U.S. Soccer Team Discussion Thread

Cobb

Since no one posts in the gameday threads, it will be easier to just have on thread for all discussion.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv347/PapiChuloCobb/a12.jpg

Should be an interesting game. I think it is right in the middle of the MLS Playoffs so Jürgen Klinsmann might bring in some more international guys.

Edited by Cobb

Since no one posts in the gameday threads, it will be easier to just have on thread for all discussion.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv347/PapiChuloCobb/a12.jpg

Should be an interesting game. I think it is right in the middle of the MLS Playoffs so Jürgen Klinsmann might bring in some more international guys.

Cool!! Gon' be rooting for the US. They can win this game. France is still a mess.

• 1 month later...

Well, the 2011 campaign officially ended last week with a 3-2 win over Slovenia. It has really been a year of transition for the team, mainly with the introduction of Jurgen Klinsmann as head coach.

I can't wait to see what 2012 brings along!

• 1 month later...

The U.S. Women’s National team opens 2012 CONCACAF Olympic Women’s Qualifying with a 14-0 rout of Dominican Republic. Their next match is tomorrow against Guatemala.

The U.S. Men's team plays a international friendly against Venezuela tonight at 9 p.m. ET. Game is on ESPN3 and Galavision.

^ :lol: No disrespect but.. it was ONLY A FRIENDLY.... Much ado for nothing. Dudes were celebrating as if they had won the World Cup. :lol:

You can tell it means a lot to him. I feel happy for him mainly since he did take a good bit of the criticism for his play in the World Cup back in 2010.

The U.S. Women’s National has earned a spot in the 2012 London Olympics.

They will play Canada tonight at 5:00 pm ET in the 2012 CONCACAF Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament championship match. The game is on NBC Sports and online at universalsports.com and CONCACAF.com

The U.S. Women’s National has earned a spot in the 2012 London Olympics.

They will play Canada tonight at 5:00 pm ET in the 2012 CONCACAF Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament championship match. The game is on NBC Sports and online at universalsports.com and CONCACAF.com

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--ntmOkTz5po/Tig97xwVMDI/AAAAAAAAAn8/AY6taoW79vU/s400/morgan_display_image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yanks Abroad: Alex Smith’s Up-and-Down Season Down Under

US midfielder Alex Smith, right, plays for the Wellington Phoenix, New Zealand’s only entry in the A-League, the game’s top level in Australia

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/02/07/sports/soccer/phoenix/phoenix-thumbStandard.jpg

As Australia’s A-League season enters the final stretch, the Wellington Phoenix’s American midfielder Alex Smith is enjoying a remarkable comeback while aiming to lead the New Zealand-based club to its first championship.

Smith, 26, has had a season that has its seen peaks and valleys. Last year, Smith was signed by the A-League club Gold Coast United after strong seasons with lower-league teams in Australia.

During the preseason with Gold Coast, Smith sustained a minor injury and the club bought out his contract to make way for the Dutch striker Maceo Rigters. Under A-League rules, clubs are limited to five foreign players and Gold Coast’s only way to make room for Rigters was to delete Smith.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/yanks-abroad-alex-smiths-up-and-down-season-down-under/

Klinsmann's USA set up Scotland contest

(AFP) Wednesday 15 February 2012

USA has booked a 26 May friendly against Scotland as a warm-up match ahead of a 2014 FIFA World Cup™ qualifying opener against Antigua and Barbuda, the US Soccer Federation announced on Wednesday. The Americans will play Scotland in Jacksonville, Florida, and four days later face Brazil in suburban Washington. Four days after that match, they face Canada in Toronto.

Those matches will set the stage for the first CONCACAF semi-final group stage match for the Americans against the Caribbean dual-island nation on 8 June in Tampa, Florida. Antigua and Barbuda have never faced the Americans.

Jamaica and Guatemala are also in the group and only two teams will advance to next year's final round of qualifying for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. "Our focus since last summer has been to prepare this team for World Cup qualifying," US coach Jurgen Klinsmann said. "It's critical that we start qualifying off on the right foot."

FIFA.com

Roster for February 29th International Friendly against Italy:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Parkhurst (FC Nordsjaelland), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Edson Buddle (LA Galaxy), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)

- Glad to see Dempsey and Donovan both being called up. Really excited to see they play with each other under Klinsmann.

Roster for February 29th International Friendly against Italy:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Parkhurst (FC Nordsjaelland), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Edson Buddle (LA Galaxy), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)

(...)

^ No Oguchi Onyewu? :o

Edited by Šhãłïq

I missed the game like I always do since they start so early in the afternoon but I was relieved to hear we won. Glad to see us finally get a win against Italy and who better to score than Clint Dempsey. Dude has been playing some amazing soccer lately.

The U.S. Women also played today and beat the Denmark Women 5-0 in their opening match of the Algarve Cup.

The U.S. Under-23 Men play tonight against Mexico. Hopefully I'll be able to watch some of it. I'm really excited to see how Freddy Adu and Juan Agudelo play against a very solid Mexico side.