Philadelphia Phillies 2012

Phightins

WOW. Just read on Twitter that we are now 0-16 in games Joe Savery has appeared in this year. Mostly meaningless since he has not directly contributed to the result in most of these, but remarkable. One of the strangest stats about this season that I've seen. He hasn't been good, but hasn't been terrible either. Although, with Kendrick in the rotation, I guess Savery is the de-facto "mop-up guy"...so he comes into quite a few games where we are down early. Mind blowing.

Edited by Phightins

And because Charlie Manuel must really hate me, Jonathan Papelbon has just entered a game in which the Phillies are down 4 runs. Because he "needs work". Work which apparently can't be obtained in a tied, extra inning game on the road. Noted.

And Bastardo up in the bullpen. It would be great if the Phillies used their two best RPs today with a multi-run deficit, after trotting Savery and Schwimer out there in a tie game yesterday, wouldn't it?

Edited by Phightins

And because Charlie Manuel must really hate me, Jonathan Papelbon has just entered a game in which the Phillies are down 4 runs. Because he "needs work". Work which apparently can't be obtained in a tied, extra inning game on the road. Noted.

And Bastardo up in the bullpen. It would be great if the Phillies used their two best RPs today with a multi-run deficit, after trotting Savery and Schwimer out there in a tie game yesterday, wouldn't it?

I actually laughed when I saw Paplebon on the mound and picturing your reaction.

I actually laughed when I saw Paplebon on the mound and picturing your reaction.

Haha yes. And my reaction is actually milder than that of most Phillies fans. Not pretty.

Haha, this is just terrific. One of maybe three things I have enjoyed about this season has to have this happen to it. Splendid.

In other terrible Phillies news, David Herndon is having Tommy John surgery, Michael Stutes is going to have shoulder surgery and will probably miss the entire season, and Laynce Nix had a "set back".

And I thought we had hit rock bottom three weeks ago...

What's below rocks?

Edited by Phightins

Big week ahead! IllWill and myself attending tomorrow night, Chase Utley coming back on Wednesday.

Also IMO the trade deadline direction kind of rides on this week. I said before the homestand that 7-3 or better was absolutely necessary to keep the season afloat. To do that, they need to sweep the Pirates (4 game series). And considering some of the pitchers we will be facing, I'd say that's unlikely.

Happy to hear Amaro is taking calls about Hamels. Not saying I 100% want him traded, since I have not made my mind up yet. But it at least shows that Amaro is preparing for all possible outcomes (in other words, doing the opposite of what he did with Cliff Lee in 2009).

Happy to hear Amaro is taking calls about Hamels. Not saying I 100% want him traded, since I have not made my mind up yet. But it at least shows that Amaro is preparing for all possible outcomes (in other words, doing the opposite of what he did with Cliff Lee in 2009).

Haven't made your mind up? What's hindering the decision?

I really don't expect to get much for him. Under the new CBA, traded players that are pending free agents don't keep their Type-A status. So teams that don't think they'd be able to sign Hamels beyond this season would be way less inclined to give up much for a half-season rental. There is no reward for losing him in the offseason.

If Amaro can get a bidding war started until somebody caves, then great, he absolutely should be traded. If not, I'd rather hang on and keep pushing to sign him. Worst case is he walks and we get a couple high draft picks.