ALCS Discussion: Angels vs Yankees

Lkr

Saunders vs Burnett tonight. I am actually a bit surprised that Weaver is not pitching. Is it because Saunders hasn't pitched since the regular season and they don't want him to wait until game 4 of this series?

• Like 1

It may sound bias, but people need to realize that money doesn't buy a World Series.

It sure as heck helps, and I would not want the Boston Red Sox to have the same payroll as the Florida Marlins, but money doesn't buy teams a ring.

+1

Saunders vs Burnett tonight. I am actually a bit surprised that Weaver is not pitching. Is it because Saunders hasn't pitched since the regular season and they don't want him to wait until game 4 of this series?

Probably. The Angels might have wanted to bring him out of the bullpen against Boston. When you get extra rest, your velocity is above your average and you can obviously go a little longer than usual, but of course, they can't let him lose his sharpness.

You need to touch second base on that play, even if it hasn't been called all game.

Having to touch the bag can change the whole play around.

That's irrelevant if the umpire has been letting them get away with it all game long. You can't just start calling it differently in the tenth inning. Obviously the rule book says you need to touch the base, but most umpires let middle infielders get away with what Aybar did. But again, it's all about consistency. If he had been making him touch the bag all game long, then the "safe" call would have been alright.

It's the same deal as strike zones. There is technically a rule book definition of a strike zone, but every umpire has their own unique one, and the only important thing is that they stay consistent.

Edited by Phightins09

That's irrelevant if the umpire has been letting them get away with it all game long. You can't just start calling it differently in the tenth inning. Obviously the rule book says you need to touch the base, but most umpires let middle infielders get away with what Aybar did. But again, it's all about consistency. If he had been making him touch the bag all game long, then the "safe" call would have been alright.

It's the same deal as strike zones. There is technically a rule book definition of a strike zone, but every umpire has their own unique one, and the only important thing is that they stay consistent.

I like consistency, but not when it has to do with touching the bag, which is totally different than umpires that all have different strike-zones.

So, I'm guessing you should be allowed to cut inside third -base on the way to home plate as a short-cut.

I like consistency, but not when it has to do with touching the bag, which is totally different than umpires that all have different strike-zones.

So, I'm guessing you should be allowed to cut inside third -base on the way to home plate as a short-cut.

You should be allowed to do whatever the umpire dictates. If something is alright in the first inning or third inning, it sure as hell better be alright in the tenth. And it really is similar to the strike zone thing, since some umpires will allow you to straddle the bag like Aybar did and some umpires will not, just as some umpires will squeeze pitchers to death and others will give them an inch or 2 off the plate.

You should be allowed to do whatever the umpire dictates. If something is alright in the first inning or third inning, it sure as hell better be alright in the tenth. And it really is similar to the strike zone thing, since some umpires will allow you to straddle the bag like Aybar did and some umpires will not, just as some umpires will squeeze pitchers to death and others will give them an inch or 2 off the plate.

There's more of a standard for touching the base than there is for a strike-zone.

Also, whether or not a call that happens in the 1st inning should be called exactly the same as the same play that may happen in the 9th inning, it just doesn't work that way.

In a Game 7, there is no way that a minor interference call that may have been called in the 1st period would be called in over-time.