2012 NYK Offseason Thread

Smith played the most important minutes in the 4th quarter. It was obvious he had fallen out of favor with Mike Woodson, and rightfully so. He's a mediocre defender (he's slow, but has size), and cannot shoot from three, mid range, or from the foul line. He's good in transition and around the rim, but that isn't even the Knicks system anymore anyway. We know they are going to play slow and give the ball to Melo on the block, and go from there. He is of no fit and will be easily replaceable. There are many guys out there that can average 10 ppg and 5 rpg.

Smith played the most important minutes in the 4th quarter. It was obvious he had fallen out of favor with Mike Woodson, and rightfully so. He's a mediocre defender (he's slow, but has size), and cannot shoot from three, mid range, or from the foul line. He's good in transition and around the rim, but that isn't even the Knicks system anymore anyway. We know they are going to play slow and give the ball to Melo on the block, and go from there. He is of no fit and will be easily replaceable. There are many guys out there that can average 10 ppg and 5 rpg.

You're making arguments that I either concede or don't care about. My only point is your replacing a guy who played 28 mpg last year, obviously if we had anything to fill his role if he was that bad it would have been done. Stop downplaying it like we can sign anyone in FA to do it, cause we didn't do that last year. Better just pray we don't get stuck with a Billy Walker filling that role.

Edited by fish7718

Why would Bill Walker be any worse? What did Fields do that makes you think not any other NBA 2 guard can do that in 28 MPG. He averaged 8 PPG, 4 RPG, and shot 46% from the field and 25% from 3 point range. And you're telling me there are no 2 guards out there that can do that? Lol please

Why would Bill Walker be any worse? What did Fields do that makes you think not any other NBA 2 guard can do that in 28 MPG. He averaged 8 PPG, 4 RPG, and shot 46% from the field and 25% from 3 point range. And you're telling me there are no 2 guards out there that can do that? Lol please

lol k

With Nash going to LA, Kidd on the verge of re-signing with the Mavs, Landry leaving for far too much money in Toronto, no news on the Novak/JR front, and Lin getting a backloaded contract offer from the Rockets (real clever, [expletive] tards).. this offseason has the potential to be real shitty.

Loved Felton when he was here the first time. Not sure how he'll be here now...he is a few years older, and seemed to be out of shape last year. Plus, his role will be changed.

He would make an awesome backup to Lin though...I'm so sick of us getting FA's that are like 100 (Baron Davis, Mike Bibby, etc.)

Knicks Emerge As Favorite To Land Marcus Camby

Jul 08, 2012 11:41 AM EDT

The Knicks are favorites to land Marcus Camby, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Camby postponed a scheduled meeting with the Heat on Saturday in order to allow the Rockets to work on a sign-and-trade that would send the 38-year-old center to New York.

The Knicks are also working a sign-and-trade for Jason Kidd, who agreed to join the team earlier this week.

Source

Great news, only troubling part, "Knicks emerge as favorite" was also used for Nash

I've always been a big fan of Camby...great help defender, rebounder and very underrated passer. However, with Fields gone and Shumpert likely to miss a good chunk of the season due to his torn ACL, I would have probably focused on solidifying the wing positions before going after Camby. Still, he would be a great addition to the Knicks.

Great news on the Novak front. He's vital to the teams success. He wasn't a factor in the playoffs, but with a healthy Lin and Kidd, he will get great looks from 3.

Knicks need to solidify the extension with JR or work a sign and trade with Mayo, that SG position is weakkkk

I think the extension is coming. He can't sign until July 11, right? If he can sign before than, I'm not sure what they are waiting for. I rather have JR than OJ Mayo. Just my opinion though.

I rather have JR than OJ Mayo. Just my opinion though.

Yeah I like JR more too, but I just want one of them lol. JR is longer and can defend the 2 and the 3, because he's quick. Though Mayo can probably play a little 1/2, but that's not as much of an issue with Kidd around. I think a 2/3 is a better fit, JR knows the team, is a better defender, etc.

Yeah I like JR more too, but I just want one of them lol. JR is longer and can defend the 2 and the 3, because he's quick. Though Mayo can probably play a little 1/2, but that's not as much of an issue with Kidd around. I think a 2/3 is a better fit, JR knows the team, is a better defender, etc.

He's also a good rebounder for his position as well. And he is definitely an underrated defender...and we will need all the perimeter defending we can get with Shumpert out.

I think Shumpert will be out a lot later than January...just like they said Baron Davis would be back late January last year, he didn't play until, what, March? I don't see Shumpert being back until February at the earliest, probably more like the beginning of March.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Camby has agreed to a three year, $13.2 million deal with the Knicks, source tells Y! The final year includes a partial guarantee.

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

Rockets and Knicks have agreed on sign and trade sending Marcus Camby to New York, league sources confirm.

PG: Lin/Kidd

SG: --Empty-- / -- Empty -- (Shumpert in January)

SF: Anthony/Novak

PF: Stoudemire/ --Empty--

C: Chandler/Camby

So we really have 3 slots to fill at this point

2nd PF it's probable we can get Jeffries back on vet min, he's fine for that spot IMO, plus Melo can slide up and play 4 sometimes

As for the 2 SG slots I have no clue, we have the one guy, James White, hopefully he and Shumpert and I'm assuming we will only be able to sign one more guard, hopefully those 3 will be enough to fill that role. We also might see a little Kidd-Lin lineup obviously getting JR back would be a perfect scnerio

PG: Lin/Kidd

SG: JR/Shumpert/White

SF: Anthony/Novak

PF: Amar'e/Jeffries

C: Chandler/Camby

That's a solid roster to go to war with. Obviously we are not Miami or Brooklyn with Dwight but we have enough defense in the right places where can give teams a series if we are on top of our game...

We are just as good as Brooklyn with Dwight if JR Smith resigns and Shumpert is healthy come playoff time.

I'll take them on in a seven game series with both rosters equally healthy. Why not? Our supporting cast is better than theirs, and the big three is only slightly better than the Knicks big three (depending which Amar'e we get next year...I think with Lin and Kidd, we will get a pretty good one 20/8 on 50%FG I will take it).

Amazing how much this roster has changed since LAST July. Just think about it. Only guys we had were Carmelo and Stoudemire, Shumpert out of 12 guys.

Assuming Jeffries will resign, we still need to find some young talent in summer league / F.A. If we can find some decent hustle / energy guys to back up the 2 and 3, I think we are going to be good.

I've read some good things on this James White guy...I'm interested to see how he is.

I heard we are trying to work a sign and trade for Dahntay Jones...not sure if its true or possible tho..

He'd be great to have until Shumpert returns...he's a good defender and can hit the three ball.

Heard DeShawne Stevenson is a possibility at the VET MIN.