Why do people choose to be atheist?

reno

I believe in God. I don't believe it's fair that someone can call me ignorant and call the Bible a huge fairy tale without me slapping them right back, because that's what it is: a slap in my face.

Combine logic and science for a minute. If something is left unexplained, science tells you it's impossible. Statistics tell you this, correct? So...if there's no answer for how the universe was created...then it's impossible that it was created? If it's still possible (which it is, or else we don't exist), then, technically, impossible doesn't exist once it's proven to be untrue, says logic and reasoning.

So if you have an open mind, God isn't impossible. Neither is evolution. Same goes for anything. Science was created by man. The Bible was created by man. Statistics were created by man. Nothing is certain, and nothing is impossible, using an atheist's logic, OR a Christian's.

What? Who says that if something is left unexplained then it's impossible? If something is left unexplained, we try to figure it out. If we can't, then we'll try to come up with the technology till we can. You're thinking about this way too much. Science is not an invention, even if you try to spin it that way.

If you open your mind, you'll realize that nothing in the bible adds up. For one, it's not even original, but borrows almost exactly the same tale told by the Egyptians, 5000 years before the bible at that. How do you even begin to explain that?

How can you truly believe that a Christian murderer who truly feels sorry gets a place in heaven, while Gandhi enjoys burning in eternal damnation?

I don't care what you believe in. But to make unintelligent remarks such as "Just look at the world around you. Its too beautiful to just be chance and luck. God created this world for us to cherish, why would you doubt God?" and question what we believe in is beyond me.

None of us here are going to convert the other and we're not going to agree. You believe what you believe in, and I believe what I believe in. There's no need to argue or try to spin things your way.

• Owner

LOL, I'm not spinning anything my way. You're the one asking questions, not me. I'm simply telling you, and anyone else, that you're ignorant to make fun of religion. If that doesn't include you (meaning, if you aren't mocking it and calling us ignorant), then I guess that's not directed at you. Take it or leave it. Don't point fingers, because the truth is, I don't care what you believe in just as much as you don't care what I believe in, although I'll accept it without making fun of you or mocking you, or asking questions and making statements about it. For every question you ask about the Bible, we ask about the lack of technology that you claim you don't have, despite the thousands of years you've had to find out the truth.

There are no answers because there are no answers. You're able to tell people how old the Earth is from a rock, but you're not able to tell me where the first particle from the Earth came from? I guess scientists will have to dig into the core and recover that particle...or something...and, you know, count the ridges on it.

Science is man-made. Numbers are man-made, right? So why should I believe anything like that if I can't believe that most religions speak of a real god, some kind of supernatural, something of that nature?

You see the italicized part? That's just an example of someone making fun of what you believe in, and that's very mild. Reading back on our old religious debates (if I could), you'd see that most of it was all directed to Christians, most of the mockery, and I believe the words used were:

fairy tales

Santa Claus

talking bush

story book

...among other things. I wouldn't be so quick to say you guys are the ones being stuck in the ribs, because it's been guys like Slaven entering topics that have NOTHING to do with God and criticizing Him (ex. the phrase "Oh my God" being in a topic about Marbury's JTV clip, and you know the end result).

There's a reason why atheists are seen as disrespectful. For the half that aren't, the other half are, because they aren't God-fearing and don't believe in consequences other than what you run into with the police, and no matter how anyone twists it, it's true.

• Owner

By the way, so we're on the same page, my girlfriend has a friend who is married to an atheist, and he believes that killing a person wouldn't be that big of a deal if you could get away with it, somehow. That's one of the most dumbest things I've ever heard. That tells me one thing, which he agreed with: he's more likely to do it than I am, and it proves my last couple of sentences above.

LOL, I'm not spinning anything my way. You're the one asking questions, not me. I'm simply telling you, and anyone else, that you're ignorant to make fun of religion. If that doesn't include you (meaning, if you aren't mocking it and calling us ignorant), then I guess that's not directed at you. Take it or leave it. Don't point fingers, because the truth is, I don't care what you believe in just as much as you don't care what I believe in, although I'll accept it without making fun of you or mocking you, or asking questions and making statements about it. For every question you ask about the Bible, we ask about the lack of technology that you claim you don't have, despite the thousands of years you've had to find out the truth.

There are no answers because there are no answers. You're able to tell people how old the Earth is from a rock, but you're not able to tell me where the first particle from the Earth came from? I guess scientists will have to dig into the core and recover that particle...or something...and, you know, count the ridges on it.

Science is man-made. Numbers are man-made, right? So why should I believe anything like that if I can't believe that most religions speak of a real god, some kind of supernatural, something of that nature?

You see the italicized part? That's just an example of someone making fun of what you believe in, and that's very mild. Reading back on our old religious debates (if I could), you'd see that most of it was all directed to Christians, most of the mockery, and I believe the words used were:

fairy tales

Santa Claus

talking bush

story book

...among other things. I wouldn't be so quick to say you guys are the ones being stuck in the ribs, because it's been guys like Slaven entering topics that have NOTHING to do with God and criticizing Him (ex. the phrase "Oh my God" being in a topic about Marbury's JTV clip, and you know the end result).

There's a reason why atheists are seen as disrespectful. For the half that aren't, the other half are, because they aren't God-fearing and don't believe in consequences other than what you run into with the police, and no matter how anyone twists it, it's true.

Consequences? Atheists are smart enough to not commit crimes.

Federal Bureau of Prisons (1997)

Atheists 0.2%

Christians 75%

Most atheists are people who think. Kinda funny huh?

Edited by YugoRocketsFan
  • Like 2

Consequences? Atheists are smart enough to not commit crimes.

Most atheists are people who think. Kinda funny huh?

You do realize why that number is so large is because most prisoners convert while they are in prison? Prison ministry is a huge outreach, and it really helps turn a lot of lives around.

You do realize why that number is so large is because most prisoners convert while they are in prison? Prison ministry is a huge outreach, and it really helps turn a lot of lives around.

Poor prisoners, but no I dont think thats what it is, rarely atheists commit crimes, the many people who go to jail arent atheists but they probably became born-again christians after imprisonment. But it seems like religion isnt doing a great job because most prisoners who released go back at another time.

• Like 1

For every question you ask about the Bible, we ask about the lack of technology that you claim you don't have, despite the thousands of years you've had to find out the truth.

How are our questions even relevant? There are advances in technology every day. Since we don't have the technology now to know everything doesn't mean we should revert to the bible, mainly because it offers no answers. We didn't know how to cure certain diseases back then, does that mean there were no answers? Obviously not, as we know how to cure them today.

The bible is practically the same as an Egyptian story told 5000 years before the bible was even written. The bible can't even keep a single number consistent throughout it's many different versions. What does that tell you?

That's the difference.

Poor prisoners, but no I dont think thats what it is, rarely atheists commit crimes, the many people who go to jail arent atheists but they probably became born-again christians after imprisonment. But it seems like religion isnt doing a great job because most prisoners who released go back at another time.

Studies have shown that inmates who come under religious influence while behind bars have a far lower rate of returning to crime than those who didn't have any religious influence.

http://www.prisonministry.org/statistics_study.htm

http://www.leaderu.com/humanities/johnson.html

[/b]

Studies have shown that inmates who come under religious influence while behind bars have a far lower rate of returning to crime than those who didn't have any religious influence.

Notice I said most, I also doubt any of these church ministries have converted Atheists to Christianity, but theres only quite a few of them anyway.

He doesn't know what he is talking about, and if he did some simple math, he would undsertand that it is obvious that there are more Christians in prison than atheists because there a LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT more Christians in the world, as it is the most popular religion.

Also, like you said, many prisoners convert while they are in prison, but many are actually converting to Islam now.

Also, I don't have answers for everything in the Bible, but there is no way in hell that I believe in the "Big Bang Theory". :lol: .

Also, I don't have answers for everything in the Bible, but there is no way in hell that I believe in the "Big Bang Theory". :lol: .

It constantly amazes me how people think the Bible is actually a credible source, especially over so many years of scientific research.

He doesn't know what he is talking about, and if he did some simple math, he would undsertand that it is obvious that there are more Christians in prison than atheists because there a LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT more Christians in the world, as it is the most popular religion.

Also, like you said, many prisoners convert while they are in prison, but many are actually converting to Islam now.

Islam is actually the world's most popular religion.

Christians make up 75% of the US, apparently the prison population is exactly the same.

Atheists make up anywhere from 4-12% of the US population while the prison population is listed at 0.2%

Simple math states that Atheists commit less crimes than Christians.

That's your problem. You say everything like it's fact, yet you can't disprove there is no God. All you keep saying is "improbable". We have our beliefs. Yet you keep trying to discredit them, get over yourself.

I'll disprove that God is real if you disprove that Zeus is real.

There is a reason that the 2 biggest words associated with religion is called Faith and Belief. Faith = Not wanting to know what is true. Belief = Something which has no proof.

Edited by YugoRocketsFan

bigdog, i respect it and my whole family is pretty religious but a fairy tale seems right. creatures that are completely made up and based on no fact. actually, i think i would believe in unicorns before god, or reincarnation. unicorns are based off of horses, god is based of.. what? its just a spiritual thing to make life have a purpose. in fact, think about this: it seems that in BCE and even a few hundred years after, there were so many prophets that they wrote down in the bible. explain why there have been no prophets when we started writing down everything?

• Owner

[/b]

Kyle, please, don't get all scientific in here. Your numbers are irrelevant because you believe in a fairy tale, and you obviously aren't as smart as these scientists in here.

The next time I see an atheist say "lucky shot" in a topic, they are going to get blasted because there is no such thing as luck, because no numbers tell me so.

By the way, this is fantastic...

1. If there is no God, “the big questions” remain unanswered, so how do we answer the following questions: Where did everything come from, and why is there something rather than nothing? Why is there conscious, intelligent life on this planet, and is there any meaning to this life? Does human history lead anywhere, or is it all in vain since death is merely the end? How do you come to understand good and evil, right and wrong without a transcendent signifier? If these concepts are merely social constructions, or human opinions, where do we look to determine what is good or bad, right or wrong? If you are content within an atheistic worldview, what circumstances would serve to make you open to other answers?

2. If we reject the existence of God, we are left with a crisis of meaning, so why don’t we see more atheists taking their worldview more seriously like Jean Paul Sartre, or Friedrich Nietzsche, or Michel Foucault? These three atheists recognized that in the absence of God, there was no transcendent meaning beyond one’s own self-interests, pleasures, or tastes. The experience of atheistic meaninglessness is recorded in Sartre’s book Nausea. Without God, these three thinkers, among others, show us a world of just stuff, thrown out into space and time, going nowhere, meaning nothing.

3. If people don’t believe in God, the historical results are horrific, so how do we deal with the regimes of Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot who saw religion as the problem and worked to eradicate it? Countless millions lost their lives under these godless regimes, regimes more influenced by Nietzsche’s concept of the ubermensch (superman) than they were by transcendent morality.

4. If there is no God, the problems of evil and suffering are in no way solved, so where is the hope of redemption, or meaning for those who suffer? Suffering is just as tragic, if not more so, without God because there is no hope of it being rendered meaningful or transcendent, redemptive or redeemable, since no interventions in this life or reparations in an afterlife are possible. It might be true that there is no God to blame now, but neither is there a God to reach out to for strength, transcendent meaning, or comfort. There is only madness and confusion in the face of suffering and evil.

5. If there is no God, we lose the very standard by which we critique religions and religious people, so whose opinion matters most? Whose voice will be heard? Whose tastes or preferences will be honored? In the long run, human tastes and opinions have no more weight than we give them, and who are we to give them meaning anyway? Who is to say that lying, or cheating or adultery or child molestation are wrong –really wrong? Where do those standards come from? Sure, our societies might make these things “illegal” and impose penalties or consequences for things that are not socially acceptable, but human cultures have at various times legally or socially disapproved of everything from believing in God to believing the world revolves around the sun; from slavery, to interracial marriage, from polygamy to monogamy. Human taste, opinion law and culture are hardly dependable arbiters of Truth.

6. If there is no God, we don’t make sense, so how do we explain human longings and desire for the transcendent? How do we even explain human questions for meaning and purpose, or inner thoughts like, why I am so unfulfilled or empty? Why do I hunger for the spiritual? How do we deal with these questions if nothing can exist beyond the material world? Atheists, particularly atheistic scientists go way beyond their scientific training when they depart from the “how” questions to prognosticating about the “why” questions. Even terms like “natural selection” seems a misuse of words, since only an intelligent being can assess options and choose. How do we get laws out of luck, or predictable processes out of brute chance? If all that makes us different from animals is learning and altruism, why do the brutish still widely outnumber the wise in our world?