to the wild. Its going to be interesting to see how Suter fares without having Weber by his side. Everyone says he hid a lot of Weber's deficiencies, so it is going to be interesting both ways I guess. Crazy contracts though, 7.5M a year for those guys is steep, especially when the cap drops as expected. Wild still have work to do though, if they think that roster as it stands is a contender, well they are [expletive]in crazy.

Its pretty crazy that Parise turned down Pitt for Minnesota though. I get why, but still, crazy. Pittsburgh's top 6 would have been nuts. They'll have a lot of cap again next summer though, and there are a lot of nice FA's lined up, so we'll see I guess.

Edited by Check my Stats

• 2 weeks later...