Philadelphia Flyers!

fly3rs18

Yeah. Probably because role players are more vital in the NHL. There is a lot more involved in building a team.

But with regards to the NBA, I don't understand how in a star-driven league with a salary cap, three super stars can wind up on the same team. But whatever, that's a debate for a different thread lol.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really Flyers related, but Philadelphia will host the Frozen Four in 2014. I am very excited for this. Hopefully I will be a Flyers season ticket holder by then, and they will offer some sort of discount to this because I'd really like to go.

Sounds like Simon Gagne has been traded to Tampa Bay for Mike Smith.

The Smith part is not official yet, but this is a sad day for the Flyers. Knew it was coming, and it had to be done, but Gags has been the only mainstay on this team for the entire past decade. He has done so much for this team, so it's sad to see him go.

Sucks to see Simon Gagne leave as a cap casualty. This trade is basically what I expected though. As expected, most Flyers fans are not at all happy. Any Flyers fan that had an illusion of trading Gagne for an elite goalie prospect, high draft pick, etc. is either very unrealistic or has no idea how the NHL salary cap works. If there is anything to be upset about with this trade, it is the fact that Paul Holmgren overpaid for Danny Briere and Scott Hartnell 3 years ago, which is what put the Flyers in this position in the first place. Of course, I didn't see many Flyers fans complaining then.

Edited by Phightins

Sucks to see Simon Gagne leave as a cap casualty. This trade is basically what I expected though. As expected, most Flyers fans are not at all happy. Any Flyers fan that had an illusion of trading Gagne for an elite goalie prospect, high draft pick, etc. is either very unrealistic or has no idea how the NHL salary cap works. If there is anything to be upset about with this trade, it is the fact that Paul Holmgren overpaid for Danny Briere and Scott Hartnell 3 years ago, which is what put the Flyers in this position in the first place. Of course, I didn't see many Flyers fans complaining then.

I'm surprised that was the best offer on the table especailly since Tampa is in the East.

I'm not surprised really. And if I was Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Toronto, or any of the other teams who were reportedly interested in Simon, I wouldn't have offered much either. Flyers had absolutely no leverage. Everyone knew they had to trade him.

Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News suggested that Marty Turco might be willing to sign for $1.25 million, or somewhere in that neighborhood. That would be a nearly 800% pay cut from last year, but he may have no choice if he wants to stay in the NHL. Anyway, if this is true I certainly hope the Flyers sign him. If they are able to get Walker through waivers and into the AHL, they will have a little more than $3 million in cap space.