General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

Any chance we could get a mod to unstick the other one and stick this one?

I figured it was about time to make this. Rookie camps/tournaments started the past week and Training Camps are going to be gettng underway this weekend for most teams. The preseason is right around the corner as well, as I know Vancouver has a preseason game on Tuesday.

Anyways, some news from today as the many Newport Sports clients finally signed contracts.

Bruins re-signed Brad Marchand to a 2 year, $5M deal ($2M this year, $3M next).

Jets re-signed Zach Bogosion to a 2 year, $5M deal ($2M this year, $3M next).

Islanders signed John Tavares to a 6 year, $33M extension.

Sabres are close to a long term extension with Tyler Myers rumored to be for 7 years with an annual cap hit of $5.5M or so.

Leafs have reportedly agreed to a deal with Luke Schenn but it won't be announced until Friday (according to Nick Kyperos).

Still no news on Drew Doughty's contract, though.

That Tavares deal is probably going to be a huge steal I think. Myers probably will be too, if he can regain form and continue to improve. Sounds like Schenn is going to be getting around the 3-4 range, which I am fine with as I am a huge fan of his. Just sucks we couldn't get him locked up long term, but as long as we keep him out of RFA with this contract that is fine by me.

With likely no NBA season, and the minor moves the Leafs have made along with their late push last year, I am more excited for this year than I have been in a while. If Reimer is a legit, solid number 1, not anything spectacular but solid, and Connolly can play 65 games or more, and the Kule-Grab-Clarke line continues to be effective, I think we have a legit shot at a low seed playoff berth this year, and as we've seen, once the playoffs start, anything can happen.

Also, here's hoping Nazem has a good TC, get this kid on the God damn roster already, smh. I swear to God if Frattin or someone nabs that 9th forward spot over Nazem I am gonna be pissed. He has nothing left to gain in the AHL (already) and has shown he can contribute at the NHL level, as a winger. We can't hold him down any longer.

But yeah, I think it is safe to say our season lives and dies between the pipes.

Edited by Check my Stats

One of the greatest times on the sports calendar, with the MLB postseason, NHL opening up, and (hopefully) the NBA not far behind.

It literally feels like Christmas, with all of the new toys the Flyers have this year. Can't wait to see them get on the ice. As I may have mentioned, IllWill and I will be going to the Flyers-Rangers preseason game in 12 days. So freaking excited already.

The Myers deal is official and it is what I posted above. 7 years with an annual cap hit of $5.5M.

The Sabres spent A LOT of money on their blueline this season. If Regher plays like the elite shutdown defenseman he can be, Erhoff gives them the puck moving defenseman that they desperate need, Myers continues to develop into a franchise calibre d-man and Marc-Andre Gragnani carries over his excellent play from the post season, the Sabres are going to be very difficult to score on considering Ryan Miller has carried a fairly average d-corps to the playoffs year in and year out basically by himself.

Also, Teemu Selanne decided today that he is going to comeback for "at least one more year". He signed a 1 year, $4M deal with the Ducks.

The Myers deal is official and it is what I posted above. 7 years with an annual cap hit of $5.5M.

The Sabres spent A LOT of money on their blueline this season. If Regher plays like the elite shutdown defenseman he can be, Erhoff gives them the puck moving defenseman that they desperate need, Myers continues to develop into a franchise calibre d-man and Marc-Andre Gragnani carries over his excellent play from the post season, the Sabres are going to be very difficult to score on considering Ryan Miller has carried a fairly average d-corps to the playoffs year in and year out basically by himself.

Also, Teemu Selanne decided today that he is going to comeback for "at least one more year". He signed a 1 year, $4M deal with the Ducks.

The Sabres have become the "sexy" pick for many people this year, but I think they'll do worse than people are thinking. Their top six is soft as hell, and will get pushed around. Also, I've never been a believer in Ryan Miller, except during the Olympics. I don't think he's as good as advertised.

My top three from the East, in no particular order would be:

Boston

Pittsburgh

Washington

I think Pittsburgh is going to be really, really, really good this year, and I think Ovechkin and Semin will tear it up this year as well.

I also like the position that Boston is in as well. They lost very few pieces, being Kaberle, Ryder, and Recchi, all players that fans were tired of for a lot of the season. I am really hoping Seguin can have a huge year, and it's going to be great to watch this team play. They have an excellent top nine, and their 4th line is one of the best as well.

Chara leading the defense, and Timmy and Rask will both be battling for the starting job. It's going to be a very exciting season..

I'm not a huge believer of the Sabres either. They don't have the offense to really compete with the top of the East but they are better than they were last season. I don't think that is debatable.

Basically my view on them is they have elevated from a fringe playoff team or 7/8 seed to being a middle of the pack team who is likely to finish around the 5th or 6th seed.

They aren't better than Washington, Pitt (even without Crosby), Boston or Tampa and are in that middle-tier group with the Rangers and Habs.

The Flyers are wild cards in this as well as I have no idea what the hell they are going to be like this year. It wouldn't surprise me to see them win the division nor would it surprise me if they missed the playoffs.

The only thing I disagree with you is about Ryan Miller (I also think Washington will finish 1st in the East, assuming that list of yours is in order but whatever). I think he is definitely a top 3 goalie in the league but his problem is that he has been on fairly mediocore teams for most of his career, much like Henrik Lundqvist. Both of them are top 3 goalies in the league, top 5 at worst, but some people don't give them the credit that they deserve simply because they don't have the supporting cast that a goalie like Thomas or Luongo have.

I'd put the top goalies in the league something like:

1. Lundqvist

2. Thomas (he would be 1, but I think he is going to take a step back this year)

3. Miller

4. Rinne

5. Price

I've always been a huge Miller fan, though.

I'm not a huge believer of the Sabres either. They don't have the offense to really compete with the top of the East but they are better than they were last season. I don't think that is debatable.

Basically my view on them is they have elevated from a fringe playoff team or 7/8 seed to being a middle of the pack team who is likely to finish around the 5th or 6th seed.

They aren't better than Washington, Pitt (even without Crosby), Boston or Tampa and are in that middle-tier group with the Rangers and Habs.

The Flyers are wild cards in this as well as I have no idea what the hell they are going to be like this year. It wouldn't surprise me to see them win the division nor would it surprise me if they missed the playoffs.

The only thing I disagree with you is about Ryan Miller (I also think Washington will finish 1st in the East, assuming that list of yours is in order but whatever). I think he is definitely a top 3 goalie in the league but his problem is that he has been on fairly mediocore teams for most of his career, much like Henrik Lundqvist. Both of them are top 3 goalies in the league, top 5 at worst, but some people don't give them the credit that they deserve simply because they don't have the supporting cast that a goalie like Thomas or Luongo have.

I'd put the top goalies in the league something like:

1. Lundqvist

2. Thomas (he would be 1, but I think he is going to take a step back this year)

3. Miller

4. Rinne

5. Price

I've always been a huge Miller fan, though.

What's Miller done besides on very good season? He's played poorly in the playoffs, and hasn't done much else. Also, I like Lundqvist, but the excuses and reasoning for him needing the be #1 need to stop. The defense in front of him is not nearly as poor as people like to make it sound, and their defensive system is pretty good.

Leafs lock up Schenn for 5 years at around 3.5 million (I closed the link and don't wanna find it again lol). Glad he will be in blue and white for the next half decade. How must that feel making less than a scrub like Komisarek though.

Edited by Check my Stats

What's Miller done besides on very good season? He's played poorly in the playoffs, and hasn't done much else. Also, I like Lundqvist, but the excuses and reasoning for him needing the be #1 need to stop. The defense in front of him is not nearly as poor as people like to make it sound, and their defensive system is pretty good.

So in other words, everybody should rate Tim Thomas #1 since he has absolutely no competition. Got it.

For the record, I think BFT's rankings are basically spot on.

Yeah, they are pretty unpredictable as of now. Although I think they'd need to get raped pretty hard by injuries to miss the playoffs. IMO, worst case is the young forwards don't develop. But even if this happens, if the defense can stay healthy, they will not be allowing many goals (although this is no lock with Pronger and Timonen getting up there in age). So they could potentially be boring to watch, but they should still sneak into the playoffs.

Best case? Bryz+ the defense stay healthy, plus they get big contributions out of Schenn and Couturier (assuming they can even find roster space for both guys), and possibly Matt Read also, plus Giroux and JvR each take another big step forward. If this happens, they can play with anybody in the East. Offensive depth is the big question mark right now, and I feel like that can swing either way depending on what they get out of the young guys.

Edited by Phightins

I like Philadelphia because they just have a bunch of young talented hockey players who love the game and play it with passion. I would say it's the definition of hockey swagger, they have so many talented young players. Go out and play without much pressure and just go out in win. Now that they have some semi-dependable goaltending I think the Flyers are definitely a top five team in the East.

Goalies are one of the hardest positions to rank because they rely on hot streaks and defensemen.

Craig Anderson can enter beast mode with horrible defense but yet he still wouldn't be a superstar on a team like Boston. Heck look at what Halak did with horrible defense and he got paid and still manages to steal games but if your not in the playoffs then you won't have a playoff team.

I'm not a huge Miller fan but he seems pretty consistant compared to guys like Thomas, Price and Rinne. Same thing can be said for Lundqvist as all it takes is a great hot streak come playoff time and you find yourself with a ring.

I don't think Cam Ward gets enough recognition for his overall body of work. Has a Cup ring, has shown up in the playoffs but plays in front of what has generally been a shitty team. Now that he has a somewhat competent defense I think he's going to shine. No doubt about it.

I don't think Cam Ward gets enough recognition for his overall body of work. Has a Cup ring, has shown up in the playoffs but plays in front of what has generally been a shitty team. Now that he has a somewhat competent defense I think he's going to shine. No doubt about it.

Adding Kaberle is going to make them a better defensive team? :wacko: .

Adding Kaberle is going to make them a better defensive team? :wacko: .

I think it certainly helps to have a proven player on the backend, especially with playersl ike Bobby Sanguinetti coming through and the continual emergence of Jamie McBain. They brought in Bryan Allen for defensive purposes and already have Pitkanen and Gleason. That`s a nice defensive core and Ward has done more with a lot less.

The team is a lot more defensively responsible up front, let`s not forget. Brandon Sutter, Bowman, Boychuk are all young players who have come up playing two-way games.

The Kings are doing a very effective job burning their bridges with Drew Doughty. Good work!

Right, it's totally the Kings fault. The idiot rejected a 9 year $61 million deal. He's had ONEEEEE very good year, and a decent year, and that's it. He needs to stop being a bitch and acting like he's worth more than he is. He would be one of the highest paid players on the Kings.

He doesn't deserve to be paid more than Kopitar who has proven himself much more than the Doughty.

Right, it's totally the Kings fault. The idiot rejected a 9 year $61 million deal. He's had ONEEEEE very good year, and a decent year, and that's it. He needs to stop being a bitch and acting like he's worth more than he is. He would be one of the highest paid players on the Kings.

He doesn't deserve to be paid more than Kopitar who has proven himself much more than the Doughty.

This is irrelevant to the fact that the Kings are burning all bridges with him. Regardless of what you think he's worth, I don't think it's very smart to piss him off like they are. Either make him happy or stand pat. Don't go tell the media that your offer will be declining with every day he misses camp. What is that accomplishing for them long term?

Edited by Phightins