L.A. Lakers @ Cleveland

lol, alright, just to clear something up... when people like to use the Magic sweeping the Lakers last year as an example that the regular season doesn't matter, well in my opinion it does matter because in those two games that the Magic beat the Lakers, Jameer was playing at full health and scored 20+ points in each game and made clutch shots late in the game. And we all know he rushed back from injury to play in the finals and clearly wasn't the same player. Not saying we definitely would've won but we might've, seeing as how big Jameer was for us in those regular season games.

They should be excited....

Just as the Magic were last season ;)

Weren't Laker fans leaning on the fact that the beat the Cavs twice last year all season when the Kobe/LeBron finals talk was on?

Well I think the Cavs can be the same way when they sweep the Lakers.

Uh, actually, he didn't get owned defending LeBron. He contested a couple of shots, making him miss on a strongly-contested three as well, after he caught fire. Stop watching SportsCenter highlights and looking at boxscores. Haha, nice to pick up one blocking foul, though...LOL did you see Kobe drop that jumper on LeBron's face? Guess that means LeBron is getting old... :rolleyes:

Houston was a terrific defensive team last season, but LA isn't this year? The Rockets were 4th, defensively, while this year's Lakers are currently ranked 2nd.

No, Kobe doesn't post up with both of our seven-footers in the game. You're dead wrong. He takes the post when one is out. If you think he posts up with both in the game, you might need to read up more on the triangle offense.

And don't call me sweetheart. I don't swing that way.

Oh really? Alright since you are obviously smarter than Phil Jackson regarding matchups why didn’t Kobe play this “good defense” on LeBron all game? Yeah I saw that Kobe jumper, I also saw Kobe miss nearly 20 shots shooting 12-31 for 31 points. Cleveland turned him into a volume shooter. The amount of positive plays Kobe made off the dribble can be counted on one hand. In fact there aren’t even any memorable enough to come to mind. His entire game consisted of posting up and getting owned by the help defense, and shooting jump shots. LeBron on the other hand won this game with his play off the dribble including the easy lay-up with the game tied 87-87 where he blew right by the entire “LA #2 ranked defense”. LeBron showed who the best player in the NBA is.

And Houston of last year easily > LA this year defensively. Ron Artest looks really bulky and sluggish this year. He is clearly a downgrade from Trevor Ariza as he isn’t nearly as quick and disruptive forcing turnovers. Ron Artest doesn’t even look half as good as he did last year defensively. Andrew Bynum needs to learn how to play defense without fouling and Gasol got destroyed by Shaq last night. Kobe is nice when he tries, but he is often guarding someone like Michael Pietrus on the three point line who just stands there and waits for his shot. Fisher tries, but he is no match for fast point guards. I don't think it's any question that last year's Houston team is superior to this year's version of the Lakers on defense.

The only time Kobe doesn’t post up is when he’s on the same side of the court as Bynum…..

Also, feel free to come to the Sixers forum and trash them any time you'd like. It's not like you'll be hurting any feelings, we trash them plenty ourselves.

Edited by Phightins

• Owner

Please, please read this entire post. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Oh really? Alright since you are obviously smarter than Phil Jackson regarding matchups why didn’t Kobe play this “good defense” on LeBron all game? Yeah I saw that Kobe jumper, I also saw Kobe miss nearly 20 shots shooting 12-31 for 31 points. Cleveland turned him into a volume shooter. The amount of positive plays Kobe made off the dribble can be counted on one hand. In fact there aren’t even any memorable enough to come to mind. His entire game consisted of posting up and getting owned by the help defense, and shooting jump shots. LeBron on the other hand won this game with his play off the dribble including the easy lay-up with the game tied 87-87 where he blew right by the entire “LA #2 ranked defense”. LeBron showed who the best player in the NBA is.

Uh, Kobe didn't play LeBron all game because he's barely able to play to begin with. I don't know if you've been watching the NBA at all this season, but Bryant was laying on his back with spasms just the other night, and he's been doing more with his off-hand than he ever has.

Now let me educate you a little more, since I feel like this is my job.

Kobe's shot chart against the Cavs, Clippers, Mavs and Spurs (recent games with injury):

http://i50.tinypic.com/29m2jiw.jpghttp://i45.tinypic.com/qrgruo.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2qxqex5.jpghttp://i45.tinypic.com/zv33mc.jpg

Now, because you obviously don't watch Lakers games, maybe these will help. Do you see anything repetitive in those four shot charts? No, you don't. They are completely different. Bryant has been shooting from everywhere on the floor, a lot in two of those games, and much less in the other two, from the perimeter, the paint, the post, and everywhere else on the floor. Stating that he's been getting pushed into forcing long jumpers every game is inaccurate, and it proves to me you are pulling whatever you can out of your hat just to rile up Lakers fans. Big no-no if you're going to discuss THIS sport with me.

You want to know what "old man" Bryant did last night? He started the first half going 8-16 from the floor. He went into the locker room, got hit on the hand on a foul that put him at the line for two free throws (this was around the 7-8 minute mark in the third), and he started bricking everything since...up until the old man hit two frees, then a jumper, to tie the game up at 87 before Gasol failed to connect on both of his free throws, and Ron Artest ruined a rebound by hooking Varejao.

Would you like to know what he did in that Dallas game? Kobe is the guy that hit the go-ahead shot that put the Lakers up for good, with 28 seconds left in the game, after shooting just one shot in the first half (which is uncharacteristic of him to begin with). He has hit three game-winners as well, most in the league. The old man you're telling us about...

And Houston of last year easily > LA this year defensively. Ron Artest looks really bulky and sluggish this year. He is clearly a downgrade from Trevor Ariza as he isn’t nearly as quick and disruptive forcing turnovers. Ron Artest doesn’t even look half as good as he did last year defensively. Andrew Bynum needs to learn how to play defense without fouling and Gasol got destroyed by Shaq last night. Kobe is nice when he tries, but he is often guarding someone like Michael Pietrus on the three point line who just stands there and waits for his shot. Fisher tries, but he is no match for fast point guards. I don't think it's any question that last year's Houston team is superior to this year's version of the Lakers on defense.

According to allowed eFG%, Artest is the better defender at both the two and the three, primary and secondary positions. In fact, at the three, Artest is allowing an eFG% of just 42.2%. Without looking at many other players, I can say that's probably one of the best in the league.

2009 Rockets

opponent FG%: 44.4%

opponent 3PT%: 35.7%

Houston steals per game: 6.68

Houston defensive rebounds per game: 32.5

LA blocks per game: 4.33

points allowed per 100 possessions: 104.0

2010 Lakers

opponent FG%: 43.6%

opponent 3PT%: 31%

LA steals per game: 7.62

LA defensive rebounds per game: 33.3

LA blocks per game: 4.98

points allowed per 100 possessions: 101.3

Better do your research next time, sir.

The only time Kobe doesn’t post up is when he’s on the same side of the court as Bynum…..

LMAO...so he does when he's on the same side as Gasol? In the triangle offense, huh? 12-15 feet spacing, and he gets in the post? :lol: Ever seen the triangle actually set up on the floor? Do you know what it looks like? Would you like to tune in to a Lakers game and watch how many screens Gasol sets for Bryant? Want to explain how a screen sits Bryant in the post position? Do you even know what you're saying?

Also, feel free to come to the Sixers forum and trash them any time you'd like. It's not like you'll be hurting any feelings, we trash them plenty ourselves.

No need to.

• Like 1

I have to leave now and will respond to the technical stuff later when I get more time, but I take issue with you saying I "don't watch games" and am "only doing this to rile up the fans". False and false.

• Owner

I have to leave now and will respond to the technical stuff later when I get more time, but I take issue with you saying I "don't watch games" and am "only doing this to rile up the fans". False and false.

Don't even reply, because there's nothing to discuss. I've got about ten times more where that came from, so don't end up like Diesel and get embarrassed thinking you know more about this Lakers team than I do. I don't discuss baseball with you, just like you shouldn't act like you know more about this team.

Don't even reply, because there's nothing to discuss. I've got about ten times more where that came from, so don't end up like Diesel and get embarrassed thinking you know more about this Lakers team than I do. I don't discuss baseball with you, just like you shouldn't act like you know more about this team.

Where did I say I know more about the Lakers than you? I am simply pointing out some of my observations. I happen to think LeBron James is better than Kobe Bryant. Well, so do a bunch of other people. I am not embarrassed at all, I stand by what I said. Also, there is plenty to discuss. I also realize that this is a futile fight, since I can't recall one instance of you changing your opinion on something or admitting you are wrong, but that is the beauty of arguing sports. You telling me I am not allowed to post my opinions or civilly argue with you is hypocritical on so many levels and goes against everything you claim to want OTR to stand for. But I guess the rules are a bit different when it comes to discussing Kobe Bryant.

Edited by Phightins
  • Like 2

• Owner

Where did I say I know more about the Lakers than you? I am simply pointing out some of my observations. I happen to think LeBron James is better than Kobe Bryant. Well, so do a bunch of other people. I am not embarrassed at all, I stand by what I said. Also, there is plenty to discuss. I also realize that this is a futile fight, since I can't recall one instance of you changing your opinion on something or admitting you are wrong, but that is the beauty of arguing sports. You telling me I am not allowed to post my opinions or civilly argue with you is hypocritical on so many levels and goes against everything you claim to want OTR to stand for. But I guess the rules are a bit different when it comes to discussing Kobe Bryant.

Would you stop throwing temper-tantrums about "what OTR stands for" and "the rules being stretched" all the time? That's getting so damn annoying. You came in here, stated you were happy to see the Lakers lose. I played your role, and then I laid all of your claims to rest with facts. Observations, or stats?

You're the one sitting in here telling people Kobe is getting old, and that it's evident in the way he plays...yet he's shooting over 46%, putting up over 28 points per, turning the ball over less (or as much) than he did when he was winning championships with Shaq, and doing it all with a tear in his shooting index finger, two dislocations, an injured hamstring and back spasms, something no other player in the NBA could probably do.

If you want to talk about being ridiculous, there it is. We lost a game. We're still the best team in the NBA, stats say we're an excellent defensive team, Kobe is still an MVP candidate, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Here are some pics I took:

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs126.snc3/17376_442249650295_786850295_10650599_7449856_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs126.snc3/17376_442249630295_786850295_10650598_4197741_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs146.snc3/17376_442249610295_786850295_10650596_5199840_n.jpg

• Like 2

Would you stop throwing temper-tantrums about "what OTR stands for" and "the rules being stretched" all the time? That's getting so damn annoying. You came in here, stated you were happy to see the Lakers lose. I played your role, and then I laid all of your claims to rest with facts. Observations, or stats?

You're the one sitting in here telling people Kobe is getting old, and that it's evident in the way he plays...yet he's shooting over 46%, putting up over 28 points per, turning the ball over less (or as much) than he did when he was winning championships with Shaq, and doing it all with a tear in his shooting index finger, two dislocations, an injured hamstring and back spasms, something no other player in the NBA could probably do.

If you want to talk about being ridiculous, there it is. We lost a game. We're still the best team in the NBA, stats say we're an excellent defensive team, Kobe is still an MVP candidate, and there's nothing you can do about it.

That is such a cop-out. You are discrediting my opinions before I even post them because in your mind I do not know what I am talking about. It's fine that you feel the way you do about Kobe Bryant, many people agree with you, just as I am sure many agree with me. That is the beauty of arguing sports. But the way you are manipulating this is pretty laughable, and you do it ALL the time. I now realize why most arguments with you end after 2 or 3 posts (if the thread isn't locked before that). So yes, you are going against what you claim OTR is. If you find that annoying, tough [expletive], but it is the truth.

If His Greatnesss or N4S or any of a variety of other guys would have posted the same things I did, would you respond the same way? Well, you probably wouldn't since I know you respect all of their basketball knowledge, but I do know you'd find some other way to drag them down to make them look like fools and make you look like you come out on top.

I will reply to your most recent Kobe-related post as soon as I can sit down at the computer for a solid 20 minutes, so don't take this as me quitting that debate.

• Like 1

• Owner

That is such a cop-out. You are discrediting my opinions before I even post them because in your mind I do not know what I am talking about. It's fine that you feel the way you do about Kobe Bryant, many people agree with you, just as I am sure many agree with me. That is the beauty of arguing sports. But the way you are manipulating this is pretty laughable, and you do it ALL the time. I now realize why most arguments with you end after 2 or 3 posts (if the thread isn't locked before that). So yes, you are going against what you claim OTR is. If you find that annoying, tough [expletive], but it is the truth.

If His Greatnesss or N4S or any of a variety of other guys would have posted the same things I did, would you respond the same way? Well, you probably wouldn't since I know you respect all of their basketball knowledge, but I do know you'd find some other way to drag them down to make them look like fools and make you look like you come out on top.

I will reply to your most recent Kobe-related post as soon as I can sit down at the computer for a solid 20 minutes, so don't take this as me quitting that debate.

LOL, how are you going to argue against the defensive numbers I posted? I gave you almost every important category, defensively, showing that the Lakers are a better overall defensive team than those Rockets, yet you still have an opinion? What's your opinion, that you observed it?

I really don't give a [expletive] if you think LeBron is better. It's arguable...never said it wasn't. I just don't like you walking into a topic, calling Bryant old and worn out, ignoring his injuries and his impressive shooting numbers over the entire season to date. That's ignorance on your part, and I actually like telling people we have some of the most intelligent members on OTR.

Threads are locked after 2-3 posts of debating, huh? Give me a couple, since you're still trying to backseat moderate here. Otherwise, drop your accusations. You're getting as bad as your boy Diesel.

If Mason or Paul replied, I wouldn't mind, because they usually talk basketball. You don't. Almost 45% of your posts come out of the baseball forum (nearly 700). Instead, you show your face during a loss (just like Diesel used to do) and make a one-liner comment, eventually followed by a post bashing arguably the best player in the NBA, followed by a "sweetheart" comment that, yes, only Diesel would make.

Real talk? Don't even reply. I've already checked your IP address, just because I figured you let Matt borrow your account. That's how different you are. Just don't act like you're going to be the one to gain support from all the members here, because most see what you did in this topic, and see your whining and complaining throughout the forums. If they need to see more of it, I'll quote every single one since reopening the site, and maybe that will open your eyes as well.

Now I'm sure you'll reply to this specific post, discussing how I talk down on you and do it to everyone else, how I disregard you trying to debate the topic, how I downplay your NBA knowledge, whatever gains support from anyone else. I already know. You do it all the time. Get over it. People will post here, no matter what your opinion is, and as of today, there's only one person that's having problems with me on OTR, and you're just the second member doing this since the Eagles lost, ironically.

Hey B, I see you brought up Kobes injurys. How can we expect him to get better if he keeps playing through these injurys? You cant really assume these injurys will heal themselves. Its a shame cause he was shooting around 50 % and leading the league in scoring when the season started, now hes just shooting terrible percentages. Are we going to see him go 12-31 in playoff games this year? Because I think thats going to be a disaster.

• Owner

Hey B, I see you brought up Kobes injurys. How can we expect him to get better if he keeps playing through these injurys? You cant really assume these injurys will heal themselves. Its a shame cause he was shooting around 50 % and leading the league in scoring when the season started, now hes just shooting terrible percentages. Are we going to see him go 12-31 in playoff games this year? Because I think thats going to be a disaster.

He just shot 50% against the Clippers on the 15th, 45-46% against the Mavericks before that, and 70% against the Spurs.

If he gets surgery on that finger, he's done for a month, maybe longer...and we easily lose home court advantage against the East powerhouses.

Uh, Kobe didn't play LeBron all game because he's barely able to play to begin with. I don't know if you've been watching the NBA at all this season, but Bryant was laying on his back with spasms just the other night, and he's been doing more with his off-hand than he ever has.

Kobe's 1000 games played is finally taking it's toll on him and he is becoming brittle with all of these injuries. Better order that LeBron jersey soon! :)

Now let me educate you a little more, since I feel like this is my job.

Kobe's shot chart against the Cavs, Clippers, Mavs and Spurs (recent games with injury) :

http://i50.tinypic.com/29m2jiw.jpghttp://i45.tinypic.com/qrgruo.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2qxqex5.jpghttp://i45.tinypic.com/zv33mc.jpg

Now, because you obviously don't watch Lakers games, maybe these will help. Do you see anything repetitive in those four shot charts? No, you don't. They are completely different. Bryant has been shooting from everywhere on the floor, a lot in two of those games, and much less in the other two, from the perimeter, the paint, the post, and everywhere else on the floor. Stating that he's been getting pushed into forcing long jumpers every game is inaccurate, and it proves to me you are pulling whatever you can out of your hat just to rile up Lakers fans. Big no-no if you're going to discuss THIS sport with me.

How about a shot chart for his game against the Magic on Monday? LA was a superior team without him on the floor and that’s when LA made it’s big run with Shannon Brown and Jordan Farmar leading the Lakers to victory.

Anyway here is his shot chart from that game where he shot an atrocious 4-19 to complete your collection.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/philsphan1210/KobeShotChart.png

So yeah, a shot chart is supposed to show me he doesn't post up? Posting up doesn't only mean shots around the basket, it can culminate in free throws, shots at the basket, and players can post up 10 ft away as well.

You want to know what "old man" Bryant did last night? He started the first half going 8-16 from the floor. He went into the locker room, got hit on the hand on a foul that put him at the line for two free throws (this was around the 7-8 minute mark in the third), and he started bricking everything since...up until the old man hit two frees, then a jumper, to tie the game up at 87 before Gasol failed to connect on both of his free throws, and Ron Artest ruined a rebound by hooking Varejao.

Would you like to know what he did in that Dallas game? Kobe is the guy that hit the go-ahead shot that put the Lakers up for good, with 28 seconds left in the game, after shooting just one shot in the first half (which is uncharacteristic of him to begin with). He has hit three game-winners as well, most in the league. The old man you're telling us about...

Kobe had a good first half against Cleveland. Nowhere did I say he didn’t. However I am going to look at the big picture here including his 4-15 shooting 2nd half. Only 4 more misses and he would have matched the Orlando game! Kobe was healthy enough to play through the injury so I don’t want to hear it. If he’s so hurt he can sit out. However I’m not giving him a break because of it. It’s part of the game.

According to allowed eFG%, Artest is the better defender at both the two and the three, primary and secondary positions. In fact, at the three, Artest is allowing an eFG% of just 42.2%. Without looking at many other players, I can say that's probably one of the best in the league.

2009 Rockets

opponent FG%: 44.4%

opponent 3PT%: 35.7%

Houston steals per game: 6.68

Houston defensive rebounds per game: 32.5

LA blocks per game: 4.33

points allowed per 100 possessions: 104.0

2010 Lakers

opponent FG%: 43.6%

opponent 3PT%: 31%

LA steals per game: 7.62

LA defensive rebounds per game: 33.3

LA blocks per game: 4.98

points allowed per 100 possessions: 101.3

Better do your research next time, sir.

Effective Field goal%? Not even the NBA cares about that stat. I don’t rely on statistics when I’m talking about defense. The only evaluation tool I use is my eyes. I have seen both Ron Artest and Trevor Ariza and their roles with the Lakers. Trevor Ariza is quicker and more disruptive. This is a fact. As someone who actually watches the games (if you can believe that!) I can confirm this. Effective field goal %? That takes all kinds nonsense into account such as a guy missing a wide open jumper and other things that the defender doesn’t affect at all. I wouldn’t be so quick to pull “Effective Field Goal %” when deciding who’s a better defender. Settle down there John Hollinger. But still give me the Rockets everytime. Show me these stats at the end of the year after LA doesn’t have 75% of their games at Staples and then we’ll see if they keep that up.

LMAO...so he does when he's on the same side as Gasol? In the triangle offense, huh? 12-15 feet spacing, and he gets in the post? :lol: Ever seen the triangle actually set up on the floor? Do you know what it looks like? Would you like to tune in to a Lakers game and watch how many screens Gasol sets for Bryant? Want to explain how a screen sits Bryant in the post position? Do you even know what you're saying?

Yup it isn’t out of the question for this year's Kobe. Did I not recall the point in the Orlando game where Kobe posted up and then Gasol came over with a pick and then Kobe passed it to Gasol for an easy bucket? One of the few good plays by Kobe in that game.

Better late than never, eh?

Edited by Phightins

• Owner

We're talking post ups to get his points, not post ups to run plays in the triangle. I figured that was crystal clear, but I guess not.

Kobe doesn't have an excuse as to why he's shooting poorly? Haha, I'm guessing he didn't have an excuse as to why he had to change up a dunk attempt to a layup on a wide-open fast break against the Knicks tonight, right? Did your eyes happen to see that?

And yeah, brush off those stats. Those mean nothing, haha. That's what people do when they have no answers. You can just SEE the defense is better...haha, okay. I gave you more than just eFG% allowed, also...gave you quite a bit. You still ignored it all. Good call, and a wise decision on your part.

If he's so hurt he can sit out.

LOL...like he should've done tonight, right? After having a bad first half, he actually ended the game scoring 13 of his 27 in the fourth, leading the way after we were down by two at the end of the third.

Nice job pointing out a play in which Bryant went to the post, took a screen and dished it off. The Lakers tend to ditch the triangle sometimes. Have you seen LeBron become a decoy on offense? Yes. That doesn't mean it's his primary role on the team, or something he goes to all the time. Bryant was a top three in post scoring earlier in the season, despite being a guard. Since Gasol's return, do you think that's the case now? He's posting up a lot less than he did back in November. Every Lakers fan will tell you that, and if you need a big slap in the face, go register at a Lakers board and simply ask them.

If you're going to look at the "bigger picture" when debating me, I suggest you take all things into consideration, including stats that make your argument look foolish, and injuries you would apply to any other player not named Kobe Bryant. You're way in over your head.

Kobe is a professional athlete. If he is out on the floor I am expecting his A-game. Even Kobe has said in interviews.

”Injuries don’t affect me,” he said. “I’m not going to sit here and say I’ve got a [bad] knee, I’ve got a [bad] finger. I’m fine. I’m more than fine. I always keep playing.”

There you have it. Kobe himself said he is fine and the injuries don’t affect him. I will take Kobe’s word over some guy on the internet. Kobe doesn’t expect there to be any excuses and neither should anyone else. Kobe is getting old. With his back, knee, constant finger injuries we are seeing the toll of 1000 NBA games played plus all the playoff games.

And are my eyes playing games on me? Is this “Real Deal” complaining about someone ignoring points. Even if I was Goro from Mortal Combat I wouldn’t be able to count the times Real Deal ignored someones points on my fingers. Let’s take a look at just one of yours posts in this very thread.

-Failure to counter argue anything about LeBron wrecking the Lakers in last nights game.

- Failure to accept that Kobe made zero plays off the dribble in last nights game.

-Completely ignoring the recent streak of games when you ignored the terrible Orlando game and still having no mention of it whatsoever.

Only looking at one of your posts too, for the record, this is a common Real Deal occurrence. You get the point, and you do this in EVERY argument. So I'd say you are the pot calling the kettle black.

Effective FG% was all I needed to see to be able to tell you were stretching things. Once again let’s see how LA fares against those Houston Rockets at the end of the year when their ratio of home/road games is evened out. Also Houston’s defensive rating is actually better this year with Ariza instead of Artest too. See anyone can pull some weird defensive stat to help their argument. Also just in Lakers defensive rating is 101 while Houston of last year was 104! Owned!!! Yeah now you can see why using stats from a season that is only halfway through is laughable in its own right.

Wow Kobe had a good 4th quarter tonight! CALL THE PRESSES! He shot 8-24 which is 33% from the field. But wait they had to be playing a good defensive team right? Nope they played the No D’Antoni Knicks. Great Job Kobe allow me to finish you off for your amazing 33% shooting performance.

Kobe is posting up even now with Gasol more than any other guard in the league has in a long time. It is apparent that Kobe has lost his quickness off of the dribble and he is now a jump shooter trying to emulate what Jordan did in the late 90’s although he isn’t nearly as good. He isn’t being able to get to the rim as easily anymore and he is looking old. Kobe Bryant has turned into a volume scorer needing 20+ shots to get 20+ points. I am looking forward to the moment the refs stop fellating him however and don’t save him by sending him to the line. The Danilo foul was laughable tonight.

But I'd say this is probably my final post on this subject. It is a futile argument considering I am arguing with "Kobe's uncle".

Phigtins has valid criticism of Kobe's game and the Laker weaknesses, but then he gets unnecessarily personal in calling Kobe an old man, and loses some validity by only bringing observation and tossing stats.

Kobe is not scoring off the dribble. True. But he's facing the Boston zone scheme so he is better off setting up teammates. The argument that needs to be made is that Bryant needs to shoot far less and pass far more. He is getting caught in the trust issues again. Until he can consistently shoot with the splint he needs to pick his spots, draw the D and kick. LA did a much better job of that as a team vs. the Knicks and nailed a ton of uncontested 3s as a result.

On a club with maturity issues for Bynum and confidence issues for Gasol both bigs need the ball more. Which means Bryant has to take less shots, particularly when he's this inefficient. Kobe needs to accept that his fga should drop if his shot is this unreliable. Ease up slightly on the shots until the broken finger gets stronger.

As to the Laker defense. efg overrewards 3s. Since the Lakers are #1 vs. 3s on defense the efg reflects that and skews the numbers. Where they miss Ariza is that he could jump the passing lanes and get easy buckets in transiton off steals. Artest is 30 pounds overweight and lacks the acceleration to do anything but create steals off the dribble and not the pass. Also no Ariza forces LA to face a set defense. With no point guard whatsoever, and inconsistent shooting midrange and perimeter, they are sorely missing those easy transition buckets.

On Ariza. Fans of other teams act as if LA had a choice and chose Artest. Wrong. Ariza's agent insisted that Trevor be paid 8M per or forget it. Kupchak then turned to Artest. Lee overplayed his hand and eventually had to settle for the MLE money that LA would have gladly given Trevor to stay. Artest was not first choice. He became plan B when Lee made it clear Ariza would not sign with LA for MLE. Lee is an idiot and a bombthrower - and the agent of Andrew Bynum - which could contribute to a Bynum trade deadline or in the summer.

Edited by Sky

Phigtins has valid criticism of Kobe's game and the Laker weaknesses, but then he gets unnecessarily personal in calling Kobe an old man, and loses some validity by only bringing observation and tossing stats.

That may be true, but I am only playing Real Deal's game. Get personal and toss aside stuff that doesn't support my argument...he is the king of that.

Anyway like I said I am done here as far as arguing over Kobe goes.

Edited by Phightins

Here are some pics I took:

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs126.snc3/17376_442249650295_786850295_10650599_7449856_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs126.snc3/17376_442249630295_786850295_10650598_4197741_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs146.snc3/17376_442249610295_786850295_10650596_5199840_n.jpg

nice pics. did you have good seats, or is that zoom?

• Owner

That may be true

You know it is, haha. Next time, don't ignore the numbers, and don't try debating anything with me. Good job admitting you were full of it, though...although you just couldn't do that until someone else said so (pretty sad).

Oh, and by the way...

Also just in Lakers defensive rating is 101 while Houston of last year was 104! Owned!!!

LOL...that's points allowed per 100 possessions.

Defensive Rating (available since the 1977-78 season in the NBA); for players and teams it is points allowed per 100 possessions. This rating was developed by Dean Oliver, author of Basketball on Paper.

Oops. Owned?

Yeah, LeBron did crush the Lakers. I mentioned that he would even before the game started, because Ron was going to defend him. I made it clear that Kobe should've. I blasted Ron for his inability to defend LeBron, and asked why the Lakers didn't double him more.

And I believe Sky touched on the "zero plays off the dribble" comment, and the four games I gave you showed Bryant shooting from everywhere on the floor. The Orlando game would've been just another example, actually...

Not sure where you were headed with any of that, though. Don't worry, I don't avoid ANYTHING, because everything you say actually supports my argument.

And yes, we're done.

Good job admitting you were full of it, though...although you just couldn't do that until someone else said so (pretty sad).

http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

• Like 1