NHL Season Thread

Universe

Ilya Kovalchuk has been traded and it will be announced tonight. Not sure where. It is not the Bruins, not the Flyers, and not the Rangers. Blackhawks maybe? We will find out soon I guess.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Ilya is going to play overseas after this season or something? Idk.... he is a talented as hell player, would be a shame to see him leave to Europe like Jagr did.

I guess the guy just wants to play in an actual hockey market, he turned down 12 years and over 100 million, that is pretty crazy and pretty much shows he can get the money wherever he wants lol.

Jagr was still a first line capable player, or 2nd line at worst. He was capable of being a contributor but left for the money, hopefully Ilya can stay. Can't believe he demanded the Thrashers to make him the highest paid player in the NHL, and when they offered the deal he turned it down.

The Atlanta Thrashers look to have parted ways with the most celebrated player in franchise history, trading star winger Ilya Kovalchuk to the New Jersey Devils. The Thrashers acquired defenceman John Oduya, forwards Niclas Bergfors and Patrice Cormier and a first round pick.

TSN.ca

Maybe this was the best the Thrashers could do when word came out that he turned down 12 years and $101 mil, and that essentially there's a good chance he'd be a half-season rental. But knowing that this deal went down makes me even more upset that the Flyers don't have a first round pick, haha. Well of course the reason we don't have a first is because of the Pronger deal which obviously I can't complain about, but had the Flyers owned a first round pick they absolutely could have topped the Devils deal. Fitting him under the cap would have been another issue but as far as talent in the trade they could have topped this. Oh well.

With that said, I am picturing a Parise/Zajac/Kovalchuk line and am having nightmares already.

Edited by Phightins

I don't follow hockey at ALL but when the news that Kovalchuk was traded went by on the ESPN ticker I was shocked. I know things haven't worked out at all for him here but he was the reason fans came to games. With him gone, I would think it's safe to say we are in the process of rebuilding. Only bad thing about trading him was that I doubt we got much in return.

I would probably follow hockey more often if the organization actually had interest in putting together a winning team. Seems like they just don't care and I wouldn't be surprised if the team were to get relocated sometime in the future.

I don't follow hockey at ALL but when the news that Kovalchuk was traded went by on the ESPN ticker I was shocked. I know things haven't worked out at all for him here but he was the reason fans came to games. With him gone, I would think it's safe to say we are in the process of rebuilding. Only bad thing about trading him was that I doubt we got much in return.

I would probably follow hockey more often if the organization actually had interest in putting together a winning team. Seems like they just don't care and I wouldn't be surprised if the team were to get relocated sometime in the future.

Well, they had no choice but to trade him. He turned down a 12 year $101 million contract, and for obvious reasons the Thrashers (and pretty much any other NHL team under this tight salary cap, if they desire to have a half decent team around him) could not afford to go higher. And if they would have held onto him, they would have gotten stuck in the situation Florida had last year with Jay Bouwmeester. I really don't think what the Thrashers got was that terrible actually, considering all the circumstances. When you look at the trade on paper it seems like a rip off, but since there's a good chance he is a 1 year rental that was probably the max they could have gotten. I'm just surprised the Thrashers agreed to take Patrice Cormier, haha.

I was just going to post about this game. Also, check this out, for those who didn't see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0MQLmceKVw&feature=player_embedded

Also, the NBC guys were talking about how Ovechkin/Crosby is as good, if not better than Magic/Bird was, and as much as I cannot stand Sidney Crosby I agree completely. This is great stuff to watch, it's a shame the NHL is so irrelevant in many parts of the USA because these games are awesome to watch.

I was just going to post about this game. Also, check this out, for those who didn't see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0MQLmceKVw&feature=player_embedded

Also, the NBC guys were talking about how Ovechkin/Crosby is as good, if not better than Magic/Bird was, and as much as I cannot stand Sidney Crosby I agree completely. This is great stuff to watch, it's a shame the NHL is so irrelevant in many parts of the USA because these games are awesome to watch.

Right now, it is the best rivalry in sports, and I have no problem saying that it is better than the Boston Red Sox/New York Yankees or the New England Patriots/Indianapolis Colts rivalry, right bow.

It helps that they play multiple times a season too, but I love this rivalry!