MLB Hot Stove

Phightins

^ Anything on Damon yet? I'm curious to where he ends up.

The budget is still preventing us from offering more, and Boras has the same asking price. There don't seem to be many other teams giving him offers, so I expect him to lower the asking price eventually.

Kevin Long has already started working with Granderson this offseason, so we'll see what improvements there are in his hitting in a couple months, but Granderson did not have the same numbers against lefty pitchers that Matsui and Damon did, so that is one reason we shouldn't rule out the idea of re-signing Johnny.

It’s a fairly small item in a weekend Post-Dispatch story,* but it seems the Cardinals are actively checking Chien-Ming Wang’s medical records.

St. Louis pitching coach Dave Duncan — Shelley’s father — has a strong history of working with sinkerballers and reclamation projects, and given Matt Holliday’s contract, it makes sense that that Cardinals would be interested in a fairly cheap, risk-reward type pitcher (the Post-Dispatch also mentions John Smoltz and Derrick Turnbow).

For Wang, the destination might make sense because the Cardinals depth chart doesn’t even list a fifth starter. Wang won’t be ready for opening day, but a door could open fairly easily for him to back into a big league rotation once he’s ready.

Apparently the Tigers really are going to let Phil Coke compete for a spot in the rotation. Coke throws a changeup and worked as a starter through almost all of his minor league career, but things took off when he moved to the bullpen. Not sure why Detroit would want to mess with that, but I’m hardly an expert on Coke’s starting potential. Hope it works out for him, whatever his role.

Lower Hudson Yankees Blog

Two-time NL Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum is asking for a record $13 million in salary arbitration, while the San Francisco Giants are offering their ace $8 million.

The sides exchanged numbers Tuesday, shortly after Lincecum agreed to pay $513 to resolve marijuana charges against him in Washington state.

If Lincecum and the Giants don't settle, an arbitration panel will hold a hearing next month and pick one of the salaries. No player has ever gotten more than $10 million in salary arbitration.

ESPN

Phillies folk-hero Matty Stairs signed with the Padres today. I knew he was not coming back here, but I am happy he is going to a place where he should get a chance to play.

Oh well at least we got Chris Coste!

Also got Matthews Jr for Stokes, good outfield depth great move by Minaya.

I am excited to hear Big Sarge's reaction in the Phillies broadcast booth the first time Little Sarge does something against the Phillies.

White Sox not interested in bringing Thome back as DH

CHICAGO -- White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told veteran slugger Jim Thome he won't be asked to rejoin the team as a designated hitter.

Thome, who played three-plus seasons with the White Sox before he was traded to the Dodgers on Aug. 31, was interested in returning to Chicago.

General manager Ken Williams gave Guillen the final call on the move, and Guillen decided he couldn't give Thome enough at-bats to justify bringing him back.

"I play him once a week or twice a week. I don't think it was fair for him," Guillen said Monday. He talked to Thome on Sunday and said the veteran slugger understood the situation.

Source

---

Just as I expected.

Ben Sheets signed with the Oakland Athletics today for 1 year and $10 million, plus performance incentives. Sheets didn't do too bad for a guy who did not pitch last season.

Lol don't you and Ken Williams have lunch together?

Yeah every day. I am also a fly on the wall at the GM meetings and I listen in on every phone call between GMs.

Lol it's called mlbtraderumors.com and Twitter people.

Word is that the Twins and Joe Mauer are close on a 10 year extension.

10 years for a catcher is insane. I guess if anyone was going to get it, it would be him. This type of deal is def only possible in AL with the DH to protect him.

He will still get a very long contract. And I agree with Fish. I also think it's insane that the Twins haven't found a new position for him yet. With every season he catches 140 games, he is knocking serious time off his career.

And I really don't think a really long contract such as 10 years is insane, if it is structured right. It's way more common in hockey because if the tight salary cap restrictions, but even in baseball you can make it work.

He will still get a very long contract. And I agree with Fish. I also think it's insane that the Twins haven't found a new position for him yet. With every season he catches 140 games, he is knocking serious time off his career.

And I really don't think a really long contract such as 10 years is insane, if it is structured right. It's way more common in hockey because if the tight salary cap restrictions, but even in baseball you can make it work.

Mauer could theoretically probably play first, but Morneau is there. Unless one wants to DH. They could bring someone random in to catch, or if they still have that Redmond guy.

Mauer could theoretically probably play first, but Morneau is there. Unless one wants to DH. They could bring someone random in to catch, or if they still have that Redmond guy.

Well, they will need to figure something out in the next few years. He is their franchise and is a once in a lifetime type hitter.