Players Reject Latest Proposal; File for Notice of Disclaimer

Built Ford Tough

After meeting earlier today, the owners' latest proposal was shot down by the players, which means the lockout will continue.

They also are going to be filing for a Notice of Disclaimer, which means that there is no more NBPA, the players will be forming a trade association and will be suing the NBA either today or tomorrow.

Basically, it sounds like this is now out of the players and owners hands, and will be settled in court.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Honestly, I think the players made a gigantic mistake by doing this, unless it is just a negotiation ploy on their behalf to try and get the owners to give in a bit more (which is moronic in its own right, since many owners were against this deal in the first place). Even if that is the case, it is a huge risk to take as I fully believe that the owners won't have any problem with letting this get taken to court. I certainly believe that if it does go that far, the owners will win if it goes to court and the players will end up getting a much, much worse deal than what they would have gotten had they simply accepted the offer today.

If the court rules in favor of the owners, the players could wind up getting absolutely obliterated in the next CBA as they will pretty much be forced to accept a hard cap, less than 50/50 BRI split and basically, take a giant dong up the ass.

Of course I could be completely wrong and the players may have a great case and it will be the owners who get screwed. I don't claim to be an expert on this by any means.

Season is done.

It isn't official or anything, but Stern and Hunter have basically both said as much.

Also, Stern seems absolutely pissed during his press conference right now.

Stern:"lots of paychecks keep getting missed for players and their families. the union decided in its infinite wisdom that the proposal would not be presented to the membership with an accurate description of the offer, so now we're about to enter the nuclear winter of the nba"

Stern: "Im not banking on anything, the franchises will be here and they're not going away, players whose last year was this season, will have their careers potentially end on this basis....And it's just a negotiating tactic"

Stern: "Obviously, Mr. Kessler got his way and we're about to go into the nuclear winter of the NBA."

Kobe looked like he wanted to strangle every single player on the stage with him during the players press conference. :lol:

Still a chance for a season - no chance at a full season though obviously.

If they can get something done by Jan 1st there may be like a 50 game season or sometihng.

With the way thngs have gone though, even that's unlikely.

can the players go back on this and accept a deal if they realize how retarded they are being?

Why would the owners let them if that is the case?

If I was an owner and the players came crawling back to me wanting to accept this deal, I would tell them to get bent. They had the chance at having the soft cap, 50/50 BRI split and all of the salary cap exceptions, but now I would push for a hard cap, a BRI that favours me and all the other things that they wanted at first.

EDIT: Realized I forgot to actually answer your question, haha. The answer is yes, they can. They won't, but they can.

• Owner

can the players go back on this and accept a deal if they realize how retarded they are being?

Yes, but there's no way that happens. The owners now have all of the leverage, and I don't see how the players think they can win a case against them, since they didn't decertify.

EDIT: In other words, what BFT said. The owners won't give them the same deal.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan and his little crew try and push for 43%. It was said that MJ was thinking 37%, at one point.

The current deal sucks though from what ive read. The Lakers would have to blow up the current team just to survive under the new CBA.

The current deal was basically the exact same as the CBA that just expired for the next two seasons.

It wasn't until the 3rd year of the CBA that any of the real changes kicked in, such as the increased luxury tax. They wouldn't have to blow anything up for at least another 2 years, by which point they would've had enough turnover (whether it is from trades, signings, expirings, etc...) that it likely wouldn't even have been an issue.

Even then, the Lakers are a perfect example of why the CBA that just expired is broken. They have a payroll that is nearly $20M more than the 2nd highest team in the Orlando Magic. Having a payroll that is nearly $40M over the "salary cap" is an absolute joke.

Nobody is stopping them from continuing to have an outlandish payroll, either. If owners like Arison, Buss or Cuban want to, they can continue to spend as much money as they want. It is just going to cost them more than a lousy dollar for dollar tax.

The owners got absolutely bent over backwards in the previous CBA negotiations and they were just looking to get on a more even playing field. As far as I am concerned, the system is broken when you have teams spending $30-40M over the cap, players forcing their way out of their current teams like Anthony did to Denver and so on and so forth.

Are the owners being greedy in their own right? Absolutely. They may very well regret not giving into the players a bit, but considering how badly they had it in the last CBA negotiations, I can understand where they are coming from. I can also understand why the players are so reluctant to accept this deal considering how great they had it over the duration of the previous CBA. That doesn't mean I don't think they aren't idiots for accepting this deal because it certainly wasn't terrible from everything I have heard and read about it.

Don't lose ALL hope guys...

We still have a month and a half pretty much for them to strike a deal...Not saying it will ever happen, but still time for SOME type of NBA season this year...

Did anyone see Keyon Doolings interview? He basically said he has no idea what's next for the players, honestly wouldn't be surprised if they do in fact have no plan in place. No way in hell they win this battle in court.

A lot of hardline owners wanted this lockout for a long time in order to squeeze the players as much as they possibly could. Their strategy seemed so clear, they were going to run up the score on the players until some legal action took place, so I guess this was inevitable from the start. What the players don't realize is that suing the NBA doesn't mean a fair deal, in fact, it could end up biting them in the ass.

This is a disaster, and when the lockout ends, we'll see just how bad it hurt the league. This could bring the NBA way down, and could take years for it to get to the point it was last year. Stern said the majority of teams were losing money prior to the lockout, just wait till it actually comes back.. Teams could be contracted, lose money, and ratings will plummet.