09-10 Phila Eagles Thread

Guest N4S

I don't expect Maclin to put up huge numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of long range bombs here and there. I also think he has the potential to contribute immensely on special teams.

yeah. i was talking more about offense about him not having an impact right now. he looked great on those returns last game, he could have a huge year with that

LeSean looked good to me. I usually don't buy the Eagles hype, but I think this year they'll be for real.

What if they had a guy like Maclin (but someone with a little bit of an arm, like Ronnie Brown's) line up under center, have both McNabb and Vick in the backfield, and then put 3 guys wide. That'd be so confusing with so many possibilities, it'd take the Mad-Dog to another level.

lol

preseason game 2

leonard weaver and ellis hobbs get injured.

we have so many injuries already it's baffling. celek and sheldon brown couldn't suit up, along with kolb and westbrook. our ENTIRE starting offensive line is injured, except center jamaal jackson. not to mention all those season ending injuries we got in camp.

i was so pumped for this year to start, but if we cannot stay healthy, this will be a looooooooooooooooong season.

on a brighter note, mccoy once again was very impressive, along with desean jackson. michael vick should be ready to go for game 3, should be interesting.

Edited by Yung Luv

weaver hurt his knee. i forgot what happened to hobbs, but i think he hurt his ankle or something.

also, i meant to put brandon gibson instead of mccoy. gibson looks like a steal in the 6th round so far. mccoy wasn't too spectacular yesterday, although he did do a great job receiving the ball. as for the rushing, well you can't really blame him when when your entire o-line is practically dead.

why was gibson such a low round pick? there has to be something wrong with him

i read it was because he went to a smaller school

also, last year they got a new head coach who changed up the offense, and i read that gibson wasn't too comfortable in the system. regardless, he has been really impressive for us, and the coaches love him. i really hope they don't [expletive] up and keep him on the roster. either baskett or brown should be on the way out.

Vick looked good in his limited playing time. He had nice zip on his throw to Baskett, wish he could've gotten more minutes though. The fans gave him a standing ovation when he first came in, to make him feel more welcomed. I thought it was a nice gesture. I really look forward to seeing how Andy will utilize Vick's presence, I'm sure he'll have some tricks up his sleeve.

As for the rest of the team, they haven't impressed me at all this preseason. I know it's preseason and things will be sloppy, but the offense, defense, and special teams have been wildly inconsistent. Surprisingly enough, the rookies: Maclin, McCoy (he's been a stud), and Gibson have been the most impressive.

Our offensive line has been injured all summer. With the exception of Jamaal Jackson, our entire o-line has been injured and out. We just got to see Stacy Andrews and Jason Peters in action today, and they looked rusty as hell.

The defense has been depressing as well. They haven't been getting pressure and the secondary is getting beat. Without Bradley out there, our linebackers look average/below average, which won't get the job done. Although I won't put too much stock into all this, because some of our key guys like Trent Cole haven't seen the field too much, I've been pretty disappointed by this team so far.

My biggest problem is that they just look sloppy as hell, from first unit down. They've been getting stupid penalties and just haven't played too well. We still struggle to score the ball when we're in the red zone, which killed us last year. I'm not gonna get too worried, but I hope all this gets fixed before the season starts, which will be hard because we have so many guys out.

btw, Kolb and the guys just rallied us back and we may win. wtf...

its the preseason, it really doesnt matter at all. guys like mcnabb and other starters dont care. they are just playing to not get hurt.

guess who the only team to go undefeated in the preseason last year? the 0-17 detroit lions. and the colts hadnt won a game in the preseason in years before they beat us this year

the point of the preseason is for the rookies to step up and show what they can do. you really cant judge how the defense is or anything like that because the starters really dont care. these games have no meaning for veterans

I understand preseason doesn't matter, but I was hoping for a bit more. The o-line has been pretty terrible (I understand about the injuries), but I don't want to start the season off with no chemistry. Guys like Peters and the Andrews brothers need to heal up and get their asses onto the field. Joe Mays or whoever they have trying to replace Stewart Bradley has not gotten the job done. Our LB corpse is weak. But you're right, it's just preseason. I just hate us doing stupid [expletive] near the goal line or not converting 3rd and short because we've been having these issues forever.

I really think we need an upgrade at LB though. I don't have faith that Joe Mays can man the middle effectively, to go along with GoCong and Jordan.

its ok to expect a lot from young guys like mccoy and maclin, but you really cant expect anything from the guys like peters. the last thing they want is to regular season games because they went all out in the preseason.

i agree. i would love to see a guy like brooks (if he didnt sign anywhere yet) for a year. joe mays might be ok, but he is not good enough to be the center of a superbowl defense. they need to sign a veteran type linebacker who can come in and show the young guys a few things

Honestly, as much as people don't put stock into pre-season, and say it's a joke, it doesn't translate over to the regular season. Well, in some cases that's definitely true, Detroit went 4-0 before going 0-16, so obviously it's different in some ways, but it's starting to matter more and more.

Jacksonville's starters went DEEP into the third quarter. Chad Pennington was still out there for Miami till about the 4 minute mark of the 3rd quarter. Coaches are starting to believe it matters, so I think that label of pre-season meaning [expletive] is starting to go down the tube now.

I hate to say it, but I'm a little worry about how Philly will come out this season. Jason Peters looked worse then he looked all of last year, Derrick Harvey was having a field day with him on some drives and the Jags' D got way too many uncontested shots at McNabb. I truly believe the offense will come out flat and have people searching for answers, calling for Andy's head (maybe not that extreme - maybe homers?).

The defense has looked good though - real good. The defense looks like they've actually gained steps with McDermott rather then taking a few steps back, or looking a little out of sorts.

Yeah I agree about Peters. He's really looked bad this preseason when he's played and that's not a good sign. He is struggling big time in pass protection and is showing Eagles fans how he was able to lead the league in sacks allowed the past two years.

Jason Avant has looked amazing though and Asante had some big plays tonight for the defense. I wasn't able to watch the game, but I saw the highlights and analysis on it.

And the Eagles sucking in preseason is nothing for concern. The Eagles usually do suck in the preseason and they have the highest winning percentage in the NFC for the last decade. You don't want to use your best plays in the preseason so that teams wont be prepared for it.

Bradley's loss is pretty gay, but our LB's are going to have to do. Joe Mays will do better than any new guy coming in without knowledge of the system and I think he can be solid against the run.

Honestly, as much as people don't put stock into pre-season, and say it's a joke, it doesn't translate over to the regular season. Well, in some cases that's definitely true, Detroit went 4-0 before going 0-16, so obviously it's different in some ways, but it's starting to matter more and more.

Jacksonville's starters went DEEP into the third quarter. Chad Pennington was still out there for Miami till about the 4 minute mark of the 3rd quarter. Coaches are starting to believe it matters, so I think that label of pre-season meaning [expletive] is starting to go down the tube now.

I hate to say it, but I'm a little worry about how Philly will come out this season. Jason Peters looked worse then he looked all of last year, Derrick Harvey was having a field day with him on some drives and the Jags' D got way too many uncontested shots at McNabb. I truly believe the offense will come out flat and have people searching for answers, calling for Andy's head (maybe not that extreme - maybe homers?).

The defense has looked good though - real good. The defense looks like they've actually gained steps with McDermott rather then taking a few steps back, or looking a little out of sorts.

coaches may start to think it matters more now, but that doesnt change anything about how the players view it. guys like peters just dont want to get hurt. the worst thing would be for them to get hurt in the preseason and miss regular season time, or maybe even the whole season. last year my dad and a few guys were talking to peter deluca (eagles team doctor, i used to play lacrosse with his son) about the eagles, and even he was saying how a lot of players dont try as hard the week before the bye because no one wants to get hurt and sit in the rehab room the whole bye week. the coaches can only do so much, the bottom line is that its a game that doesnt matter, so the veterans are not even gonna waste their time.

with that said, peters doing bad really doesnt mean anything. obviously it is never good to see a player not doing well, but i am not concerned even a little bit. if he struggles like this during the first few weeks of the season then i will start to worry.

The Big Kid, Shawn Andrews returned to practice today. Finally, we are getting our o-line healthy.

Apparently Omar Gaither is now our starting MLB (as I predicted would happen). No knock against Joe Mays or anything, I like him as a player. He's a hard hitter and goes all out, but he is simply too small to be a starter in this league, and he's just not that good. He's a valuable piece to the special teams though, which is where he should see the majority of his playing time. Gaither is nothing special, but he's an average linebacker who has starting experience. Should be a decent stop gap until next season when Bradley returns.

Also, apparently Quintin Demps is being pushed hard for his starting job. Rookie Macho Harris is making his statement to become starter. I think at the end of the day, Demps will still be our starting safety, but I've very encouraged by the way Macho has stepped up, as a 2nd day rookie, to compete for a starting job. I'm loving our rookies this year.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brandon Gibson and Eldra Buckley made the team!!!

Some players who were cut are Lorenzo Booker, Matt Schobel, and Dan Klecko.

So happy Gibson made the team, I have a feeling he'll be a late round steal. And Buckley has just ran his heart out for us in the preseason, and showed much more than Booker ever has.

I'm kinda confused we will end up keeping 7 WRs though. I thought either Brown or Baskett would be gone, guess not. Whatever happens though, I hope they hold onto Gibson.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brandon Gibson and Eldra Buckley made the team!!!

Some players who were cut are Lorenzo Booker, Matt Schobel, and Dan Klecko.

So happy Gibson made the team, I have a feeling he'll be a late round steal. And Buckley has just ran his heart out for us in the preseason, and showed much more than Booker ever has.

I'm kinda confused we will end up keeping 7 WRs though. I thought either Brown or Baskett would be gone, guess not. Whatever happens though, I hope they hold onto Gibson.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2ls72om.gif

Haha right on Smitty, eff Lorenzo Booker. He was one of the biggest pusses ever and a total waste of a trade giving up that third round pick for him. I'm too surprised they still have 7 WR.... Interesting. All of them are worthy of being on an NFL Roster though.