U.S. Soccer Team Discussion Thread

Cobb

http://i.imgur.com/J2n22.jpg

That's actually not accurate.

Good result last night. Was getting a bit worried near the end, but we managed to pull it out.

There is now a three-way tie atop Group A, with the U.S., Guatemala, and Jamaica all with seven points. The U.S. and Guatemala are ahead based on goal difference.

Excited for the October matches as Landon Donovan and Michael Bradley should be back.

Women's football sucks. Women's sports, in general, suck. Recently, something occurred to me when I stumbled upon some women's football on TV; the female body is an intriguing and mystifying organism. It's capable of creating, carrying and harboring new life, but also entirely incapable of making a simple six yard pass. Mesmerizing.

• Like 1

Women's football sucks. Women's sports, in general, suck. Recently, something occurred to me when I stumbled upon some women's football on TV; the female body is an intriguing and mystifying organism. It's capable of creating, carrying and harboring new life, but also entirely incapable of making a simple six yard pass. Mesmerizing.

Couldn't agree more... Gave you a well-deserved +1. Volleyball must be one of the few female sports I enjoy watching..

Not sure which teams you watched, but one of the most fascinating soccer games I have ever seen have featured women. The 2011 Women's World Cup quarterfinal game between the U.S. and Brazil, specifically Abby Wambach's header in the 122nd minute is something I'll never forget.

Now I've only seen a couple of league games and don't particular care for them. National team soccer what is what I enjoy the most in the women's game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ailing Donovan ruled out of U.S. qualifiers

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/1009/soc_g_donovan_gb1_200.jpg

Misael Montaño/Getty Images

The U.S. has lost forward Landon Donovan (above) and winger Brek Shea to injuries for Cup qualifiers against Antigua and Barbuda and Guatemala.

MIAMI -- Landon Donovan will not play for the U.S. national team in a pair of upcoming World Cup qualifying matches because of an injured left knee, adding to what will be a pressure-filled few days for the Americans. U.S. Soccer said Tuesday that Donovan -- who has more goals, assists and starts than any player in program history -- likely will not be replaced on what was a 24-man roster for the upcoming qualifiers, first on Friday on the road against Antigua and Barbuda, then in Kansas City on Oct. 16 against Guatemala.

Donovan was injured while playing Saturday for the Los Angeles Galaxy. He was selected by U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann for these qualifiers anyway, and the team's athletic trainers wanted him to be evaluated one more time before he started training. Donovan had scrapped plans for an MRI in Los Angeles on Monday because he thought his knee had improved.

"Landon was very optimistic over the weekend when his knee was feeling much better, but now he needs time to recover," Klinsmann said. Both the national team and the Galaxy said Donovan was returning to Los Angeles for further evaluation.

Full Story

Uh-oh!!

I'm not too worried about Donovan missing out on these two qualifiers mainly because we just need a win on Friday against Antigua & Barbuda (already beat them 3-1) to control their own destiny.

I meant to make a post earlier this this week about the roster that was released Monday, but just haven't gotten around to it until now.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Maurice Edu (Stoke City), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Roma), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (5): Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Alan Gordon (San Jose Earthquakes), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders)

The one glaring surprise comes at the forward position as Jozy Altidore was left out and I'm stunned. While Altidore hasn't been able to translate his club success to the national team, he's unquestionably the most talented striker on the team. Appears as though Klinsmann was not satisfied with the effort and work that Jozy was putting forth.

Hopefully this omission just motivates Jozy even more.

'Shouldn't' is the key word here.

Among other thoughts, Klinsmann is a terrible coach.

I understand that his rhetoric hasn't exactly translated into the results and final product many thought it would, but then again, did you expect him to turn this team around in a 14-month span? I surely didn't.

I understand that his rhetoric hasn't exactly translated into the results and final product many thought it would, but then again, did you expect him to turn this team around in a 14-month span? I surely didn't.

The team Bruce Arena left was not at a bad phase at all. They almost made it to the Quarterfinals at the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

The team Bruce Arena left was not at a bad phase at all. They almost made it to the Quarterfinals at the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

I think you're confusing Bruce Arena, who coached the team for the 2002 and 2006 World Cups with Bob Bradley who was the coach during the 2010 World Cup.

Anyways, back to your original statement regarding Jurgen Klinsmann being a terrible coach, what exactly makes you think this? I'm just curious to see what an outsiders prospective is.

I think you're confusing Bruce Arena, who coached the team for the 2002 and 2006 World Cups with Bob Bradley who was the coach during the 2010 World Cup.

Anyways, back to your original statement regarding Jurgen Klinsmann being a terrible coach, what exactly makes you think this? I'm just curious to see what an outsiders prospective is.

Yeah, I meant Bradley.. my bad lol.. :lol:

Klinsmann just seems lost, man. Did you watch the USA-Brazil game.. Talk about terrible desicions. And I'm not basing myself on a single game. Just giving a good example.

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

Yeah, I meant Bradley.. my bad lol.. :lol:

Klinsmann just seems lost, man. Did you watch the USA-Brazil game.. Talk about terrible desicions. And I'm not basing myself on a single game. Just giving a good example.

Oh c'mon man. You of all people should know that the U.S. has no business in a game against a team like Brazil.

Oh c'mon man. You of all people should know that the U.S. has no business in a game against a team like Brazil.

Brazil is a mess, bro! Mano Menezes has gotta be the worst Brazilian coach ever. NOBODY here in Brazil likes him.. maybe only his wife (if he has one).

So trust me - I know what I'm saying.

Brazil is a mess, bro! Mano Menezes has gotta be the worst Brazilian coach ever. NOBODY here in Brazil likes him.. maybe only his wife (if he has one).

So trust me - I know what I'm saying.

It's not about the coach, especially when you have a team with world-class players such as Marcelo and Neymar. Did you honestly think the U.S. stood any chance in that exhibition match?

It's not about the coach, especially when you have a team with world-class players such as Marcelo and Neymar. Did you honestly think the U.S. stood any chance in that exhibition match?

Of course the US stood a chance. Brazil is not what it used to be. Did you see the Olympics soccer turnament? Brazil struggled against Honduras, New Zealand, and failed against Mexico. I expected the US to at least draw that friendly.