Nets Acquire Gerald Wallace for Okur, Williams and 2012 1st

Dash

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏ @WojYahooNBA

Portland and New Jersey are engaged in advanced talks on a deal that would send Gerald Wallace to the Nets, a league source tells Y!

Done deal:

The Nets send Okur, Shawne Williams and a 2012 draft pick protected thru No. 3, sources tell Y! Nets trying to surround Deron Williams now.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

The Nets and Blazers are "close" on a deal for Gerald Wallace, two league sources tell Y!

Edit: NVM

Edited by Dash

Nets are close to sending Mehmet Okur, Shawne Williams and a protected 1st round pick to Portland for Gerald Wallace, league sources tell Y!

Guessing the protected first is the Rockets pick. Great move for the Nets if this goes down.

The pick the Nets are sending is their own with limited protection...

The proposed 2012 draft pick the Nets would send to Blazers in Wallace deal would be protected only through the top 3 spots, sources tell Y!

Guessing the protected first is the Rockets pick. Great move for the Nets if this goes down.

Both of us seem to be wrong. Looks like New Jersey would be sending their own 1st, top 3 protected:

The proposed 2012 draft pick the Nets would send to Blazers in Wallace deal would be protected only through the top 3 spots, sources tell Y!

Awesome deal for Portland if this is in fact true.

EDIT: I think I'll just hand the Woj news posting to you and. You are always like 5 seconds ahead of me. Don't know if it is because I'm watching NCAA and that makes me late reading his updated tweets or what, but I'll just let you post his latest stuff, haha.

This reeks of desperation from Nets management. The Nets are 5 games back of the 8th spot with 22 games to go, they're not completely out of the running but they got a rough road ahead of them. Risky move.

Edit: Yeah I'm not watching the games until the deadline is over.

By the way its a done deal:

Blazers have reached agreement in principle to send Gerald Wallace to Nets for 2 players and protected 2012 1st-round pick, source tells Y!

Edited by Dash

Don't like this move for the Nets at all, G Wall past his prime, don't see how they can convice D Will to stay. They shoulda just traded him and built around Brooks, Brook, thier pick, and whatever they can get for him.

Loving getting this pick from New Jersey. Just wish we could get rid of Felton and Crawford now.

I would've been ok with just getting rid of felton. Definitely love the pick. Only top 3 protected? I'll take that in this draft.

I'm not opposed to this move. We needed immediate talent to get something going for this season. Obviously, King talked to Deron before making the deal, and Deron said yes to it. Teams knew we were desperate, and we ended up letting go of our first-rounder. Honestly, though, if it's not a top three, is it really that valuable? With the roster we have and the schedule we have, we may very well make a run for the playoffs, so the pick probably won't be that great if it's not a top three (in which case things look great). This draft class is getting weaker anyway.

I'm not opposed to this move. We needed immediate talent to get something going for this season. Obviously, King talked to Deron before making the deal, and Deron said yes to it. Teams knew we were desperate, and we ended up letting go of our first-rounder. Honestly, though, if it's not a top three, is it really that valuable? With the roster we have and the schedule we have, we may very well make a run for the playoffs, so the pick probably won't be that great if it's not a top three (in which case things look great). This draft class is getting weaker anyway.

What? lol this NBA draft class looks great, you can get a great piece all the way down at 10, right now NBA Draft net has the Nets taking Austin Rivers at 9, a great replacement for Deron.

What? lol this NBA draft class looks great, you can get a great piece all the way down at 10, right now NBA Draft net has the Nets taking Austin Rivers at 9, a great replacement for Deron.

Correction. He has the blazers taking austin rivers. Lol.

Gilchrist and Drummond have both indicated that they don't plan on declaring. And Barnes' and Sully's talents translating to the NBA are still a concern.

I didn't word my post in the best way. Still definitely a great lottery, but not as strong as it appeared a few months ago, and from the Nets' perspective, this was a necessary move for multiple reasons.

Gilchrist and Drummond have both indicated that they don't plan on declaring. And Barnes' and Sully's talents translating to the NBA are still a concern.

I didn't word my post in the best way. Still definitely a great lottery, but not as strong as it appeared a few months ago, and from the Nets' perspective, this was a necessary move for multiple reasons.

Eh idk, plenty of guys indicate they won't come out and then after the tournament here they come. Either way all lotto picks tend to give you some sort of nice talent. I don't this was necessary move at all. I believe it was a move made of desperation. They could have dealt Deron or waited till the offseason to sign and trade him or something. Dwight situation really screwed them over but that's what happens when you count on players coming, ask the Knicks. Plus no offense you always seem to side with the management of the team you are a fan of, not a bad quality but I take your opinions always to have a bit of bias, as I do with most fans.

Eh idk, plenty of guys indicate they won't come out and then after the tournament here they come. Either way all lotto picks tend to give you some sort of nice talent. I don't this was necessary move at all. I believe it was a move made of desperation. They could have dealt Deron or waited till the offseason to sign and trade him or something. Dwight situation really screwed them over but that's what happens when you count on players coming, ask the Knicks. Plus no offense you always seem to side with the management of the team you are a fan of, not a bad quality but I take your opinions always to have a bit of bias, as I do with most fans.

It was desperation, but the team intends to make a playoff run. We're 4.5 games out of eighth.

We had no intentions of trading Deron, and I'm glad that was the case. We're still trying to get him to stay, and it is by no means a given that he will leave.

The Nets are not out of the running for Dwight. Not such a far-fetched idea that some news will come up in the near future indicating the Nets have another shot at him.

No offense taken. I'm not really sure where else I sided with another one of my team's managements, but in this particular case (as already said in this post), making Deron happy is atop our priorities. That's a huge reason why I agree with it. Desperation? Yes. Necessary? In my mind, yes.