Why do people choose to be atheist?

reno

There are scriptures from people that you don't know. That's the same amount of evidence as a scientist reading a rock and telling you the Earth is older than what the Bible says it is.

It sure as hell isn't. If you honestly believe that, I'm not sure what to say.

One is thoroughly studied by men today with better knowledge today, the other is based on scriptures written by man over and over again until the 1450s when the printing press was invented. If the bible can't even keep a single number consistent throughout its many scriptures, how can you trust the rest? And not to mention it practically steals the same story the Egyptians told 5000 years before the events of the bible ever took place. Very odd indeed.

I can use that same logic. Prove to me that you can spread a disease...because maybe they can't be spread. Maybe it's just a coincidence that you get sick when around others. What exactly can you show me that proves otherwise? Same make up? How do you know, really? Science is created by man.

Are you joking at this point? :lol:

We know exactly how certain diseases spread, what the hell are you even talking about? Just because you don't know the answer, doesn't mean it's not there. I doubt you think that way, though. :lol:

If science was so accurate, why are theories proven false? They are developed because they are believed to be true, but then...they aren't? :lol:

It can be considered accurate, because we're always looking to improve on our understanding of the world. If new evidence doesn't support our theories, then we come up with a new conclusion that supports the evidence. So far everything we have found supports the theory of evolution. Everything. Until someone finds something to prove it otherwise, considering all the evidence we have for it, it's pretty much a fact at this point. That's a much better method of learning about the world around us, rather than trusting a book that steals its plot and ideas from different cultures.

What does the bible have going for it? A book that was hand-copied for many centuries? Can't keep a single number consistent? Creating woman from a man's rib? A story taken by the Egyptians among many other stories before it?

And for your example, how do you know it doesn't exist? I'm sure all of these colliding particles around us can create something you've never seen before, you know, all of these miniature big bangs going off in our presence, creating insects, flowers, rocks, planets and humans.

Great explanation for everything, isn't it? Just as believable as God. POOF! A new boy, but with horse legs. Damn particles! Us Christians can throw the same ridiculous stones (and can probably find a lot of them to throw if we snag them out of thin air). Weird that those collisions never happen...ever. Just when the Earth was created, and then when other things were created...but so long ago, we've never seen them. Must not be true!

Something more powerful than you created the Earth. It was God, it was light and energy, it was something, and until you can prove to me it was whatever you think it is, you have the same amount of proof I do, which (according to you) makes you wrong.

You keep coming back to this, "how do you now it doesn't exist?" First of all, I never said I believe in the big bang theory. We don't have much evidence to prove it at this point (although it makes much more sense than the simple answer that the bible comes up with of a single higher being creating everything), but evolution is a different matter. Everything we have found supports it. Nothing we have found refutes it.

The bible states that woman was created from a man's rib. No proof, no evidence: nothing.

You keep saying we have no proof, but saying it over and over again does not make it true. The fact of the matter is, we do. You tend to ignore it so you can keep believing in your god.

Edit:

I'm done with the debate. I'm going to go eat lunch, see if I can create it using nothing.

And that somehow means god exists? :unsure:

Edited by OldChili

• Owner

What does "pretty much fact" mean? Haha, is that a scientific term I don't know about? Pretty much fact?

And I say that you don't have proof because you don't. Don't say you do. Nobody was around to witness the event, nobody can tell anything from a rock, nobody on this Earth can produce something from nothing, and so your word is as good as mine. Case closed.

What does "pretty much fact" mean? Haha, is that a scientific term I don't know about? Pretty much fact?

And I say that you don't have proof because you don't. Don't say you do. Nobody was around to witness the event, nobody can tell anything from a rock, nobody on this Earth can produce something from nothing, and so your word is as good as mine. Case closed.

You know exactly what it means.

But keep telling yourself that. Makes you feel better, eh? :lol:

Edited by OldChili

You are basically saying, "because you have no explanation for how the Earth is made, I am going to keep believing some religious stuff that has no evidence and no truths behind it". If everyone on Earth was religious and gullible we wouldnt be researching things like evolution, big bang theory, and all that other stuff and looking for answers but would accept some myth as the truth, thank goodness us humans arent that stubborn like some people.

I really do hope we find out how the Earth was made by studying other galaxies so we dont have anymore people saying, " OMGZ UZ HAVEZ NOZ ANSWERZ THEREFOREZ I WILLZ BELEIVEZ IN LIEZ".

Two things I would like to clear up.

1) Christian scientists, theologians, archeologists, and many others are constantly studying the Bible. People are always breaking it down, trying to learn more about it every single day. Your horrid misconception that all Christians just take it as it is and don't bother to learn more about it is laughable.

2.) You guys disregard the Bible as a bunch of "stories", as if they were passed down from word of mouth from one to another. This could not be farther than the truth. The scribes who made copies of the manuscripts for others took extreme care when writing it down. If they made even just one mistake, they would destroy the entire document and start over.

This is a good read for you guys, but I get the feeling that you won't read it, or will just discard it because of the url.

Because of the great reverence the Jewish scribes held toward the Scriptures, they exercised extreme care in making new copies of the Hebrew Bible. The entire scribal process was specified in meticulous detail to minimize the possibility of even the slightest error. The number of letters, words, and lines were counted, and the middle letters of the Pentateuch and the Old Testament were determined. If a single mistake was discovered, the entire manuscript would be destroyed.

As a result of this extreme care, the quality of the manuscripts of the Hebrew Bible surpasses all other ancient manuscripts. The 1947 discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls provided a significant check on this, because these Hebrew scrolls antedate the earliest Masoretic Old Testament manuscripts by about 1,000 years. But in spite of this time span, the number of variant readings between the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Masoretic Text is quite small, and most of these are variations in spelling and style.

Just a small tidbit, there's a lot more here. http://bible.org/article/how-accurate-bible

• Like 1

1) Christian scientists, theologians, archeologists, and many others are constantly studying the Bible. People are always breaking it down, trying to learn more about it every single day. Your horrid misconception that all Christians just take it as it is and don't bother to learn more about it is laughable.

2.) You guys disregard the Bible as a bunch of "stories", as if they were passed down from word of mouth from one to another. This could not be farther than the truth. The scribes who made copies of the manuscripts for others took extreme care when writing it down. If they made even just one mistake, they would destroy the entire document and start over.

This is a good read for you guys, but I get the feeling that you won't read it, or will just discard it because of the url.

Just a small tidbit, there's a lot more here. http://bible.org/article/how-accurate-bible

Thing is, Atheists dont care what the bible has to say on anything. The bible cannot be used a source to decide whether a god is or isnt there, the bible to us is no different than the Iliad, Quran or any of those religious books. People who quote the bible or any christian website are just making themselves look stupid in the first place. Christianity is based on believing in something bizarre because you have no other answer as how the Earth is created and how we came to be. Quoting a website like that just give us some religious fanatics perspective on things.

There is no evidence for any kind of God, no matter what any book says, the bible is as good of a source as Harry Potter.

1) Using Real's logic, you've had a thousand years to study it, why haven't you figured all of it out by now? I mean, you've had such a long time. You must know everything there is to know about it by now. :rolleyes:

2) These people were human, they made mistakes. How are you to be sure that every time they made a single mistake they would destroy the entire thing and start over? But consider this: the bible can't keep a single number consistent throughout its many scriptures. Looks like someone forgot to destroy their document and start over.

Edited by OldChili

I'm just going to throw this out there. Christians keep claiming that because we don't have a definite answer on how things were created, then it must have been done by a God. So let me ask you this: If everything must have a creator, and God is the creator of all things, then who/what created God?

I'm just going to throw this out there. Christians keep claiming that because we don't have a definite answer on how things were created, then it must have been done by a God. So let me ask you this: If everything must have a creator, and God is the creator of all things, then who/what created God?

God was always there, duh.

• Like 1

God was always there, duh.

Yeah, then he was like, "YOU KNOW WHAT, IM GONNA MAKE A PLACE CALLED EARTH AN THEN HAVE A SON IN A GOOD 4.5 BILLION YEARS AFTER THE EARTH IS MADE". "There will be a religion called Christianity that will follow my son Jesus.". "Oh snap, whos this hot piece of [expletive]? Hmm Her name is Mary, im gonna have sex with her and have a son named Jesus with her"

Edited by YugoRocketsFan

Yeah, then he was like, "YOU KNOW WHAT, IM GONNA MAKE A PLACE CALLED EARTH AN THEN HAVE A SON IN A GOOD 4.5 BILLION YEARS AFTER THE EARTH IS MADE". "There will be a religion called Christianity that will follow my son Jesus.". "Oh snap, whos this hot piece of [expletive]? Hmm Her name is Mary, im gonna have sex with her and have a son named Jesus with her"

It all makes sense now...

Immature, condescending, disrespectful, ignorant, arrogant, mocking, mean spirited, angry, tactless, and just down right hateful. Thanks for showing everyone just how swell you atheists are, and how rotten and terrible us religious folks can be.

There's not much I can say or do at this point, try to have a reasonable talk with some people and they just show their true colors. Hopefully one day you guys will genuinely have an interest to learn more about God, the Bible, and Christianity. Until then, I'll be praying.

Immature, condescending, disrespectful, ignorant, arrogant, mocking, mean spirited, angry, tactless, and just down right hateful. Thanks for showing everyone just how swell you atheists are, and how rotten and terrible us religious folks can be.

There's not much I can say or do at this point, try to have a reasonable talk with some people and they just show their true colors. Hopefully one day you guys will genuinely have an interest to learn more about God, the Bible, and Christianity. Until then, I'll be praying.

Have fun praying, maybe after another 20,000 times of praying you might realise that nobody is listening. But its cool, i'll just stay realistic here.

Edited by YugoRocketsFan
  • Like 1

I've already decided to get a PhD in physics. Do you suppose that I'll change my mind about the Bible along the way?

Or will I end up a Christian with an advanced degree in physics? If the Bible is so obviously wrong, that can't happen, can it?

Good luck brah. You'll be a Physics major who believes in something without evidence.

Hopefully one day you guys will genuinely have an interest to learn more about God, the Bible, and Christianity. Until then, I'll be praying.

I grew up in a religious school, bud. I know everything I need to about your God.

And I love how Christians always have to tell people that they're going to pray.. really proves how well it works.