2012 NYK Offseason Thread

Raps signed Landry to an offer sheet with a likely 3rd year escalator. Maybe getting nervous Nash was considering us and Fields was our S&T chip?

3 years, $20M, and likely kills any S&T Nash hopes.. but holy hell is that a bad contract

Raps signed Landry to an offer sheet with a likely 3rd year escalator. Maybe getting nervous Nash was considering us and Fields was our S&T chip?

3 years, $20M, and likely kills any S&T Nash hopes.. but holy hell is that a bad contract

Yeah. Basically. Our hope for Nash is all but over. Unless a trade involves Shump. If they are willing to trade Shumpert, I think Nash is a Knick...

Yeah. Basically. Our hope for Nash is all but over. Unless a trade involves Shump. If they are willing to trade Shumpert, I think Nash is a Knick...

If they were willing to do Shumpert, Jorts, Douglas, Jordan, and Gadzuric, they could offer Nash 4 years, $42M. You'd have to think Nash would prefer that. But really.. is it worth moving Shumpert? Nash is 38 damn years old

If they were willing to do Shumpert, Jorts, Douglas, Jordan, and Gadzuric, they could offer Nash 4 years, $42M. You'd have to think Nash would prefer that. But really.. is it worth moving Shumpert? Nash is 38 damn years old

I don't think it's worth it...no. But it's not up to me.

It's up to James Dolan...

Steve Nash - G - Suns

NEWS: The Knicks and Suns are said to be working on a sign-and-trade that would bring Nash to the Knicks, which appears to be his first choice of places to play.

ANALYSIS:  This will be a very difficult deal to put together and is further complicated by the fact the Knicks don't want to include Iman Shumpert in the deal. Money talks and Toronto holds a lot of leverage on that front, but the Knicks appear to still be desperately trying to put together a deal that works for Nash. And if the Knicks can't get Nash, it looks like Jason Kidd is the next target on their list.

Alan Hahn

Steve Nash, meanwhile, and the Knicks are working with the Suns to complete a sign-and-trade deal that would bring Nash to New York. Indications are the Knicks are his top choice, but because a trade is complicated (and there is great hesitation to give up Iman Shumpert), the Raptors are in play. A lot of effort has been made, however, to get this done.

Alan Hahn

Meanwhile, should a Nash deal fall through, Knicks have made it clear to Jason Kidd that he is their target with the MLE ($3.09M). While a Kidd-Lin tandem is still solid, it removes a chance to land Marcus Camby to bolster the frontcourt depth.

Alan Hahn

Nash/Shumpert debate: Pro: Melo, Amar'e, Tyson have 3 year window in their prime to go for it. Nash, even at 38, is one of best PGs in NBA and can maximize offensive talents. Shump won't play until at least January and no guaranatee he'll be 100 percent by playoffs. Con: Shumpert has all-star potential and is a great perimeter defender, which is rare to find and if championship isn't realized, you lose another first round pick (Wilson, Gallo).

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Yet as one source familiar w/NYK thinking told ESPN: "They don't want to trade (Shumpert), but they will if they have to. They want Nash."

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

NY package would include Iman Shumpert, Toney Douglas and likely 3 low money players to get Nash salary needed to close gap on Toronto offer

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Knicks' dream scenario, sources say, to sign-and-trade for Nash AND re-sign Jeremy Lin if they can

All of that was interesting for sure.

Nash move including Shumpert is a major risk...Knicks would be a pretty horrible defensive team without Shumpert, and especially with Nash and Lin in the backcourt. I'm assuming they'd play those two a lot of times together, especially if Lin is as good as last season (and let's not forget Lin is a scoring PG, and was a 2 guard in College)...

Also, how would Nash blend with Melo? I think Amar'e would be a seamless tranisition (we already know how they played together for years in PHX) and Chandler should be no issue. What about Carmelo Anthony? Needs the ball in his hands to play his game, as we saw the last month of the season under Woodson. With Nash dominating the ball, where does that put Carmelo Anthony? It's a legitimate question IMO.

Small sidenote question...is Novak coming back? What about JR Smith? What is their status? I hear nothing about them anymore...

Nash move including Shumpert is a major risk...Knicks would be a pretty horrible defensive team without Shumpert

Shumpert isn't even a guarantee to be ready for this year, though.. Nash fits the 3 year, win-now window that we have. I'd LOVE to keep Shump, but if you NEED to give him for Nash, you do it.

Also, how would Nash blend with Melo? I think Amar'e would be a seamless tranisition (we already know how they played together for years in PHX) and Chandler should be no issue. What about Carmelo Anthony? Needs the ball in his hands to play his game, as we saw the last month of the season under Woodson. With Nash dominating the ball, where does that put Carmelo Anthony? It's a legitimate question IMO.

When Melo wants to go Iso, Nash becomes a spot up shooter (and he's one of the best in the league).

Small sidenote question...is Novak coming back? What about JR Smith? What is their status? I hear nothing about them anymore...

To be determined after the big chips fall first, I'm sure.

If you do give up Shumpert, Smith and Novak become necessities for two major reasons.

A. Nash penetrate and kick to Novak in the corner would be lethal...oh the thoughts of that. :D

B. Smith would be our best perimeter defender. Without Shumpert, Smith becomes an extremely valuable defensive player and rebounding guard.

True story. But they need Nash first. I'm sure if they land him, they'll move quickly to piece up the rest of the roster.

Imagine trading for Nash, birding up Lin and Novak, re-signing JR at his 20% raise, and splitting the full MLE between Grant Hill and Marcus Camby? We'd be way over the luxury tax and unable to sign anyone else or make a trade increasing our payroll, but still.. that team would be so nasty haha

I could do without Hill, Camby has far more value to this team IMO.

Agree with rest. :glasses:

Just realized...I'm going to be extremely disappointed if none of that happens, lol.

We'd need a backup 2/3 with Landry gone, though we just signed a guy from the Italian league for a min contract..

James White? I read about him, and from what I read, his game resembles Shumpert...which kind of leads me to believe Knicks are leaning towards the S&T.

And Landry is easily replaceable, lol.

James White? I read about him, and from what I read, his game resembles Shumpert...which kind of leads me to believe Knicks are leaning towards the S&T.

And Landry is easily replaceable, lol.

Maybe, 28 MPG is never 'easily replaceable' to me tho...Landry may have sucked in some areas but he was still 6'7 decent defender, solid passer, good around the rim.

Edited by fish7718

Maybe, 28 MPG is never 'easily replaceable' to me tho...Landry may have sucked in some areas but he was still 6'7 decent defender, solid passer, good around the rim.

His MPG in that 18-6 stretch under Woodson were limited.