U.S. Soccer Team Discussion Thread

Cobb

Of course the US stood a chance. Brazil is not what it used to be. Did you see the Olympics soccer turnament? Brazil struggled against Honduras, New Zealand, and failed against Mexico. I expected the US to at least draw that friendly.

Maybe they aren't what they used to be, but it doesn't matter. Brazil's U-23 thoroughly beat the U.S. 4-1. Regardless of what the final score was on the scoreboard, one thing was pretty clear, Brazil was just simply better. Yes, the U.S. had some really good chances in the beginning of the second half, but even if we had converted those chances, Brazil had multiple opportunities as well. Losing to Brazil isn't something to be ashamed of being a U.S. fan. I mean it is Brazil we're talking about after all.

Fabian Johnson and Castillo out:

United States will do without Fabian Johnson and Edgar Castillo in the World Cup qualifier at Antigua and Barbuda on Friday

Defenders Fabian Johnson and Edgar Castillo will miss the United States' World Cup qualifier at Antigua and Barbuda on Friday, the latest players out of a critical match for the Americans as they attempt to reach the 2014 tournament in Brazil.

Johnson is recovering from the flu and plans to join the team ahead of Tuesday's game against Guatemala at Kansas City, Kan., the finale match of the semifinal round in the North and Central American and Caribbean region.

Castillo has a foot injury and will miss both matches, the U.S. Soccer Federation said after he had an MRI Wednesday.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/6/55/55325/Sports/World/Fabian-Johnson-and-Castillo-to-miss-US-qualifier.aspx

What next?

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

Close game like I expected. Really tough to go into games like these where the opponent is playing like it's a cup final and to play on a field that is primarily used for cricket. With the 2-1 win tonight the odds to advance to the Hexagonal are currently at 96.8%, per SPI.

IN EDDIE JOHNSON WE TRUST.

http://i.imgur.com/Kwq42.jpg

While a win is expected tonight against Guatemala, one point is enough to advance to the hexagonal round. Would love to see a blowout win tonight, after the miserable performance Friday night against Antigua and Barbuda.

Well, after an early goal by no one other than Carlos Ruiz, Clint Dempsey brought the boys back to a 3-1 victory and the U.S. is through to the hexagonal round. Aside from the early goal by Guatemala, this is exactly the type of game I was hoping to end on. We managed to maintain control and attack the goal all the way up until the end of the game.

Hex is going to much tougher this time around compared to 2010 (Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Trinidad & Tobago). Just wish it started soon so it'd be possible to ride this bit of momentum.

• 3 weeks later...

US @ Hon on 2-6

Costa Rica @ US on 3-22

US @ Mex on 3-26

US @ Jam on 6-7

Panama @ US on 6-11

Hon @ US on 6-18

US @ Costa Rica on 9-6

Mex @ US on 9-10

Jam @ US on 10-11

US @ Pan on 10-15

Three road games in first four WCQs... make no mistakes, Jurg! At least, 4 out of 5 at home after that.

Edited by Sħãlïq

• 2 months later...

Wow, it has been awhile since I've made a post in here. Anyways, the first home World Cup Qualifying game will be played at Dick's Sporting Goods park in Colorado. Hopefully playing at altitude will benefit us four days later when we go to play at Azteca.

First WCQ game is just around the corner!

• 2 weeks later...

Such a shame that the US can't beat a Honduran team filled with mostly Hondurans and MLS players. I'm not concerned about the World Cup as it would take a monumental failure to not qualify. My biggest concern is that the US still has a tough time beating CONCACAF minnows.

Maybe, just maybe, Landon Donovan will wake up one day in the near future and decide to come back and continue with his soccer career.

Such a shame that the US can't beat a Honduran team filled with mostly Hondurans and MLS players. I'm not concerned about the World Cup as it would take a monumental failure to not qualify. My biggest concern is that the US still has a tough time beating CONCACAF minnows.

Maybe, just maybe, Landon Donovan will wake up one day in the near future and decide to come back and continue with his soccer career.

I understand your concerns but Honduras shouldn't be underestimated - they gained some World Cup experience in South Africa, upset Spain and almost upset Brazil in the Olympics.

When did they come up with a rule like that?! :o

I wasn't referring to any kind of rule. He stated his intention to return back to the Galaxy, but it's still unclear when/if he'll return and play with the national team. If he were to continue playing with the USMNT, he wouldn't be ready for their qualifiers against Costa Rica on the 22nd or against Mexico on the 26th since he would have just returned.

Looking forward to June 2nd as the USWNT will be taking on Canada in Toronto. This is the first meeting since the World Cup semifinal in 2011 and will surely offer some good entertainment after that controversial match.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the 2013 centennial kit. Won't buy it, but I like it. Wish ussoccer.com had free shipping as the rates they charge really kills any potential purchase for me.

http://i.imgur.com/O8Qi1cn.jpg

Rough day yesterday for the top American goalkeepers. Tim Howard has two fractures in his back and will miss at least four weeks, which means he won't be available for the qualifiers later this month and Hope Solo will be out three to four months after undergoing wrist surgery.

Rough day yesterday for the top American goalkeepers. Tim Howard has two fractures in his back and will miss at least four weeks, which means he won't be available for the qualifiers later this month and Hope Solo will be out three to four months after undergoing wrist surgery.

:(

Brad Guzan will take care of business tho'!!