ALCS Discussion: Angels vs Yankees

Lkr

your offense hasn't done anything

Our offense scored 2 runs without any Angel errors and a third in which they took advantage of an error on a pickoff. They still needed Jeter to come through, which he did.

Great, great pitching by CC. Eight innings thrown in weather where it's hard to throw what you want. Another great game for A-Rod, Damon's simulated game has really helped him get back on track, and we're looking very sharp despite four days off.

Our offense scored 2 runs without any Angel errors and a third in which they took advantage of an error on a pickoff. They still needed Jeter to come through, which he did.

Great, great pitching by CC. Eight innings thrown in weather where it's hard to throw what you want. Another great game for A-Rod, Damon's simulated game has really helped him get back on track, and we're looking very sharp despite four days off.

That is because the scorers didn't score obvious errors as errors.

The scorers correctly scored the popup as a base hit.

Anyway, I already accounted for the dropped ball and the 3 errors. Again, there was an A-Rod sac fly and a Matsui RBI double, and neither were related to errors. The pickoff error allowed Melky to go into scoring position, but Jeter still had to get a base hit to score Melky, which he did. Even if Hunter came up cleanly with the ball, I don't think there was much of a chance of a play at the plate. So our offense still played a role in the game, it wasn't all Angels errors.

We put pressure on your defense, stop trying to make it like the Yankees did nothing to get the win. The Angels couldn't adjust to the weather conditions, another aspect to the game of baseball, we also had 2, 2-out RBI's w/ Jeter and Hideki.

• Like 1

Seems like everyone hates the Yankees for playing in a league with no cap. Doesn't make much sense to me. I hope they win it all.

Thank you. I try to tell people that, but for living in New Jersey there's lots of Yankee Haters and none of them seem to give a crap about the no cap, all they say is Yankees buy wins. It doesn't really effect me, but it gets old lol.

Ah, sorry.

"Because they buy their wins."

Worded it wrong.

Not even that. There are a handful teams who could probably spend as much as the Yankees do. I honestly think the main reason people hate the Yankees is the general perception of the fans. Obviously there are the real Yankee fans like Waldo, but it always seems like there are far more who do not care about the game of baseball or know anything beyond the Yankees, they just say "hey I do not like baseball but I will root for the Yankees because of the 26 rings. Also, I cannot name anybody on the team besides Jeter A-Rod and possibly Teixeira".

Edited by Phightins09

Not even that. There are a handful teams who could probably spend as much as the Yankees do. I honestly think the main reason people hate the Yankees is the general perception of the fans. Obviously there are the real Yankee fans like Waldo, but it always seems like there are far more who do not care about the game of baseball or know anything beyond the Yankees, they just say "hey I do not like baseball but I will root for the Yankees because of the 26 rings. Also, I cannot name anybody on the team besides Jeter A-Rod and possibly Teixeira".

But you're only talking about some bandwagon fans, not the whole fanbase. If you go to a Yankee game, you'll see how many people are there because they love Yankee Ball, they live for this team. A lot of Yankees fans aren't bandwagon fans, they actually know about the team and baseball. You can't classify a whole fanbase as guys who don't know about baseball. I can say some Philly fans are obnoxious, but I'm not going to classify the whole fanbase as obnoxious.

But you're only talking about some bandwagon fans, not the whole fanbase. If you go to a Yankee game, you'll see how many people are there because they love Yankee Ball, they live for this team. A lot of Yankees fans aren't bandwagon fans, they actually know about the team and baseball. You can't classify a whole fanbase as guys who don't know about baseball. I can say some Philly fans are obnoxious, but I'm not going to classify the whole fanbase as obnoxious.

I clearly didn't stereotype the entire fanbase. I have been to a handful of games at Yankee Stadium and I know that the loyal Yankee fans are legit. I also know that they happen to have far more stupid bandwagoners than any other team in Major League Baseball. My point was that the general perception of Yankee fans leads a lot of people to dislike the team (similarly to why people hate Philadelphia teams, but a slightly different reason). Also the fact that you can't argue with many of them, because it will always turn into "my team has more championships than your team". Not generalizing an entire fanbase, but I have personally encountered this many times.

Edited by Phightins09

I clearly didn't stereotype the entire fanbase. I have been to a handful of games at Yankee Stadium and I know that the loyal Yankee fans are legit. I also know that they happen to have far more stupid bandwagoners than any other team in Major League Baseball. My point was that the general perception of Yankee fans leads a lot of people to dislike the team. Also the fact that you can't argue with many of them, because it will always turn into "my team has more championships than your team". Not generalizing an entire fanbase, but I have personally encountered this many times.

Of course we're going to have a lot of bandwagoners now, but eventually when we begin to decline, the fans will hop off. Every good team has bandwagoners, we just have a lot. I've never used the championship argument on anyone or their team, the fans who use that usually are the bandwagon fans. I understand what your saying, but the fans on this site aren't like that. Everyone has their opinion, and I can see why you hate the team, I respect you more then someone who uses our cap as an argument.

Of course we're going to have a lot of bandwagoners now, but eventually when we begin to decline, the fans will hop off. Every good team has bandwagoners, we just have a lot. I've never used the championship argument on anyone or their team, the fans who use that usually are the bandwagon fans. I understand what your saying, but the fans on this site aren't like that. Everyone has their opinion, and I can see why you hate the team, I respect you more then someone who uses our cap as an argument.

I'm sorry if my post came across as me throwing the entire fanbase into one big stereotype, didn't intend for it to sound like that. I know plenty of very cool Yankee fans. It just so happens that the fanbase is very large, so for every legitimate Yankee fans it seems like there are 4 or 5 bandwagoning idiots.

And I don't really care for the cap argument either. Obviously baseball is an uncapped league but honestly there are about 5 or 6 teams with a nearly unlimited budget. I just think the Yankees get talked about most because they are the most attractive market for a lot of free agents. If three teams offer a star free agent $20 million a season, there's a pretty good chance he will sign with the Yankees (obviously depends on the player of course, I know Sabathia didn't really want to go to New York so the Yankees had to kick in even more money there, but that's an isolated case). If the Red Sox or Cubs were "that team" that had a lot of success in the last century, had the huge fanbase and 20-something trophies, they would probably be the destination of choice and everybody would talk about them in the light that many people talk about the Yankees today.

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, people need to realize that even though Major League Baseball is an uncapped league, it does not mean teams can just spend at will. Obviously the Yankees can, the Red Sox, Cubs, Mets, Dodgers, and possibly Angels all probably could, but most teams have strict budgets. So the people who say "well it's an uncapped league, why doesn't the owner of such-and-such middle market team just offer as much money as possible to sign the hot free agent", it is not as simple as that.

Edited by Phightins09