Brook sidelined at least 3 weeks

Marc Stein ‏ @ESPNSteinLine

Nets just announced Brook Lopez will miss at least three weeks w/sprained right ankle. Same foot that sidelined Lopez for first 33 games

Marc Stein ‏ @ESPNSteinLine

Don't think Lopez's two huge games last week really changed Orlando's thinking but now he's officially sidelined past March 15 trade buzzer

Well obvously, Dwight Howard is black, and Brook Lopez is Cuban.

Hahaha, yep that is the only difference between them. It's funny that Brook didn't miss a game in his first 3 years and the one year we needed him to be healthy he only plays 5 games. -_-

Certainly could have been worse.

This seems completely unrelated to the previous injury.

We'll see how Orlando handles the situation now. Should be interesting.

So it's better that he broke his foot in the preseason came back 5 games later and suffered another multi-week injury?

Yikes big men have freakish bodies no homo, better hope he don't turn into the next Yao Ming.

Really don't think this affects anything really. Magic never seemed interested in Lopez or at least the media made it seem that way. If Dwight wants to play with Deron in Brooklyn, then he will. Simple as that.

Yep, there aren't exactly a whole lot of alternatives.

So it's better that he broke his foot in the preseason came back 5 games later and suffered another multi-week injury?

Uh, it's better than what most of us thought it could turn out to be. Lopez's return to yesterday's game was changed from probable to questionable, and Avery didn't say anything about the X-rays on his ankle after the game, even though they had already been completed.

An ankle sprain sidelining him for three weeks really shouldn't have any bearing on a potential trade for Dwight.

Edited by Brooklyn Bound

• Owner

Teams can trade (or can trade for) injured players, if that's what you guys are talking about. All that has to be done is the team receiving that player must waive the physical (what would be a failed physical).

If you're talking about Orlando not wanting Lopez because of the struggles this season, then yeah, that's a different story. If they are turned off by all of this, and they still want to deal Dwight by the March 15th deadline, this does put a variable into play, regardless of what anyone else seems to think (even Dwight, for that matter).

Let's assume the Magic are ready to deal him before the deadline, rather than to lose him with nothing in return in July. Well, the main piece from the Nets is Brook Lopez. There is nothing else of value, other than picks, and we all know that only ONE of those draft picks will be of value, not the other first-rounders.

There's no doubt that the injury does make things a bit more complicated, even a little bit. A slight glimmer of uncertainty from Otis Smith only delays the process, if the Magic were looking to deal him to the Nets, and if that delay makes its way to March 16th, all of a sudden, Dallas and both LA teams open the gates for Howard in July (Dallas more than anyone else not named New Jersey).

The Nets seem to be so close, but if they don't land Howard, it can go from championship duo to NBA disaster in a matter of months, and given the circumstances, I wouldn't be able to show as much confidence if I were a fan.

Brook is a good scoring center, but he is not a franchise player. The Magic are not dying to get him. When Yao Ming first fell to injury, teams were still asking...and while it would have been a bad idea (as you can see, he's done), it only made sense because Yao was a franchise player. Lopez is your second or third option, and aside from the two injuries possibly being unrelated, it's still a growing concern any time you're prepared to deal arguably the MVP of the league AND possibly the best player you've ever had (argue Shaq) for a guy that's injured and has barely played this season, especially after you see what went down in New Orleans with Eric Gordon.

If you're talking about Orlando not wanting Lopez because of the struggles this season, then yeah, that's a different story.

This is what I was referencing. A questionable foot on a 7 footer will definitely have more than "no bearing" on the trade situation, especially after how Yao's injured foot went down. Even if the previous injury doesn't worry them long term, they'll want to see this ankle/foot thing fully healed and see that there are no lingering affects before trading their superstar franchise player for him. 5 games between extensive time missed will have a bearing on trade talks, there is no question.

Teams can trade (or can trade for) injured players, if that's what you guys are talking about. All that has to be done is the team receiving that player must waive the physical (what would be a failed physical).

If you're talking about Orlando not wanting Lopez because of the struggles this season, then yeah, that's a different story. If they are turned off by all of this, and they still want to deal Dwight by the March 15th deadline, this does put a variable into play, regardless of what anyone else seems to think (even Dwight, for that matter).

Let's assume the Magic are ready to deal him before the deadline, rather than to lose him with nothing in return in July. Well, the main piece from the Nets is Brook Lopez. There is nothing else of value, other than picks, and we all know that only ONE of those draft picks will be of value, not the other first-rounders.

There's no doubt that the injury does make things a bit more complicated, even a little bit. A slight glimmer of uncertainty from Otis Smith only delays the process, if the Magic were looking to deal him to the Nets, and if that delay makes its way to March 16th, all of a sudden, Dallas and both LA teams open the gates for Howard in July (Dallas more than anyone else not named New Jersey).

The Nets seem to be so close, but if they don't land Howard, it can go from championship duo to NBA disaster in a matter of months, and given the circumstances, I wouldn't be able to show as much confidence if I were a fan.

Brook is a good scoring center, but he is not a franchise player. The Magic are not dying to get him. When Yao Ming first fell to injury, teams were still asking...and while it would have been a bad idea (as you can see, he's done), it only made sense because Yao was a franchise player. Lopez is your second or third option, and aside from the two injuries possibly being unrelated, it's still a growing concern any time you're prepared to deal arguably the MVP of the league AND possibly the best player you've ever had (argue Shaq) for a guy that's injured and has barely played this season, especially after you see what went down in New Orleans with Eric Gordon.

I don't know why we wouldn't lack confidence? Past three years we've aimed to find a major piece to head into Brooklyn. Management missed out on Carmelo and LeBron then netted Deron. If we don't get Dwight and lose Deron, we have a top five pick and a promising bunch of young guys to build off of.

I don't think any Net fan should be disappointed but more relieved that we can start building or winning for the future.

• Owner

If we don't get Dwight and lose Deron, we have a top five pick and a promising bunch of young guys to build off of.

Unless Brooks turns into Kobe Bryant, you're basically going to be praying for that top five pick to be at least an all-star player. Even in the best drafts in league history, there's always 1-2 guys in that top five who turn out to be nothing like they are projected to be (ex. Darko, Shareef, Bowie).

I love Thomas Robinson, but if the Nets select him, that's one player that could have some trouble playing against pro players that are as athletic (or much more athletic), and then you have the Nets diving into Brooklyn with Lopez, Brooks, a struggling rookie and...?

Let me just put it this way: Deron Williams, who is a superstar and arguably the best PG in the NBA, can't even propel this Nets team into the East playoffs. Small sample size, but with Lopez, they are 2-3...and looking at the top eight teams, I'm not so sure that D-Will and Lopez could get it done.

If there's no Howard, and no Deron...personally, I would be worried sick for my team, and crossing my fingers for a draft lottery victory.

Unless Brooks turns into Kobe Bryant, you're basically going to be praying for that top five pick to be at least an all-star player. Even in the best drafts in league history, there's always 1-2 guys in that top five who turn out to be nothing like they are projected to be (ex. Darko, Shareef, Bowie).

I love Thomas Robinson, but if the Nets select him, that's one player that could have some trouble playing against pro players that are as athletic (or much more athletic), and then you have the Nets diving into Brooklyn with Lopez, Brooks, a struggling rookie and...?

Let me just put it this way: Deron Williams, who is a superstar and arguably the best PG in the NBA, can't even propel this Nets team into the East playoffs. Small sample size, but with Lopez, they are 2-3...and looking at the top eight teams, I'm not so sure that D-Will and Lopez could get it done.

If there's no Howard, and no Deron...personally, I would be worried sick for my team, and crossing my fingers for a draft lottery victory.

We don't need him to turn into Kobe Bryant. We need these players to develop into whatever potential they can reach as even Kobe Bryant can't do jack alone.

Kobe Bryant also couldn't propel the Nets into the playoffs this year. They have had a front court that was easily the worst in the entire NBA even with a top point guard. Even with that, they've had some big wins this season with a roster that should be dead last in the NBA.

I don't know what we would be worried about personally. If we don't have Deron or Dwight we still move forward. If we get them, great but even with them it's a challenge to beat some of the teams in the East... especially the Heat.

Only way to win without Dwight or Deron is to build for the future. Yes we won't have the championship in the five years stated but I'd rather our management go full out to win and strike out than build a 6th place team just to get dominated in the first round like we did with Vince.

• Owner

Only way to win without Dwight or Deron is to build for the future. Yes we won't have the championship in the five years stated but I'd rather our management go full out to win and strike out than build a 6th place team just to get dominated in the first round like we did with Vince.

What I'm saying is, to build for the future, you're going to need a big free agent to sign, or else you're telling me you'll be doing that with top draft picks...meaning, you're going to endure a few more horrible seasons. If you're okay with that, fine.

A 6th-place team? Are you talking about having Dwight and Deron? I'm pretty sure that duo would give you a top four in the East...the best center and arguably the best PG in the NBA, both playing defense. Melo and Amare, with no backcourt, no defense, and no bench...that's a much different story (just a comparison).