Hornets agree to send Chris Paul to Clippers

Dash

• Owner

The Clippers ARE a big market team, just as New York has been. It doesn't matter how bad the roster has been...Los Angeles is a big market. Would Stern veto this? Hell no, because he wants more than 2-3 teams dominating the NBA, simple as that...and, again, the entire situation was collusion, but nobody would ever be able to prove this.

I honestly hope Ricky Rubio plays like a bad ass, and Derrick Williams puts up LeBron-type numbers in his rookie season. I want to see the Wolves contend for the 8th spot in the West.

Additionally, I hope Eric Gordon goes OFF this season, somehow makes the All-Star Game, then declines the Qualifying Offer and becomes a free agent.

Kaman

Okafor

Ariza

Gordon

Jack

Would be nice if they played as good as the Denver Nuggets did, once they dealt Melo, and had a late lottery pick.

I'm over not getting CP3...kind of glad the Lakers didn't trade Gasol or Drew for him, especially after losing Lamar. However, seeing him go to a big market team really ticks me off. I'm glad Blake Griffin has a teammate that can feed him the ball in the pick and roll, and it will be FUN to watch...but as far as Stern goes, I hope it all backfires in his face.

Stern got a better deal for the Hornets, nice job

Exactly I'm happy Stern was strict and got us legit value for CP3. That Minny pick can be very useful and I hear nothing but good things about Aminu.

The Clippers ARE a big market team, just as New York has been. It doesn't matter how bad the roster has been...Los Angeles is a big market. Would Stern veto this? Hell no, because he wants more than 2-3 teams dominating the NBA, simple as that...and, again, the entire situation was collusion, but nobody would ever be able to prove this.

I honestly hope Ricky Rubio plays like a bad ass, and Derrick Williams puts up LeBron-type numbers in his rookie season. I want to see the Wolves contend for the 8th spot in the West.

Additionally, I hope Eric Gordon goes OFF this season, somehow makes the All-Star Game, then declines the Qualifying Offer and becomes a free agent.

Kaman

Okafor

Ariza

Gordon

Jack

Would be nice if they played as good as the Denver Nuggets did, once they dealt Melo, and had a late lottery pick.

I'm over not getting CP3...kind of glad the Lakers didn't trade Gasol or Drew for him, especially after losing Lamar. However, seeing him go to a big market team really ticks me off. I'm glad Blake Griffin has a teammate that can feed him the ball in the pick and roll, and it will be FUN to watch...but as far as Stern goes, I hope it all backfires in his face.

The Hornets got a better deal though than in the other trade. Looking back, Stern the owner made the right call for the Hornets. They'll be just as competitive and IMO got better young players in Gordon and Aminu plus a valuable draft pick. It sucks for Laker fans I can imagine but this was definitely a better deal for New Orleans.

• Owner

The Hornets got a better deal though than in the other trade. Looking back, Stern the owner made the right call for the Hornets. They'll be just as competitive and IMO got better young players in Gordon and Aminu plus a valuable draft pick. It sucks for Laker fans I can imagine but this was definitely a better deal for New Orleans.

I wasn't arguing that. It wasn't about what they were getting in the deal, and everyone knows that. Nobody ever gave that excuse...everyone knows that the Lakers were saving too much money, and not giving enough picks and young talent, and it's that simple. Everyone from Sheridan, Ford and Stein...to Adande, Rome, Steven A and Bayless knew what happened.

It's hard to say I want the Hornets to fail, but that's Stern's fault. In a way, I hope they win 40 games, to ruin their draft pick...same with Minny. That's not necessarily hoping they will fail today, just that Stern's plan fails, and he eventually steps down, retires, and is never associated with the NBA again.

Kaman

Okafor

Ariza

Gordon

Jack

I actualy think they'll finish higher than everyone thinks, Adelman has done better with less. Would be amazing for them to pick up Kevin Martin from us as well (plausible if Houston doesn't find a center soon).

Edited by Dash

The Wolves were supposed to be "on the upswing" for what seems like 5 years now.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Rubio is far from a sure thing given how his production has actually regressed since he was drafted and there seem to be even more question marks around him now than they were when he entered the draft. I realize that his game seems to be more suited to the NBA level and by no means am I saying he will be a bust, but I wouldn't expect a miracle worker during his rookie season either.

Williams is good, but not without questions of his own. Can he guard either 3's or 4's? Is he quick enough on the perimeter to be able to play the 3 offensively? His value is much, much higher as a small forward than it is as a power forward, especially since Kevin Love is already on the team, and it is far from a given that he will be able to play the 3. He is talented, but as a rookie will experience ups and downs as well, just like Rubio.

Barea? Please, he is going to come crashing back down to earth after playing well over his head during the Finals on a great team.

That isn't to say that I think the Wolves will end up with a bottom 3 record or anything like that. But I'll be absolutely shocked if the pick is a low lottery pick. You really think that the Wolves will go from the worst team in the NBA to a near playoff team just because they added Adelman, Rubio and Williams? The pick will be 10th at the very latest, in my opinion. Even if it is 10th, you are still going to get a very good prospect considering the depth of this draft.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner

Even if they're picking in the 10-15 range they're going to be getting 2 studs. This draft class is just so nasty, especially now being able to build around Gordon.

Wait...build around who? Eric Gordon?

Warriors build around Monta Ellis.

Pacers build around Danny Granger.

Sixers build around Andre Iguodala.

Hawks build around Joe Johnson.

Rockets build around Kevin Martin.

I don't need to explain. If the Hornets are going to build around anyone from this trade, it will be the Minnesota pick. Gordon is a good player, but he's not a superstar, and he'll never be one.

Wait...build around who? Eric Gordon?

Warriors build around Monta Ellis.

Pacers build around Danny Granger.

Sixers build around Andre Iguodala.

Hawks build around Joe Johnson.

Rockets build around Kevin Martin.

I don't need to explain. If the Hornets are going to build around anyone from this trade, it will be the Minnesota pick. Gordon is a good player, but he's not a superstar, and he'll never be one.

IMO Gordon is a top 3 SG behind Wade and Kobe by the end of this season. He's only 22 IIRC and hasn't hit his prime yet. I think he's got a shot to be a franchise type of player.

IMO Gordon is a top 3 SG behind Wade and Kobe by the end of this season. He's only 22 IIRC and hasn't hit his prime yet. I think he's got a shot to be a franchise type of player.

I don't know if he's top three but he can be a player that a team can be built around seeing that he is only 22 years old and already a star.

• Owner

:wallbash3:

At one point, Manu Ginobili has been a top three two-guard in the league, but there was never any indication a team could be built around him.

Kobe, Wade, Durant, LeBron, CP3, D-Will, Dirk, Howard...these are guys you can build a team around. If you think Gordon will be that guy...well, not sure what to say here. Okay.

Lol I actually agree with Flash too, I believe and have believed since early last year that Eric Gordon is the third best 2 guard in the league and his game is only improving. I don't see why you can't at least use him as a centerpiece and couple great pieces with him. If gets past these injury issues hes 25 PPG waiting to happen.

• Owner

If gets past these injury issues hes 25 PPG waiting to happen.

Kevin Martin averaged 25 PPG in 2009. Monta did it in 2010.

Again, just an observation. If you guys think Martin and Ellis are two players you can build around, that's fine...

So ignorant to think that Stern shot down the LAL deal because of the "big market" shit or "because it was the Lakers", he shot it down because it was an absolutely horrible deal for the Hornets... Odom's value: a first in the 20's... Pau's value at this point, probably not much higher... that deal was absolute shit... that is why it was shot down, not because it is the Los Angeles Lakers..

Hopefully this deal sets a precedent for the future trades of stars. Shitty firsts and veterans IS NOT enough for a star player. This is probably more than a player like Paul should get given the circumstances, but you should get a player with legit all-star upside, as well as numerous other VALUABLE assets.

Also, for the record, Gordon is NOT a franchise player... but he is definitely someone you can build WITH... there are only a handful of players you can build around in the NBA, but players like Gordon don't grow on trees either. Gordon is a weak first option, sort of like Bosh, but a terrific second option in the future... the Hornets are going to be in great shape with their own top pick this year, as well as that Wolves pick... really they could package it to move up and get that guy to build "around".

This move fast forwards the Hornets rebuild 2-3 seasons.... the LAL deal pushes it back. The right decision was made, and as a neutral party in this situation, I am very happy with what has happened.

Edited by Check my Stats
  • Like 2

• Owner

So ignorant to think that Stern shot down the LAL deal because of the "big market" shit or "because it was the Lakers", he shot it down because it was an absolutely horrible deal for the Hornets... Odom's value: a first in the 20's... Pau's value at this point, probably not much higher... that deal was absolute shit... that is why it was shot down, not because it is the Los Angeles Lakers..

Ah yeah, I forgot...the trade was only giving the Hornets Lamar, nothing else. Slipped my mind.

Also, it's so ignorant to misread what others say, so I'll post it again...

Would Stern veto this? Hell no, because he wants more than 2-3 teams dominating the NBA, simple as that...and, again, the entire situation was collusion, but nobody would ever be able to prove this.

Stern was simply sending a message, not that it will take a lot to acquire a player (he sure didn't hold out for another superstar), but that he wants owners to NOT let a player dictate where they go (Paul only stated the Knicks and Lakers) and that he doesn't want 2-3 teams dominating the league for the next decade.

Cuban and Gilbert confirmed that, anyway...and, ironically, they had yet to sign the CBA, and there's a hint that the signing was nearly put aside..and would have been...had Stern approved the trade.

He was getting back Martin, Scola, Odom, Dragic, Ebanks, Caracter, Patterson, and picks...and at one point, dumping Okafor's salary, sending David West to Boston in a sign-and-trade, and Jermaine O'Neal to the Rockets. If it was him showing just how much a team would have to give up for a superstar, that would've done it...the Lakers were giving up two of the best players they have (Pau and Odom, an all-star PF/C and the sixth man of the year - who is an all-star in the East).

But, no...instead, he takes the risk and goes with Gordon, and a pick that COULD be anywhere from #1-15.

Message sent.

• Owner

Haha, honestly...nevermind any of that. Fantastic trade by the Hornets, makes a ton of sense. Bosh is like Gordon, you say...great second option. The Raptors build with their draft picks and around a second scoring option, the Hornets seem to be going the same route. Perfect strategy.

Funny how I have to bash the current trade, just to show that the Lakers/Rockets deal was just as good, if not better. Both trades were smart. The Clippers deal was supposedly not going to happen, not even discussed, because Sterling was 100% sure not going to trade Gordon AND the pick, but at one point, it was obvious the Lakers had absolutely no shot at CP3, even substituting an $8.9 million TPE for Lamar.

Martin, Scola, Odom, Dragic, Ebanks, Caracter, and picks

None of this is valuable in a rebuild. Ebanks and Caracter are deep bench players, the picks were late, Dragic is a backup PG, and the other three are old guys making a bunch of money (Martin and Scola for extended years). The package they got, in the situation they're in, is wayyyyyyy better than that.