2012 NYK Offseason Thread

Carmelo Anthony, discusses the progress the New York Knicks are making at training camp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h40F2VD4L5o

Knicks, Pistons to play regular season game in London

How about this for a road trip? The New York Knicks and Detroit Pistons are traveling to London for a regular season game Jan. 17, the league confirmed Thursday. The game will be a homecoming to the O2 Arena for the Knicks Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler, who won gold there with Team USA this summer in the London Olympics (most of the games were played in “the marshmallow” but the big games moved to the big arena).

This is all part of the international branding of the NBA as the premiere basketball league in the world. So are the Olympics, even if Mark Cuban is pissed he doesn’t directly get a cut of that.

“London was the epicenter of global sports this summer, and the Olympics were a tremendous showcase for basketball,” said NBA Commissioner David Stern. “Playing our third regular-season game in the city in three years and having historic franchises like the Knicks and Pistons serve as our ambassadors provide extraordinary opportunities to further the game’s growth and development in the UK and throughout Europe.”

This is not the first time the NBA has gone to London for a regular season game, the Raptors and then New Jersey Nets played a pair there in 2011. This should at least be a better game. No details yet on where and when the game is televised. Both teams have a few days off on either side of this to keep the jet lag to a minimum.

Source

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

Hmmm....Last year Smith said, or so I heard, that he prefered coming off the bench because he had more opportunities to score and do his thing with Amar'e/Carmelo on the bench. Odd that now he wants to start.

With Brewer & Shump being injured I think starting Kidd/Smith/Melo/Amare/Chandler is the best option as of now

Edited by JYD

Chandler: Lin Unable to Run the Offense

Lin was too inexperencied

Was that someone criticizing Jeremy Lin at Knicks camp? While Knicks coach Mike Woodson has run from the Lin issue, center Tyson Chandler was blunt, saying Lin was too “inexperienced’’ and their point-guard trio of Raymond Felton-Jason Kidd-Pablo Prigioni is an upgrade over last season’s Lin-Baron Davis-Mike Bibby troika. “Baron was hurt and Jeremy was a young point guard who was just learning and figuring out an offense,” Chandler said. “It was nothing against them and it was definitely nothing against Baron. “Jeremy was a young point guard who was inexperienced, who brought a great light to the organization. But as far as being able to run the offense and putting players in the right position he just wasn’t there. We got some veteran point guards that are capable of doing that.”

My link

• 2 weeks later...

Ronnie Brewer practiced today for the first time since his surgery. Great news. He's likely our starter this year.

Until Shump is fully ready to go...no way to deny a man of that talent starter minutes.

I like Brewer starting for several reasons. One, he's a fairly consistent veteran who will give you good defensive hustle each night. Love him against most NBA 2-guards. Secondly, JR Smith can provide much needed scoring off the bench, which could be a very lackluster part of this team.

I'd still prolly roll with Brewer as a starter even when shump comes back, shump can be first guy off the bench for either amar'e melo brewer or even felton, if it's for amar'e you move melo to 4, brewer to 3. I like this teams depth, excited...

Chandler's injury against the Nest was thankfully just a bone bruise. Looked like it could have gone either way after the knee-to-knee with Wallace, wouldn't have been surprised if it was a sprain or a tear. We got lucky.

Gonna be a fun start to the season! No Amar'e or Chandler lol, I can already see this season just turning into a disaster...

Gonna be a fun start to the season! No Amar'e or Chandler lol, I can already see this season just turning into a disaster...

Chandler should be back for the first game, shouldn't he? He's being a [expletive]ing [expletive] if it's a bruise and he won't be back by Nov 1

Chandler should be back for the first game, shouldn't he? He's being a [expletive]ing [expletive] if it's a bruise and he won't be back by Nov 1

If he is he won't be 100% lol @ this [expletive] stuff, have you ever brusied your knee? Shit lol I'd be lucky to be walking right in a week after brusing my knee...

Yes, I have bruised my knee before. 2 weeks is plenty of recovery time for a bruised knee dude. It still may be sore but he's very capable of playing.

2 weeks? It'd be 8 days since the injury on November 1st, 2 weeks is a good amount of time, 1 week is alright but it's a bit rushed. again I can see him playing but no more than 15-20 minutes...if that

Edited by fish7718

Amare out a month, maybe longer... Chandler maybe missing time... Camby out as well WTH is going on?

how long on Camby? at first he was only missing the first two preseason games...now he's out for a while? wtf lol

Amar'e's loss sucks but at the same time we can still be real good without him. he's a great scorer obviously and i dont doubt he still has that ability but hes very replaceable if you have camby but with no camby or amar'e our frontline is pretty weak especially rebounding wise

One day after an MRI revealed Tyson Chandler suffered a bone bruise on his left knee, the New York Knicks center said after practice Friday that he'll "absolutely" play in the team's season opener Thursday against the Brooklyn Nets.