Philadelphia Phillies 2012

Phightins

I really don't expect to get much for him. Under the new CBA, traded players that are pending free agents don't keep their Type-A status. So teams that don't think they'd be able to sign Hamels beyond this season would be way less inclined to give up much for a half-season rental. There is no reward for losing him in the offseason.

If Amaro can get a bidding war started until somebody caves, then great, he absolutely should be traded. If not, I'd rather hang on and keep pushing to sign him. Worst case is he walks and we get a couple high draft picks.

I just feel as though the trade deadline is the deadline for Phillies to sign Hamels with the way negotiations have gone. If Amaro isn't planning on placing that call to Hamels and his agent, mine as well try shipping him out for the best prospect package available and focus on winning in 2013.

Would hate to be Amaro, as it's going to be one damn tough decision to make.

Well, I'd generally agree. But it all depends on what the trade offers are. At this point, I don't expect to sign Hamels one way or the other, but if all the trade offers are crap I may just prefer the two first round picks we'll get as compensation. I have not begun to look into next year's draft class though...a lot hinges on that.

Friend from Philly is taking me to the Braves game this Saturday. Looking forward to my first time at CBP.

Nice man! Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Phightins

I watched the final inning of Mets' Encore for Thursday night's game. Wow. Three one-strike-away ABs (one with a foul tip), a ricochet off Pap that bounced in an inconvenient direction, and a bloop single. Rough.

Edited by #HelloBrooklyn

Looking forward to tomorrow night's game. Anything I should know about the ballpark, Chris? (food, exploration, etc.)

Hmm. For the most part, the food is good, although expensive. If you want to try a cheesesteak at some point on your trip, don't get it at the stadium. They aren't bad, but they are not as good as ones you can find elsewhere in the city, and they are super expensive. The Chickie's and Pete's crabfries are legit, though, so if you're looking to eat something specific to the region, I'd go with that (there is a Chickie's and Pete's in right field). If you want a sit down restaurant, Harry the K's is in left field right under the scoreboard. I have never eaten there, but it always looks pretty packed close to game time/during the game, so I'd probably avoid it unless you're there very early.

If you're going to get there early, Ashburn Alley is pretty cool (it's the area with restaurants and stores that spans the entire outfield). That is where all of the unique food choices are, plus the "Wall of Fame" and mini Phillies history museum. I haven't really explored it in the past few years so I'm not 100% sure if they'd added anything to it, but if it's your first time at the stadium it might be worth checking out.

Where are you sitting?

I watched the final inning of Mets' Encore for Thursday night's game. Wow. Three one-strike-away ABs (one with a foul tip), a ricochet off Pap that bounced in an inconvenient direction, and a bloop single. Rough.

lol that's kind, i'd say a lucky ass game saving play that almost got luckier lol

Lisalverto Bonilla hurt his hand last night "horsing around with teammates" and won't be pitching in the Futures Game. This season is great.

Awesome time at the game last night. It really is a beautiful ballpark.

Thanks a lot for the info, Chris. I ate before and after getting there, so I didn't visit any of the restaurants (I probably would've liked to try Harry the K's), but I was able to spend time in Ashburn Alley during the rain delay.

It was a bummer that the crowd did not have much to cheer for outside of that three-run inning featuring Joe Blanton's heroics and Papelbon locking up the moronic streaker. I was disappointed to see the seats beginning to clear out as early as the sixth inning. But the atmosphere was brilliant. I would've loved to see a Philadelphia home run.

My friend who brought me to the game also gave me a Phillies cap and Cliff Lee t-shirt, haha.

Edited by #HelloBrooklyn

Awesome time at the game last night. It really is a beautiful ballpark.

Thanks a lot for the info, Chris. I ate before and after getting there, so I didn't visit any of the restaurants (I probably would've liked to try Harry the K's), but I was able to spend time in Ashburn Alley during the rain delay.

It was a bummer that the crowd did not have much to cheer for outside of that three-run inning featuring Joe Blanton's heroics and Papelbon locking up the moronic streaker. I was disappointed to see the seats beginning to clear out as early as the sixth inning. But the atmosphere was brilliant. I would've loved to see a Philadelphia home run.

My friend who brought me to the game also gave me a Phillies cap and Cliff Lee t-shirt, haha.

It's been like that for most of the year. I always get the sense that most of the fans are only showing up because they bought the tickets before the season and feel obligated to go. Not much excitement anymore. I suspect there will be a lot of season ticket cancellations this offseason.

Glad you had fun though!

Somewhat lost in this mind[expletive] of a season is how absurdly good Carlos Ruiz has been. I really have no words for it. Can't figure it out. A 33 year old catcher that has one previous season with an OPS over .800 suddenly turns into one of the game's elite hitters. Makes no sense.

(Don't bother answering ECN, I know exactly what you are going to say).

Also, completely unrelated to baseball, I saw Roger Waters perform The Wall last night at CBP and it literally blew my mind. Most amazing night of my life, not even a question.

Edited by Phightins

Damn, what a contract. Will no doubt keep them in contention for years to come.

Still have no idea how they plan on improving that offense though.

There are a few things they can do, but all will require some creativity.

I am a big fan of making a play for Chase Headley. We don't have the pieces to make a trade work as is, but maybe a 3 team trade involving Hunter Pence might work. Third basemen are very hard to come by and I've always been a big Headley fan. Pence will be easily replaceable this offseason via free agency (Michael Bourn, Nick Swisher, Melky Cabrera, Cody Ross, or Josh Hamilton if they are feeling adventurous).

Another idea: Call up Dom Brown already!! I suspect this will happen when Victorino and/or Pence gets traded in the next week, but they really need to give him a chance.